1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What resource 'really' got you started ?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by josh2slk, May 24, 2012.

1. josh2slk

josh2slk

May 6, 2012
    Hello good people :) fairly common question that I want to ask but pay attention to the little details.

What book/cd/DVD/resource 'REALLY' got you started on playing JAZZ style?

I mean a book/cd/DVD/resource that:
    - teaches jazz bass at a level not tooo beginner to be boring and annoying but at the same time not too complex and overwhelming
    -shows you what you need to know and not wander away from it too much
    - is aimed At the intermediate player to advanced

I mean a book/cd/DVD/resource that does not:
    -start up by showing how to hold a bass/change strings / parts of the bass etc
    -

2. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    When I was first learning to play jazz, I spent some time listening to and playing along with the Jamey Aebersold play-along materials. http://www.jazzbooks.com/

3. jsbachonbass

jsbachonbass

May 16, 2006
    Denton, TX
    Creating Jazz Bass Lines by Jim Stinnett

Starts with a jazz blues progression playing roots only, and then shows you how to add 1/2 steps, 3rds, 5ths, 7ths, etc to build more complex lines. If you take the concepts like the books says and extract all the permutations, annd in all keys, this book will keep you busy for a while.

4. josh2slk

josh2slk

May 6, 2012
    Thanks guys very good suggestions

5. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    The Carol Kaye stuff for me.

6. The best resource for me..... a real live flesh and blood teacher!

7. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
  8. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

May 9, 2011
    Los Angeles, Ca
    My teacher

9. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    I'm working on walking bass lines and have been working with Ed Friedland's book, as well as Me Bay's Jay Hungerford and Ed Fuqua's book. All very good books with their own virtues, but what's finally got my muscle memory and mental working synchronized is Todd Johnson's Walking Bassline DVD/book series.
    I'm much better at getting ahead of myself 'theoretically', but given my sometimes scattered practice schedule, I wasn't getting it engrained in my playing. There's nothing in the Todd Johnson approach that isn't in the Ed Friedland book, but what Ed condenses into one or two exercises Todd has maybe 10, so for someone like me that 's just starting in this 'way', that's very useful. I'm getting the idea and the implementation -- with Friedland's book I kept going back to previous exercises because I was more concentrating with getting the implementation and was losing the idea at work below.

I expect this sort of thing is very different with different students. I also expect the books I've already gathered will be even more useful once I get through the Todd Johnson 'school'.

10. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    +1 on the teacher
    But, within the parameters of the OP's original question, also ... the Ron Carter and Ray Brown books

11. josh2slk

josh2slk

May 6, 2012
    I hear alot of good things about the Todd Johnson's resource definitely will consider it :)

12. mjbing

mjbing

May 5, 2005
    Western Oklahoma
    Band in a Box :D

13. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    Jamey Aebersold, The Charlie Parker Omnibook, The New Real Book and Band in a Box.

I also had a very strong classical background with a lot of music theory and so the "math" already made sense to me.

edit: Oh yeah, Chord Studies for Electric Bass by Rich Appleman and Joe Viola. Nothing more than a sight reading exercise but it takes you from the bottom of the fingerboard to the top of the ledger lines in 2 bars.

14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Bruce gertz - Walking bass lines- Good stuff
    Also transpose tunes.
    Light as A Feather -- Chick Corea was my first Jazz experience.

15. Progressive Bass: Beginner to Advanced by Gary Turner and Brenton White. Gave good tips and riffs for blues, rock and jazz. Also taught me a lot about transposing and scales. Then I got a teacher and I'm working through the rockschool grades (nearly finished 6). It doesn't teach bass, but my teacher constantly advises me on how to improve my technique. Teacher is much better than the book, but that's to be expected.

16. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    YouTube + TalkBass + studybass.com + musictheory.net. This was all augmented by playing A LOT since I was the only bass player at my school.

I also already loved jazz, so I was listening to it 24/7 and internalized a lot of the things I wanted to be able to play.

17. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    This is by far the best resource followed by listening to recordings.

18. CraigTB

CraigTB

Feb 16, 2012
    Does anyone care to explain a little more how you use Band In A Box and the Real Book?

19. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    With Band in a Box you are playing along with a band minus your instrument. The Real Book provides the charts