Which is the best one pot fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cnltb, Jul 8, 2019.

1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    i've tried the erupter and hated it.
    I've also tried a diy thing and just like some other diy pedals I tried, I found it lacking...

There must be more out there.

What say you?

Organic ,dynamic, bass friendly...which one does it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    cnltb and Molnfabrik like this.
  3. Molnfabrik

Molnfabrik

Jul 8, 2019
    Paris, FR
  4. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

More of a dirty boost, but I LOVE my 5th Gear v1. One knob...

5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I'd also love to try the Joe Gore 'Duh'.
    Have had my eyes on it for quite a long time but want to try before I buy, it being a guitar pedal the bass retention of which I have heard varying accounts.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  7. adamajah

adamajah Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Frostgiant Massif

or the D*A*M Meathead for the genuine article

8. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    they're two completely different circuits. the AG uses two LM386 (amplifier chips), and the Erupter uses a Jfet into a transformer, and then into two metal can silicon transistors.

cnltb and That Coyote like this.
  9. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Thanks!
    The AG works well with bass?

10. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    yes.

cnltb likes this.
  11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Excellent, Thanks!

12. I run an AG as the basis of my whole sound. It's always on, running into a 4 knob TC Spark.

I almost never have my bass's volume knob above 30-40%. At this level of input the AG will give you a really nice overdrive sound, a lot like maybe Geezer Butler or Glenn Cornick from the early Jethro Tull days. I would say it sounds more like real overdrive than overdrive the effect. It feels very wide and open, pillowy, and with a lot of air. It sounds like if you put your hand in front of the speaker hot air would be coming out. If you dig in hard, there's a vicious top end distortion that comes through, and certainly if you turn the volume on your bass up the AG becomes a savage near-fuzz. The way it responds to what you put into it is like blowing on hot coals and having flames jump out.

It's nothing like the Erupter at all. There's more of a searing top end to the AG. It doesn't squash the signal and get lost in the mix like the Erupter can in certain situations. There's no similarity in sound, and crucially the Acapulco Gold's one knob is volume, not bias. More than anything that's what differentiates the two. Having a volume control makes the AG so much more accommodating of what you want to do than the Erupter, whose volume is fixed for all intents and purposes. You can run the AG at low gain and then have it make up the difference in volume. Or you can keep its output volume low and run it into another pedal that does something cool with low input, and make up the volume even further down the line.

There is a slight low end loss with the AG, or a perception thereof, so I run the TC Spark after it to add some back.

Nunovsky and cnltb like this.
  13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Thank you for this!
    I'll have to try it, I think , and will hopefully get the chance to next week.
    :)

IronLung1986 likes this.
  14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Any more?
    Anyone tried the gore?
    (I remember someone reported quite positively on it, somewhere here on Tb...but thats just one:) )

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  15. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Any more worth trying?

AG the 'winner' ?

16. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I really like the Cthulhu from Dunwich / Magic Pedals.

monsterthompson and cnltb like this.
  17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Interesting!!
    How would you describe it/is it based on something and if so ,what?:)

18. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I could be wrong, but pretty sure it is the Fuzz Throne but tuned a certain way (very heavy) and the one knob they give you is volume.

19. G.Bisson

G.Bisson Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    Doom Stick II
    Bazz Fuss

20. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    What is the best rendition of the bazz fuzz? (Iyho)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021