1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warmoth necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AskBass, Aug 6, 2018.

1. YES

37 vote(s)
    74.0%
  2. NO

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  1. Your trouble may be from technique...
    or neck profile
    or FB radius
    or set up
    or some combination of those.

Everyone is different, so it's hard for us to pinpoint the issue.

If that wasn't enough, it is entirely possible that what feels great for a short time
    might be a very bad choice for a four set gig or
    might only be a problem 3 or 4 months down the line.

If there was one single answer, we'd all be playing the same bass.
    It may take owning several basses for a number of years to find 'the one'.

If you are convinced the the Warmoth neck you want is 'it'
    then go for it.
    If it's not what you thought it would be, it should be easy to sell.

Matthijs and Raulplaysbass like this.
  2. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    You liked the Lakland? Sell your bass and buy the Lakland. Problem solved.:thumbsup:

Raulplaysbass likes this.
  3. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I own several Ibanez basses and one is my main bass. The neck is definitely slim taper. I recently bought an Ibanez P-Bass style bass and the neck is wider and thicker. I experienced the same thing you did-- I had pains in my fretting hand. I switched back to the narrow slim neck and the pain went away.

It makes perfect sense that a slim-profile neck would work better. Don't rule out short scale basses either-- like the Ibanez Mikro bass. Might even try several Ibanez basses and see if you like them. I've always found Fenders too clunky. Even the body shape is not as comfortable as Ibanez. Smaller bodies are easier to hold. Good luck!

Solarmist likes this.
  4. I would absolutely not listen to controversial health advice. If you're worried about healt, see a physician, not a forum like this.

5. I'm curious about how you use your fretting hand. My fretting hand normally don't touch the edge of the fingerboard at all.

6. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    I've noticed the "sharp" fretboard edges too. I've got a blocked & bound Warmoth neck - no pointy frets, but definitely sharp edges to the fingerboard.

Good point.

7. Acoop

Acoop Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Sounds like you're pinching a never somewhere. ... Get in front of a mirror and check your posture, but, be honest. ... Usually, reoccurring pain, comes 10 to 15 mins into playing and much of this is because of bad posture. ... Why do athletes bend their knees? ... I'm 66 and play El & Upright with no reoccurring pain concerns because I addressed my posture years ago when I was having issues with pain. ...

8. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Oh, now you're not an expert!
    :roflmao:

9. Ohoh, shots fired!

TNCreature likes this.
  10. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    There’s no real good solution besides trying out necks, technique, posture food and everything else untill you get it right. Although a consult with a good teacher might give you an answer on posture or technique problems you are not aware of. It wont hurt and is cheaper than a new Lakland. It’s just good to be sure.

If neck shape is indeed the solution to your problem you might also want to have a look at usacg necks. They can make them to very specific measurements. I had them make a copy to the measurements of my old yammie and really liked the result.

11. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I would bet most folks have some kind of hand pain as they age . Wear and tear will do that but what works for me is nice long warm ups . Slow n easy working up to speed . I also use a Via hand exerciser in the car on the way to a gig and maybe at the gig a little , nothing crazy just some light use .

12. aikibass

aikibass Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Could be wrong - but don't Bunny Brunell models have asymmetric necks?

13. aikibass

aikibass Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2009
    And...as an aside - as much as I loved a Geddy Lee I had a bunch of years ago, the shaved neck gave my hands cramps all gig long. Never had that problem with any other neck. So, yeah, neck shape can matter

14. Ron Berenato

Ron Berenato

Mar 26, 2017
    Fret size maybe?
    I've been shopping on the Warmouth website and was stumped when asked to indicate fret size. I know there are big and small frets but I have no idea what is standard (I know I can Google it but I am gun-shy about buying a neck I've never played).The wrong frets can add tension from having to press too hard on the fretboard. Am I right? I play a MusicMan Stingray and those frets are fine. Fret size is just something I've never had to think about and I'm in the middle of a PBass build.

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My favorite fretwire on the fretted Warmoth necks I've used is Dunlop 6105.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  16. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    IMG_0861.JPG
    I loathe it when people use this saying. How about: lot's of ways to skin your grandmother?

Not very cool, is it?
    Btw Yancey there was 27 pounds of pure Maine coon who would not stand for any attempts at skinning- Butcher beware.
    Big cat. Big claws. Big teeth.

Rant over.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    fretno likes this.
  17. hennessybass

hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    HaHa. Just an expression I guess. I don't particularly care for cats, but sorry to offend.

Ever read "The Cat and the Coffee Drinkers" when you were in school??

Raulplaysbass likes this.
  18. MITTENDORF

MITTENDORF Banned

Aug 6, 2018
    At least a skinned cat can't jump all over your new car, scratching the hell out of it-because its owners somehow think it's OK to allow "outside cats" to destroy other people's property.

So yes, there IS more than one way to skin a cat. Really!

BAG likes this.
  19. I just had Carpel Tunnel surgery done on my left wrist 2 months ago (it's still healing), and 3 discs replaced in 2012 for pinched nerves in my neck which caused excruciating pain all down my left arm ... unbelievable pain! I can truly say it's so much easier playing my thin-necked Ibby SRs than the G&L L2000 (with a neck as wide as an Ibby 5er) I used to have. Neck size is the most important factor for bass purchases - for me anyway.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  20. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    Just change your technique! You can play baseball sized necks in your condition if you just changed your technique! (I'm being sarcastic btw)