What's so special about John Entwistle?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FunkyYeti, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Extremely unlikely this is.

2. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I like Entwhistle, but Townshend sounds like a tool here to be honest. "Unattractive" playing bass with your fingers?? tf?? But onesies and bad haircuts are cool?

bobyoung53 and DJ Bebop like this.
  3. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Doh! :banghead:

I meant 2000 of course. :roflmao:

4. Lowendtech

Accurate, as he is.

DJ Bebop, BillMason and NoiseNinja like this.
  5. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    My honest opinion about Pete Townshend would have me banned, so I'll refrain from that.

stevieg and DJ Bebop like this.
  6. Lowendtech

I really liked his guitar playing style while I was growing up (however Entwistle was my inspiration) but Pete is full of twaddle.

DJ Bebop likes this.

7. I saw Entwistle at the Call in Providence in 1999, I had seen him the night before at Sir Morgan's Cove in Worcester.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    mikewalker, RyanOh and DJ Bebop like this.

8. Bill is a great rock and roll and blues bassist, this is live from 1964. I stole lots of his riffs when I was a kid first learning but he is the complete opposite of someone like Entwistle, he played the bottom and played it well, locked in with Charlie Watts.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    MichelD, mikewalker and DJ Bebop like this.
  9. Keith played probably ten or twelve tunes out of their whole catalogue, Keith is good though and actually Ron wood is the best out of the bunch on bass. Don't underestimate Bill's playing though. He probably played bass the most of Exile on Main Street which was about 3 songs, a few before and a few earlier. Bill played the vast majority of Stone's tunes.

mikewalker and DJ Bebop like this.

10. I saw him play from about ten feet away for a whole night once in a small club, he had a very light touch, I was actually surprised, when he did his triplets it was almost like a butterfly's wings touching the strings.

11. Cocaine was not real common until the late 60's, early 70's. They were pill heads, speed, same with The Beatles, a lot of 60's musicians used speed to keep going, even Johnny Cash, Don Everly etc. That and booze.

12. From Chris Squire:

I think the first three Rickenbacker basses were imported around 1964. Pete Quaife, the bassist for The Kinks, bought one. Then John Entwistle from The Who bought one. As for the third one, I asked the manager of the store if I could get an employee discount. He said I could, and so I picked up that one. McCartney also had a real early one that the Rickenbacker owners brought over for them and gave Paul his 4001 which he still has to this day and is supposed to still use on recordings at times.

13. He was a trumpet player, then a french horn player, he tried guitar but his fingers were too big and he liked the low sounds of Duane Eddy so he bought a bass. He was never really a guitarist.

14. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Entwistle, Squire, Macca, JPJ, Casady, Bruce, and a few others in that 60's-70's zone - these were the players that took the bass guitar to a whole different place - not just, "really great bass playing" but, at the time, unconventional playing, leading to where we are today. You may not like all the music, but its important to know your history.

mikewalker, DJ Bebop and bobyoung53 like this.
  15. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    +1. He tells the story of the song--what we should all aspire to do.

mikewalker, DJ Bebop and Funky Ghost like this.
  16. I love Keith Moon and love his playing so I'm not bashing him at all but here's the video:

Keith Moon Passes Out at the Cow Palace November 20, 1973 and is Replaced by Scott Halpin.

17. I just read this whole thread and I will say that younger players may not get what an innovator and bass star he was in his day and how he was most likely a primary influence on a lot of later bass stars., but if anyone wants to know how to "get" Entwistle, listen to this album, there's some great clean bass lines on it and he wrote it all and sang lead.

18. Cloven Hoof

Cloven Hoof Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Texas
    Here is one example of why he was a big deal

Rocknroller4 and mikewalker like this.
  19. UglyBuzzard

UglyBuzzard Gold Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2021
    Southern California
    The Ox was not of this earth - those that heard, seen, or conversed with understand. There are a few bass gods and then there is John!

20. Wibble666

Wibble666

Apr 20, 2021
    I couldn’t get past the fact that this thread was started on April 1 ...

UglyBuzzard likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021