1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warmoth necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AskBass, Aug 6, 2018.

1. YES

37 vote(s)
    74.0%
  2. NO

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  1. Jewce

Jewce

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    That's how I feel with my SR. It's too shallow. Ive got snoop dogg hands. Long and skinny fingers. It causes too much strain on my wrist with such a thin neck. My talman feels great. It's got girth too it. But, a new neck might just work for the OP. Or, a new bass entirely

Raulplaysbass likes this.
  2. AskBass

AskBass

Oct 9, 2016
    I've played the sr700 and it was very comfortable but the sound wasn't my cup of tea (although very versatile). I also played a stingray and l2000 which also felt nice but lakland was like a glove to my hand. I already have a Jazz bass so I see no reason to buy a second one (when i'll buy a new bass it will probably be musicman).

I would have bought the lakland if I didn't have a Jazz bass.

3. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Op go try a Mim jazz bass deluxe or a mim geddy lee if you can! They have the kind of neck you are discribing

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  4. non

non

Aug 4, 2015
    now with everyone's talk about how good the warmoth necks are you got me rethinking a warmoth build i did not go through with because warmoth only offers a 10" fretboard radius. i prefer 12" or flatter.
    if you want a warmoth guitar you get pretty much any radius you want.
    come on warmoth. show the bass players some love!!!

BAG and hennessybass like this.
  5. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    I agree, I've tried time and time again to get use to a P-bass neck and I can't. The nut width and back width is just too thick for my hands and my style of playing. Whenever I pickup a bass with a jazz style neck or a slim taper my hand flies all over the fretboard and I can play with more comfort and precision.

When I first started playing bass I brought my P bass in when I started taking Jazz lessons at my local community college. My teacher saw my technique and said "I love P basses but I think you would do a lot better with a jazz bass". I was pretty apprehensive at that statement but when I played a jazz bass it was so much more comfortable I realized my teacher was right.

BAG likes this.
  6. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    FWIW I have tried just about every Major brand on the market over the past 30 years shy of Sadowsky...

owned and tried:

Fender
    G&L
    B.C. Rich
    The Bass Company
    Peavey
    Ibanez
    Traben
    Dingwall
    Rickenbacker
    ESP/LTD (which was my favorite before Lakland)
    Hartke
    MTD
    Tobias
    Ovation
    Kramer
    Dean
    Schecter
    Musicman
    Warwick

...and I find the Lakland Neck profile to be the most comfortable for me...I now own 5 of them and looking to pick up one more...and I'm in the process of selling off everything that isn't a Lakland (aside form a few basses that have sentimental value)

Lakland is my happy place...YMMV

juancaminos likes this.
  7. aldaa

aldaa Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Alabama
    so this is just me, but I have a slim taper warmoth jazz neck. I also have a bass mods k534 5 string jazz bass. The warmoth neck hurts my hands, but the 5 string doesn't. The 5 string is just more comfortable, and I don't know if it's because of the shape, the thickness, or the width. FWIW, I have somewhat short hands and fingers.

also, the warmoth is very well made and a really nice neck... it just hurts my hand after a while.

8. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    I couldn't agree more. That is why I don't totally agree with al the questions about nut/neck width. I mean...maybe as a starting point. I have played so many different basses in my years and they all feel different for reasons other than shape, width, etc. This goes for both hands. I could never buy a bass with out playing it first.

9. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Just so that the playing field is leveled, please provide pics of your technique.

10. GregT

GregT

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    The neck has everything to do with your comfort. No question about it. What works for one doesn't work for another. A neck can indeed be the cause of pain. Try other neck widths and profiles. My answer is yes, undoubtedly. Find a neck that works for you and it will help immensely if not completely. Or maybe not at all. The neck shape and width can indeed have that much effect on some people...… Like me, for example.
    (Sometimes a post can look a little better after it's been edited.)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  11. there are so many reasons to buy a warmoth neck; quality is the first.

bad technique / hand pain is not one of those reasons though!

12. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    buy the Lakeland ..!

i really like my Warmoth 5ver deluxe J neck ... asym , the skimmer of the 2 nuts ..

not sure i've seen an asymmetrical 4 string neck ..

i'd check the neck specs on that exact Lakeland ..!! backside , radius , ... whatever ... then check Warmoth's specs ..

i'm 61 , with arthritis from 55 yrs piano , 45 bass/gtr ... for me , tooooo skinny/thin is just as painful as toooo wide/fat ... i prefer 9.5 , 10 ish radius ... YMMV

13. bordinco90

bordinco90 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I really like the warmoth necks. I have a couple of p bass necks and they are fantastic! Very nice feeling, I prefer thicker necks like vintage fender p bass necks. These necks feel really nice. I love em!

14. MITTENDORF

MITTENDORF Banned

Aug 6, 2018
    I'd stay away from a Warmoth neck. They have about the sharpest edged fretboard of any neck I've ever touched in my life. Warmoth says that is normal; they don't roll the edges whatsoever because they say once removed you can't put it back. True, but talk about painful. Sharp, sharp, sharp, sharp. No fret dressing or leveling either, but they do slightly taper the fret ends even though you will still feel them sticking out of the fretboard like little staple nibs. They say this is normal too, due to expansion/contraction of the wood even though none of my other basses ever exhibited that. Warmoth says it is up to the customer to dress the frets and to roll the fingerboard edges, so do NOT buy a neck with a finished fretboard from Warmoth since you will have to remove the finish to roll the edges. Summing up, Warmoth necks are very sharp by design-frets and fretboard edges-and aren't made to be in top playable shape right out of the box. However, the back contour is great, just the right size, thin side to side, but they have a nice round back profile-with a bit of heft front to back. But geez they need to at least slightly get rid of that unbelievable sharp fretboard edge. Hurts to play. They are also quite heavy due to their constuction methods. Built well, but a work in progress. As they come, they HURT. You could skin a tomato on the fretboard edge. Most uncomfortable neck I've ever touched in my life.

15. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    What's your action like at the first fret?

16. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    Seems a little ridiculous to pay for a $300-$400 neck just to add more maintenance on top of it. I was considering getting one but due to my financial situation I was gonna wait till I could afford one. This made me think other wise. It seems getting a MIM Fender Jazz bass would be a better purchase.

17. MITTENDORF

MITTENDORF Banned

Aug 6, 2018
    Yes, Warmoth necks are not plug and play. Get out the sandpaper and files if you want the edges remotely comfortable.

18. Btbp

Btbp

Mar 2, 2008
    Everywhere at once
    My experiences and conditions FWIW. I think I've posted this elsewhere but, my main basses have the same neck, Moon J with ebony fretboards, and the J is very narrow, even for a J.

These have a typical Fender radius, I think. My Lakland Skyline Decade has a very similar J profile neck in the nut width, but the fretboard is flat, and it has near mandolin-thin frets. The neck feels overall thicker because it has a chunky gloss finish, unlike my Moons which feel like they are open pore if not satin, which I love.

It's not an apples to apples comparison as the body characteristics are different and therefore position the arms and hands differently, but, I wouldn't call it pain, more like fatigue that I get with the Lakland, despite how solid and stable and, hard to explain, tight the neck is, kinda like a Rick's.

I had all three at a gig, started with the Lakland, and only made it though 2 or 3 songs before I started cramping up and had to swap out for one of Fenders, and then that awkwardness went away immediately.

That is cramping. I've never had hand issues until lately, despite playing with 104 Rotos and with an aggressive right hand fingerstyle technique and not low action, but now it's my left hand middle or ring finger that has started to give me trouble.

On a side note I have to wonder how Skyline necks compare with Lakland USA necks, the latter I've never tried. My Decade's neck is about the only thing holding me back from getting a 44-64 PJ.

On another side note I have to wonder how my Moons compare with more commonplace Fender necks, I should post some pictures.

19. I agree with the comments about the edges.
    Much as i love my two Warmoth's i would never pay for a new one. Over here it would cost me around $650 NZD before shipping. Then I'd still need to have the edges rolled.
    But having only paid around $100 Aud each for mine second hand the $500 it took to fix the fretless and $250 to roll the fretted, I've got two of the best necks ever at under $500 a piece. I may change bodies at some stage but i cant see me ever partying with these two necks.

20. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    It is also possible that your technique is fine, and you are having some inflammation from something in your diet, like bread, grains, even some plants. It's more common than many people know.
    Last week, I experimented with eliminating carbs for 2 days, and my wrists/hands felt like new. I have not had pain playing bass, but normally have stiffness/soreness in my wrists. Seems to have crept back up slighty when I eat bread, but I have cut way back on it.
    Food for thought :ninja: