What's so special about John Entwistle?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FunkyYeti, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Roger W

Roger W Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Baltimore USA
    Nonsense. He has a voice just like Lennon had voice, but to say he was the equivalent in soloing to Beck, Hendrix, Santana, or Peter Green is just fanboy talk.

2. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    Nobody is saying that he was a better soloist than the names you mention, we are just trying to expel the myth that he couldn't do guitar solos which he could and still can do. By the way except for Hendrix who is obviously brown bread how are the other guitarists currently doing? I bet they are not filling stadiums like Pete currently is.

3. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Which Peaches? There were about five of them over the years. So I think it would be Peaches VS Peaches.

4. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Perhaps Mr. Townshend can explain it:

MG Wolf likes this.
  5. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Going with your total LACK of 'rationale': Mariah Carey doesn't play guitar, yet you compare her to Pete Townshend.

6. Roger W

Roger W Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Baltimore USA
    I’m pretty sure that they’re able to play the music that they want to play to the size audience they want to play it to. Having been an audience member at a stadium show once in 87 or 88, I decided to never do it again no matter who the act was. I don’t understand wanting to play a stadium unless one only interest is the money.

7. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Let's stop the madness. Pete is one of the best rhythm guitarists ever-- a fine fingerpicker, a guy who knows his chord voicings, and also a guy who knows how to layer acoustic and electric guitars in recordings.
    He's often freely admitted that he's not a Hendrix-level soloist (no one is), but I really enjoy his lead playing.

Rev12_11, Roger W and StereoPlayer like this.
  8. The Who wouldn't be The Who without Pete Townsend.

Because of this...John rocks!

bobyoung53 likes this.
  9. The Rolling Stone magazine has ranked John Entwistle ahead of Jaco Pastorius in their list of the (IIRC) best 50 bass-players of all times ..... :):D:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: .. come on ...

10. Comparatively speaking, apples and oranges. Those lists are not very good. They are completely two different types of artist.

11. They should consider this in the first place I guess ... :D

StereoPlayer likes this.
  12. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey

He was the the first bass guitarist to command as much attention as the lead guitar, he helped pioneer the first round wound bass strings (rotosound) which allowed for him to accomplish my first point. One of the first (if not the first) electric bass solos in a rock and roll song. Between Himself and Keith Moon, they created a rhythm section like the world had never heard before.

13. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    On their "100 greatest guitarists" list a few years ago, Johnny Ramone was number 28, and John McLaughlin was number 68.
    You have to remember that Rolling Stone started as a pseudo-underground newsprint periodical when rock music was felt to be a revolutionary tool, and they're still trying to hold onto a shred of that counterculture identity. Johnny Ramone was hugely responsible for spreading a sort of proletariat anti-establishment movement, while McLaughlin was "merely" a very brilliant player and composer.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  14. Yes but then it would be more advisable to create two distinct categories and I’m ok with it .. the mystic revolutionaries and the musicians-only.
    I’ve never been a reader or Rolling Stone or other similar magazines, but piling everything up and putting number and marks without a definite criterion is a little laughable in my opinion.
    Consider that John Entwistle also ranked much higher than a bass monster such as Ron Carter !!! How come, come on ...
    Entwistle recorded the albums of The Who, Carter recorded music for half the world (leaving individual skills aside), hundreds of recordings, many of them regarded as masterpieces of contemporary music .. sorry but I can’t and I don’t buy Rolling Stone’s position in this regard.

15. ZBirdV8

ZBirdV8

Feb 26, 2012
    Detroit Michigan
    I like this. It's very grown up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  16. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Yes, but Ron Carter has done nothing to revolutionize the bass guitar string industry!
    ;-)

17. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    Mariah does, in fact, play guitar.

18. I only use flatwound strings so he didn’t do anything for me actually :woot:

dougjwray likes this.
  19. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Not only that, but Pete doesn't have a five-octave vocal range! :vomit::D

20. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    Just because you don't use rounds doesn't mean that universally Entwistle didn't revolutionize bass strings.....Doh!. I guess if you only do walking type bass lines like the over hyped James Jamerson and Carole Kaye then obviously Entwistle would not influence you. But the majority would class Entwistle as one of the greatest Bass Guitarist and innovators there has ever been.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021