1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wal Bass Club.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oddio, Sep 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    I'm fine with it. Will keep me away from doing something crazy.

kasroc and djaxup like this.
  2. kasroc

kasroc

Aug 25, 2016
    Yes, at those prices one has to wonder if they are going after the collector market vs the actual playing gigging musician. I scratch my head...maybe Paul is cashing out??

Still love em bunches tho :)

kozyko and Les Fret like this.
  3. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Hey does anyone know of a 5 string MK2 for sale? I am looking...

4. BWorm

BWorm Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Illinois
    It’s not going to stop me... plenty of time in 26 months to save up the earnings. Still worth every penny.

kasroc, LowEndHum, TrevorR and 3 others like this.
  5. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

Not sure why it's a surprise..... I work for power controls company and every vendor we use raises prices every year 5-15%.... market, cost of living, etc. Why should we expect a small shop builder to be any different. As far as who is their target market.....its too small of a shop to cater to a particular market. Thats why there is a used market. Nothing like spec'ing your own build though.

6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Same here, I work in diesel industry and everything goes up in price every year, sometimes every 6 months.

kasroc and kulit17 like this.
  7. That's so cool! :) Thank you for sharing!
    I've seen a bootleg video on YouTube from the Presto Tour 89-90 (gawd am I that old?) California maybe! Where Geddy uses what I thought was a black 4 string Mk1 with a natural headstock and perhaps an unfinished neck but he also uses his regular black Wal. Can anyone confirm?

Look around 20:53

Looks around at the sight and sounds...

8. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The black Mk1 with natural neck made many appearances. It was a back up.
    On the show with Mr Big, Billy plays it in the encore. Theres actually many pics of Geddy using that one.

But after having a convo with the former Bass Centre manager, I'm not sure if the 2nd black Mk1 was a loaner like the white one he had for one show but never used. The Black one hung around longer.

BrentSimons likes this.
  9. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    All true regarding price increases across markets. The trouble is when your personal salary only gets bumped between 3-3.5% each year. A bit of a spread there...

kasroc, djaxup and Les Fret like this.
  10. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Question: If you place your deposit today does that lock in the final sell price at today's rate, or does that just hold your place in the queue and the final invoice amount is based on whatever the current sell price is at that (future) time?

Or, to put it another way: If you put a deposit on a new Wal ~2 years ago, will you have to pay the additional £250 from yesterday's increase?

TolerancEJ likes this.
  11. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    As I unders
    As I understand it, your initial deposit locks in your price at the time the deposit is placed, i.e., you won't have to pay for future increases.

TrevorR, TolerancEJ and Bob_Ross like this.
  12. kulit17

yes it locks your rate for the build. however the caveat to that is if you change or add any options to you spec after a price increase, the price of that option will reflect current rate; i.e. black/gold hardware, ebony on fretted, polygloss finishes, etc.

so if anyone has an "inkling" of getting a build, i suggest throwing a deposit sooner rather than later. been preaching this for years now it seems. lol

13. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Sign up for better paying gigs or working bands. My paycheck doesn't buy my Wals, my gig money does.

Spec out everything you want now that way its price is locked in at todays rate, even if you think you may eliminate the option sometime during the build. As Kulit said, if you try adding options later you'll pay whatever the price is at that time.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    gmacg, BWorm, 2112 and 4 others like this.
  14. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I was doing great on reducing my collection and selling off instruments I don't use anymore, then this shows up on TB. Recently purchased from BWorm, gorgeous Honduran Mahogany facings and under 10lbs. Couldn't say no to this one, I tried to talk myself out of this for a week.

49608042_10215347936390194_811167920322248704_n.
    49568745_10215348001191814_6295053825384382464_n. 49457213_10215347936510197_255548887664689152_n.

kasroc, gmacg, TWood97 and 17 others like this.
  15. BWorm

BWorm Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Illinois
    Congratulations on owning one of the prettiest Wals I have seen!

This one was just posted to reverb.com I doubt it lasts long at that price...

WAL 5 | Robert´s Basses

16. LowEndHum

LowEndHum

Feb 28, 2017
    USA
    I just saw that one while browsing through Reverb a few minutes ago, that shedua top looks spectacular.

There's also a 1988 Wal Pro for sale on Reverb. Surprised to see it's been up for months.

17. kulit17

Nice one indeed...in Germany too...curious
    .. anyone know if this government shutdown is affecting basses going through customs? Anyone expecting a bass from overseas here or got one in the past week or two?

Musicman1901 and BWorm like this.
  18. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    rogerbmiller said he's looking for a Mk2 5... well there ya go!

Nice that it already has the new Schaller light weights installed.

19. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    5CD804D7-24BA-474A-AD6D-CB055539DD1C. This just popped up, not sure on the price.

MAJOR METAL and TolerancEJ like this.
  20. That means it’s located in Vancouver. Mr. Reimer is a highly respected luthier in this area.

handofseven likes this.