1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you know about Avatar bass cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jnumme, Jan 4, 2012.

1. jnumme

jnumme Low End To No End Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Muskegon, Michigan
    I'm looking at possibly purchasing a b410 cab not the neo from Avatar, but I haven't heard or seen one in person. They seem reasonably priced and are made in America with American parts, which is great but I need more insight.

2. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    A quick search will answer this many times over. The Avatar Owners Club:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/avatar-owners-club-pt-2-a-542084/

Parts 1 & 2 are a great place to start. In my limited time using them I have found them to be excellent cabinets in every way and their customer service is second to none as well, especially when you factor their value. Can't go wrong IMHO.

3. jnumme

Sep 19, 2010
    Muskegon, Michigan
    Thanks nervous

4. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    By all means, read through the links but, to answer the question directly, Avatar builds a good product. I find them to be really good cabs, not great cabs, but really good cabs, especially when you take price into consideration.

5. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Sep 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    If it's one of the old ones with delta 10s pass on it.

6. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    + 1

I'd stick with the newer ones...the $100 difference between the ceramic and neos will be well worth it when you are carrying the cab and when the tone doesn't sound like garbage. I got the 2x10 with neos and the sound is beastly..I can only imagine how great the 4x10 would sound with the neo drivers.

7. I have 2 B410 Neos powered by Carvin DCM2000L (Bridged at 1 Ton) I can do CPR from the Stage on someone across the room!

Seriously! They sound great! I use the power for Low end headroom and they really fill a room with "Throb" without sounding pushed too hard! ....And at the end of the night, you will love not having the pounds to lift and carry! I have photos in my Facebook photos!

:bag:

8. jnumme

Sep 19, 2010
    Muskegon, Michigan
    Neo ok

9. jnumme

Sep 19, 2010
    Muskegon, Michigan
    Thats what i want plus maybe alittle AED action would be cool too.

10. DLaunder

DLaunder

Sep 8, 2010
    NH
    I own both a B210 Ceramic in 8 ohm and the B410 Neo in 4 ohm. When I play large venues I use both cabs at 2.67 ohms off a single channel of my Carvin HT750 (350 watts) and it's plenty loud and clean. If I need more power (haven't yet) I use my Carvin DCM2000. At practice I use either the 410 or the 210 (depending on how many guitarists I'm playing with) with my Genz STL900.

I find that the 210 is a bit "warmer" and "rounder" in tone over the 410, but the 410 is "faster" and "grinds" a bit more. I find that they match really well with my tube preamps, but I can't speak to how they would sound with a SS funk style rig like Eden, MB, SWR, or the like. I would like to try them with a MB F1, F500, or a Genz Shuttle for those gig where I'm doing a lot of funk style playing.

+1 on Dave's customer service! I converted the 210 from an old Delta rig to a 4 ohm Neo and finally the 8 ohm ceramic it is today and he was assume in getting me everything I needed quickly and at a killer price. Bass Player did a review on the 410 a while back that I'm sure you can find with a quick search.

11. J Gold

J Gold Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Houston,TX
    I have the 410, with the LineX and metal grill...it sounds great, and light enough to carry arround, but very sturdy and well built. If I ever need another cabinet, its gonna be an Avatar.

12. Pbruno

Pbruno

Feb 14, 2011
    Avatar Cabs are great. I have the b212 Neo 500w 4 ohms.
    It rattals the house.
    Dave from Avatar is great, and will answer all your questions.
    I play through a GK bacline 600 300W Head, and have broken some glasses in the house. The sounds that I can get out of it is incredable

13. I've worked on the inside of two of their cabs. They had nice void free 3/4" plywood with excellent construction methods. They were a little light on the bracing but the hefty plywood probably makes that a moot point.

14. Hammertime3

Hammertime3

Apr 23, 2008
    Delaware
    Dave's number one! I e-mailed him a few days ago about a cabinet I bought privately and he was back to me in no time. Great service!

15. jnumme

Sep 19, 2010
    Muskegon, Michigan
    Thanks guy's I'm going to go with two 8ohm neo blonde tolex 410's

16. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    Why do you say that? The older ceramic are more efficient, and handle more wattage (in theory).

Not to say there aren't advantages to the neo's such a slightly lower frequency response and lighter weight.

Anyway, I have the older ones, and they work just fine :bassist:

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  17. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Sep 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    The first deltas had a 1.8mm xmax. Definitely not suitable for bass guitar. This is the generation my cab is from. It's a very puny cab in terms of sound, and not adequate to compete with a drummer let alone a drummer and a guitarist.

18. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Nice! Post pics when they come!!! :hyper:

19. f.vega

f.vega

Sep 3, 2009
    I just got two of the older Kappa pro 10' 410 cabs, and they f$!#$^%^ing heavy but I don't hear the drummer anymore:spit:
    And the sound great

20. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    I've had 2 B410 Neos for a year and a half, pumping
    800watts through them with a Markibass LM III - 800
    and they are like cannons.

I'm still in love with them. They've never given me a bit of
    trouble and take everything I can dish out without ever
    breaking a sweat.

Plus, at only 63lbs apiece I can wrestle them into my backseat
    solo and without hurting my old back either.

I swear by 'em.

:bassist::bassist::bassist: