1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Rickenbacker 4003s

75 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. Pedulla Pentabuzz

133 vote(s)
    63.9%
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    958E38F5-7853-4562-BF22-24E458194EE4.

Last summer, I found a Pedulla Pentabuzz at a great deal, and laid it away. All went well, but then it appeared that Illinois might renege on medical and dental bills of state employees. I eventually bailed on the layaway because it looked like I was going to have to pay some bills.

A month or two later, the good folks in Springfield found a few billion to pay off doctors, and the Pentabuzz is still around, and I was planning to pick it up for Birthday in February.

The thing that has got me rethinking everything is that last summer, I replayed a Rickenbacker 4003s, a bass very similar to my first good bass, a Ric 4000. I have to admit the Ric feels like home, even though it has been thirty years, and I am thinking maybe limited funds would be better spent on a bass I know for a fact I would love instead of spending a year really getting a thorough handle on fretless?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  2. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    Pedulla......that’s just me though!

Mechanical, DrayMiles, Nev375 and 6 others like this.
  3. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Get the one that gives you a surge of adrenaline (or butterflies, or endorphins or whatever) when you pick it up.

tlc1976, Joebone, Sixgunn and 8 others like this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Sounds good!

bobyoung53 and bass12 like this.
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The one that's not a Rickenbacker.

6. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Seems like you found a great deal on the Pedulla, but you really want the Ric. :bassist:

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is true, and I can get tones very to a Rickenbacker on my Lakland.

lowdownthump likes this.
  8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't know anything about Pedulla basses. How rare are they? I've seen Rickenbackers in most music shops I've been to. Aren't they a dime a dozen? Easy to get down the road if you choose to?

Wisebass, JRA and Dr. Cheese like this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Pedullas are Boutique basses that were a bit more common in the Nineties. The bass I can get would be $6,000 if it were new.

10. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Uh, this is TB. Isn't the only allowable response to your quetsion "Both". :D

It sounds like both your heart and your head are saying Ric. Get the Ric.

11. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I have to point out, and you may have already realized this, but you get an extra string with the Pedulla.

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am bit conflicted because I have good relations with the pawn shop, and from an ethical standpoint, I hate going back on my word twice. My main problem is that oldest is going to college in two years, and this will be my last window for a major bass purchase before I have to contribute to my child’s higher education. What I don’t buy now, I cannot get for maybe seven years.

13. I'd get the Rickenbacker. But that's just me.

alesreaper9, pcake, dukeorock and 4 others like this.
  14. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Go with the Pedulla, then. You can get a Ric later. They'll still be making them, and they're a lot more common. Those Pedulla Pentabuzz basses are like butter, man!

15. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Get the Ric. You will play it more, it feels like home , and I it will make up for the one you let go of years ago . You miss the Ric , and it’s truly the one you want, but you’re conflicted because the Pedulla is worth more and is boutique. But if they were priced both the same you would go for the Ric. Follow your heart. Time is too short to live with regrets.
    Can you see yourself playing the Pedulla everyday?
    Can you see yourself playing the Ric everyday?
    Buy the one you’ll play most.

16. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    4 out of 5 dentists prefer Pedulla as their choice of fretless. But seriously, if you plan to make the move to fretless Pedulla is the choice. Especially if your getting a great price on it.
    Just my 2 cents

17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Pedulla will be my main player if I buy it because I really want to become good on fretless. The Pentabuzz is far too nice to buy and not actually use.

18. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Pedulla is my vote... I just can't get into the Rick thing...

19. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The Pedulla is a REALLY nice bass, and unique. You likely will never find a better 5 string fretless, or a better deal on a five string fretless.

But do you want a five string fretless? As your main player, as you say. That is the question.

pudgychef, wmmj and Dr. Cheese like this.
  20. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Neither because I depend on your anti-GAS threads for the courage to remain satisfied with two!

Gaolee, Helix, Roberto Nunez and 6 others like this.