Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zebbie, Dec 12, 2003.

1. zebbie

zebbie

Oct 30, 2003
    Hi, anyone here know where I can get a replacement neck for a warwick corvette? I just dropped mine and it now has a MAJOR crack near the headstock. SIGH.

Any estimates of how much it would cost to repair the damage? Don't have pictures but the damage is pretty extensive.

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Contact Warwick.
    Is it still under warranty?
    Regardless, when you contact Warwick send
    along your Serial Number & Warranty Reg. #

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Actually, I don't think you can get a new neck from Warwick. Apparently, they insist on having the serial numbers match necks and bodies.

At least this was what i was told when I tried to get a replacement neck from Warwick. I wen through a couple different dealers, each of whom contacted the Warwick rep. Rep said I was basically SOL. Needless to say, I was less than pleased with Warwick's "customer service".

It may be different now.

4. zebbie

zebbie

Oct 30, 2003
    Thanks for the quick replies. I've just mailed Warwick about the neck and I'm waiting for their reply now.

Planet Boulder: How did you solve your problem eventually? A luthier?

How much would sending the bass to a luthier cost? Anyone have any idea?

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Well, in my case, I wanted to exchange a fretless for a fretted neck. Since Warwick wouldn't comply, I could have had the fretboard replaced by a luthier. I chose to just trade the bass instead as the luthier was charging more than I cared to pay.

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Some Stuff:

Re: Warwick crack repair

The best way to get service is to
    not ask them to sell/ship a
    replacement neck.

Rather, ask them about their solution and
    what you need to do.

Example:

June 26, 2001 -
    rickreyn posted

"I bought a Warwick Corvette Standard 5-string in October 2000 from Rik’s Music in Knoxville and had it shipped to Tampa. I immediately had it professionally set up with new strings. The guitar had the wenge fret board with an ovangkol neck. About four months later, I again had the guitar set up and the tech noted a slight twist in the neck when he lowered the action a bit. He advised me to watch it to see if it got any worse. Playing wasn’t affected. At that time I e-mailed Dana B. Goods (Warwick distributor) and told them about the problem. They told me at that time that if I would send the guitar to them, they’d evaluate it and replace the neck if necessary. About three weeks ago, I was about to have new strings put on and my tech said that I shouldn’t bother because the neck had worsened. I packed the guitar up and sent it out to Rob at Dana B. Goods and he replaced my neck with a “firmer” all-wenge neck. This was all accomplished over my two-week vacation with no “down time.” Thought everyone might want to know about this warranty success story. Hats off to Dana B. Goods and Warwick for backing their product!

7. You will probably have to send in your damaged neck to warwick and they will send you a replacement.

8. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I also tried to get a replacement neck from warwick. All i can say is good luck, they have HORRIBLE customer service. Your best bet is to fix it yourself if you're good at that stuff, or have a good luthier do it. It'll probably be expensive.

To get someone to replace the truss rod on my warwick, it was $800. I paid 900$ for the bass, so i sold it, "as is" on ebay for $400 instead of repairing it. The guy who bought it was cool with the broken truss rod, and i got some of my investment back.

Edit: My warranty was voided by not having my bass setup and adjusted by a "qualified warwick service center" or some bs like that.

Inter-Bass likes this.
  9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Like some other manufacturers, Warwick requires you to send in your damaged neck before they will send out a replacement one. The replacement neck will then have the serial number of the damaged neck stamped onto it. I guess this is to prevent people from buying just the neck and creating forgeries. The cost of the neck is pretty expensive. I think it is almost $300.

10. zebbie

zebbie

Oct 30, 2003
    $300 to get a new neck? OUCH. I don't think I can get the warranty thing too because I got my bass used.

Hmmm.. I think I'll try to find out how much it will cost to get it fixed at a luthier and if it costs too much, I guess I'll try to sell it off as-is. How much do you think it'll be worth then? It's a Corvette Std. 4

Sigh

11. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA

thats ****ing ridiculous! so youre not allowe to setup your own bass? :rolleyes:

12. thadood

thadood

Jun 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    You're right. They give you the tools to set it up when you buy it. Why do they do this, if you're going to void the warranty?

13. That doesn't sound right. How can they know if a bass has been set up? You think they get out their calipers and measure the height of your strings from the neck, or the distance of the saddles from the JUST A NUT II, when you return your bass for warranty service?

14. just send it in to Warwick. my friend broke his Thumb's Neck and he sent it in, they fixed it, and, as I recall, they hadn't even charged him for it!

15. I've contacted DanaB.Goods regarding my Pro TubeIV and they were awesome. I'd go through them first.

16. I had some probs. with my thumb and after e-mailing Rob there tech. got a responce in 20 min. no s#$t. VERY PLEASED.

17. Ok, I know this thread is over 6 years old, but if I may help anyone with the same problem.

I have to replace a neck on my Thumb Bleached Blond. :bawl:

The guys at Warwick told me to send back my broken neck (through my local supplier), and they will send a brand new one... For a 1000$ plus shipping and other fees... :eek:

I got in touch with the great people at Moses Graphite, and they can custom-make a neck for any bass imaginable. and the price was in the 300$ range.

I got a Moses on my '76 Fender, and the feel is amazing!

Only thing: its black...

Hope this may help.

Nick

18. Ack! Put a disclaimer next time, my Bleach Blond almost read that!!

Not to defend the crazy cost... but the neck on these beauties are hardly something they keep around. I'm sure they'd have to make a brand new one, which is quite intricate. It would definitely be custom shop.

19. You also need to be a supporting member to advertise things for sale here- even in reply to a request, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: You might also want to review the commercial user's policy. :)

20. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago