1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warning about Reverb.com re:pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MGR, Mar 9, 2016.

1. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Just a quick heads up to those of you who use Reverb.com that you should really make sure you contact the seller before you buy something to make sure they actually have it. Twice so far I have had to deal with this issue.

The first time was with an unnamed store (unnamed because they eventually did right by me) who did not have the pedal in stock and made me wait weeks while they tried to rustle one up from the manufacturer. Since this was a discontinued pedal, I was shocked that they did get one from the company, but it took a while.

Just yesterday I found a great deal on an old BOss BF-2 from Rogue music in NYC. I made sure to email first to make sure the pedal was actually in stock and lo and behold it wasn't. This time, however, I was glad I contacted the store first.

I don't know who is responsible for these things, the seller or Reverb.com, but this is just a simple warning that you should verify stock levels before purchase.

TonyP-, spaz21387, petrus61 and 3 others like this.
  2. Never had a problem with Reverb, which is more than I can say for some other places. Seems like a great place to buy. Obviously any forum marketplace is going to have some losers, but I wouldn't view that as being a problem with the marketplace itself, but rather with the individual store or person.

It would probably be more appropriate to list the actually seller that you had problems with (although you say they did right so you don't want to now?), as opposed to the forum that wasn't at all to blame here.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I haven't had a problem but thanks for the heads up because I could've just been lucky.

TonyP- and gebass6 like this.
  4. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm going to be honest that I really haven't had any good luck with Reverb. Whether it be a dishonest seller or them leaving their ad up too long or anything else. I've had probably 5-6 dealings through them and about 4 of those I had to return/had something wrong with them so when it comes to spending more than $50 I steer clear :roflmao:

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I've scored some great deals from Reverb.com sellers, but a lot of sellers cross-list on eBay, Craigslist, and TalkBass (among other places). It's not the website's fault at all - it's entirely on the seller to manage their listings correctly and to update promptly once an item sells on another sites. I've had deals go bad before when an eBay seller managed to sell an item in person via Craigslist but forgot to pull down their eBay listing.

Poor cross-listing management is hardly a new problem - it just becomes a more visible issue when more options are available for buying and selling musical gear.

6. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Exactly. Which is why I am warning people to verify the person has the pedal before buying. So far, 100% of my transactions on Reverb have involved out of stock pedals, although to be fair, I've only done two transactions.

7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I've only bought from individuals on Reverb, not stores. No problems, and they take Paypal most of the time. I didn't realize there were shops/ stores selling through Reverb.

8. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I've never had any problem on Reverb. It seems like Reverb doesn't get a lot of traffic (compared to ebay for example) and I suspect sellers forget they have stuff up for sale on Reverb. Not an excuse. But I suspect that might be part of the problem.

smperry and blindrabbit like this.
  9. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    I never had a problem with this until a couple weeks ago. Guitar Pedal Shoppe had a Nemesis Delay listed along with a Lunar Phaser. I even messaged them ahead about getting a deal for buying both. Then after I sent payment they inform me that the Nemesis is back ordered.

I am planning on writing Reverb a message to their suggestion email about making sure sellers only list what is in stock and ready to ship.

Edit: I will also dd, the fact that the online stores flood Reverb is also annoying. I like to view new listings, but 90 percent it seems is stores listing almost their entire inventory. I'm not sure how Reverb could address this, maybe have stores have their own section or something. Sometimes it's good to browse when I can't find anything used, but trying to filter that stuff out is tedious.

I do love Reverb though for buying and selling. I can almost always find whatever it is I am looking for. And as a seller I always sell whatever I put up, usually within a day or two.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    itsalljustaride and CRich0205 like this.
  10. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I had a similar issue buying a used pedal directly from Guitar Center online last year - I put it in my cart, checked out, and paid... only later in the week to be called by the store and told the pedal had already been sold in the store before I ordered it.

I haven't had that issue with Reverb yet, but thanks for the heads up!

11. Never delt with reverb. I always find better deals elsewhere. But thanks for heads up for future purchases. My biggest issue lately has been selling gear actually. I've had several times selling on eBay where the buyer doesn't pay for like a week and then they finally respond with they don't have the money or they changed their mind. I guess evays been on the decline and people just don't care anymore. But it's really frustrating. If you don't have the loot, or aren't sure you want it you shouldn't bid on it,

hintz likes this.
  12. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've had some issues with Reverb too- it is certainly a more casual feeling environment for a seller which I appreciate, but the downside of that is that more issues tend to slip through. I put Reverb somewhere in between Craigslist and EBay in that regard, but so far it is my choice if something isn't moving on the local Craigslist or on here and I've always been able to sort out the issues that have come up (at least there is some degree of moderation/organized-assistance between buyer/seller unlike Craigslist or Talkbass).

13. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    i bought a DOD 250 thinking it was the newer version with LED and True Bypass but instead i got the 90s version which still sounds rad but still i feel like the people there just use stock photo online to try to push their pedals and give mis-informations. TBH not the first time this happened, it happened to me on TB before when i want to buy a pedal ask the seller whether it is the newer version but instead i got the older version. Once bitten twice shy, i need to get bitten twice to learn a freaking lesson lol.

moral of the story dont believe sellers on the internet when buying used, and always make sure to get a picture no matter how trustworthy you think the seller will be.

14. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I think the problem with these online shop is just that the market is now over saturated with online shops where people can list their used pedals/Bass/Guitars/amp.

eBay, online forum like TB, The gear page, craiglist, reverb, proguitarshop.

Sellers tend to post their item at all the websites and when they already sell off the pedal, they forget that they need to update it at all their other website that the items are already sold.

This is the main issue IMO.

FaithNoMan likes this.
  15. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    This problem isn't limited to Reverb or musical gear in general. The last item that I bought online that was "in stock" was no longer available 3 days after I placed the order.

I will go out of my way looking online for stores that have an item "in stock" and order it so I could have it in a couple of days instead of weeks. Well, the store that has the item "in stock" orders the item from their distributor, it takes them about a week before it arrives to them so they could relabel the shipping address.

16. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

You know who I never once had a "backorder" issue with? Talkbass. Reverb has become the latest go to for the eBay hacks and retail outlets looking to push demo gear, usually with inflated shipping. If it's something I absolutely have to have, maybe. Otherwise, I'll wait it out and give my business to the community.

17. ThuzzleFump

ThuzzleFump All your bass...

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    I've had good experiences buying on Reverb. I checked the sellers out before buying. I also did not pick on basis of lowball pricing. I'll buy there again.

blindrabbit likes this.
  18. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Never had a problem on reverb has a buyer. Had a few people back out as a seller but that has been a recurring theme on eBay and here in the classifieds.

blindrabbit likes this.
  19. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser

Feb 17, 2011
    New England
    I've only purchased on Reverb twice (just last night was the second time, so waiting on that).
    Both times were through the same retail shop out of GA.
    They followed up to ensure I am enjoying the first pedal (brand new and $30 cheaper than any other well known retail interwebs outfit)

Like anywhere else online, you have to be careful who you deal with, of course.
    Fine tune your cow-poop detector, and NEVER pay for inflated shipping costs.
    Just like on Amazon or wherever, if I find a sweet deal on an item with shipping costs that make it the same price as anywhere else, I walk away.
    Any hint of dishonesty on the part of a seller (retail or private), and I go elsewhere.

blindrabbit likes this.
  20. Facebook user

Facebook user

Feb 14, 2016
    I think your warning is for online buying in general. I personally have purchased quite a bit off Reverb and it's actually my preferred place to buy music gear. If sellers have their stuff cross listed that is not a Reverb issue, that is a Reverb, Amazon, Ebay, Craigslist, any other online marketplace issue. It sucks but as long as the seller is upfront and prompt when dealing with it it's not much of a problem.

ThuzzleFump and blindrabbit like this.