1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Well, time to eat some crow...(sadowsky content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lesfunk, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

After being a Sadowsky skeptic for quite a while and offending a few folks in the process,(my apologies) I went and ordered a MS4 Natural Ash/Maple.
    I decided that I want a High quality, Light weight, Punchy, Jazz bass. I have been unable to find a Fender style bass that fits my needs since I got rid of my Old, Modified fender years ago.
    After reading the testimonials of Sadowsky players and seeing the rabid following Rogers basses have on TB, I decided to Take the plunge and order a new Metro. The only thing I wish it had was the graphite reinforcement in the neck. I'm too cheap to spring for an NYC.
    The only other trouble is that the retailer I ordered it from took it's photo off their site so quickly that I can't drool over it until it comes.

Wish me luck.

2. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Anti sadowsky, but decided to order one w/o playing one? I hope it works out for you. Sadowsky basses are great instruments. I haven't played a metro yet, but the Tokyo I had plays just like the NYC I have now.

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Good luck with it. My metro hybrid is awesome. I woundnt worry too much about the graphite bars. Enjoy

Rob

4. Good luck with your metro. I got the email today saying that my UV metro should be on the way soon.

Have taken a risk not having tried the instrument before but with Sadowsky, I think that the risk is lessened.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Good luck and enjoy!

I have owned 20+ basses in the last couple of years (still have about a dozen) and my Sadowsky NYC Jazz 4 is the best one I have ever played. I was impressed so much with the 4 string that I bought a Metro 5 recently (pick it up Monday!).

They are great basses. Period. Are they better than Lull, Alleva Coppola and the other Jazz clones? I have no idea. But the sound I get from my Sadowskys is unreal to my ears.

6. Lesfunk

the risk of purchasing a bass unplayed is real, but I have a lot of experience with fender and fender style basses and so many other pro and semi pro players swear by the sound and playability as well as mr. Sadowskys reputation, I feel that my risk is minimalized.
    My past criticism of Sadowsky instsruments was always that I thought they were too much $$ for a bolt on (albeit nice) J Bass.
    But I've decided that if all it takes is a little more money to get a Jazz bass that can inspire me, it's worth it.

7. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Lakland JO FTW!!!

oh, sorry. wrong topic. sadowsky's are nice too. carry on.

8. Lesfunk

Thats funny, because one of the J basses I owned previously was a Ash/Maple Skyline JO with Passive Fralins and It just didn't cut through the mix like I wanted.

9. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    not sure what to tell you. my Alder/Rosewood JO is a beast. but in all honesty, they're not for everybody.

such as Sadowsky. i like them, i like the quality, i like the construction, i like the tone, but so far i haven't found one that really sounds like me. so i won't be buying one. but they sure look purty!
    and dammitall! a good bass is a good bass, and i'm happy for you! rock hard, my friend, and rock long!

10. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Although this has been said to death here on TB, I'll go ahead and restate it, as my own experience was exactly the same:

When I first heard/played a Sadowsky in person, I wasn't that impressed for the price point. It felt really comfortable to play, very fenderesque, and seemed to have a decent and workable tone. At the time, my intitial take was much like yours: great bass, too much money for what you're getting.

But then I took a chance on a MV5 Metro. I even traded a beautiful Wenge necked MTD 535 (crazy right!?!?!). When I got this bass on the gig, I finally got 'it'. This bass sat in the mix unlike any other instrument I had owned prior. It remained thick and supportive, no matter where I set the EQ on bass/amp, and no matter how dense the mix was. The comments I got from band members was that the Sadowsky 'produced the tone that non-bassists expect on a bandstand', which IME is 'big and fat with clarity throughout the entire range'. I play a supportive role in the bands I'm involved with, and I can honestly say that the Sadowsky worked better for my 'meat and potatoes with occasional solos' approach than every single bass I've tried, including Smith/MTD/Roscoe/Modulus, etc.

I would love to have another Sadowsky in the future. Most likely a Metro PJ5!!! Until then, I should also add that a Pbass with a Jpickup is more 'me' than any hi-end active bass, including Sadowsky.

11. Yep. Same story here.

12. jedibass5

jedibass5

Feb 14, 2008
    I am the proud owner of a vintage style sad as of last friday. best freakin' investment of my life. it plays effortlessly and the tonal range is outstanding. have yet to put a picture up on the sadowsky thread but will get to it eventually. if yall wanna see i can be coerced into posting a pic. lol

13. I've seen quite a few threads like this over the years. I think it is about time that I get one. I'm having a major GAS attack this week. It might pass, but if I had the money in my pocket I would be getting a RV5 today.

14. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston

+1. My Metro was absolutely perfect-no dead spots.

Congrats and enjoy!

cheers,
    Kevin

15. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Yep. Actually, all the metros and all the early NYC's didnt have them. Its something Roger did to help with stability, not that his necks needed it. As a matter of fact, my metro Hybrid neck kills!!! I love that bass. Its sounds perfect for my style and most of my gigs. It could literally be my only bass and I'd seriously be happy with just it and I own 4 NYC's in addition to it!! The more I gig it, the more I love the tone, neck, etc. Congrats on your new metro. Do a couple shows and post a review

Rob

16. Lesfunk

I plan on giving it a good workout. I would love to try one with a VTC. The ash/maple will be pretty bright. A VTC might give additional tone options

17. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Some players love the VTC, some dont. I never use it. Its always on 10. I never used it on Old Fenders, either. I just set my amp kinda flat w little eq. I keep the treble flat on the bass and boost the bass to suit my taste and warm up the stage. Thats it. Pretty much plug and play. Ive found many players tend to have their amps all eq'd out because they have them set for their other basses. Real bright this way which makes u want a vtc. Its important to know most amps sound fine with these basses kinda set at 12o'clock or flat. Try that before u invest in a VTC.

Rob

18. Lesfunk

I use markbass onstage because I have to use very little eq on the amp . Basically flat.
    I usually only fiddle with the low or low mids if the stage is boomy.Usually All my basses sound good with the amp eq flat.

I'm quite familiar with the old Sadowsky pre amp. I've owned two outboard units over the years and found them to be pretty good. I don't know if they've changed over the years.
    The VTC is something new to me

19. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    If it's any solace, I too was a Sadowsky naysayer.

This past October, I was in NYC. I hopped on the subway and went to Sadowsky. Picked up a hybrid PG metro. Didn't know it was a Metro. Thought it was a NYC model until it was pointed out to me it wasn't. Played a NYC Vintage Jazz 4. Was smitten, and bought it less than three weeks later. And I'm an Alembic guy.

They are all that, particularly when it come to Fenderesque intstruments. Roger knows what he's doing.

I'm looking forward to my next Sadowsky. They're that good.

Alan

20. Lesfunk

I had some sweet alembics in the past. I had an Elan which I believe was a forerunner of the europa.
    I also owned a 20th anniversary Series II. I don't remember the actual number.
    Got rid of them both.
    The Elan had such a thin neck, that it would go out of adjustment during a gig as the stage lights warmed the room.
    The 20th anniversary was a work of art but practically unplayable.
    It was like 13 pounds and I had to fully extend my left arm just to play a Low F. Not practical but amazing workmanship