Who do you hang out with on set breaks?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by E Joe, Dec 2, 2022.

1. E Joe

E Joe

Jul 21, 2021
    Denver
    I usually end up hanging out the drummer in most of the bands I play with. Just such a close musical relationship between the 2 instruments I guess.

I brought this up to my guitarist brother and he suggested that drummers and bassists hang out together because no one else will :(

dcbluesbass, Bob_Ross, JRA and 16 others like this.
  2. Al Rivera

Al Rivera

Mar 20, 2021
    Unfortunately I feel obligated to go mingle during set breaks. If I had my way ,I would sit in my truck alone and burn one on break....

3. Eli_Kyiv

Eli_Kyiv

Apr 7, 2020
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I mostly hang out with the keyboard player. Maybe the fact that I'm married to her has something to do with it.

ELG60, JRA, 5StringPocket and 13 others like this.
  4. 4SG

4SG

Mar 6, 2014
    Hang out?! First I have to make sure the limo drivers are sober. Then I have to check that the promoter wired the gate receipts into my Swiss account. Then I have to get the concierge at the hotel to confirm that the champagne will already be on ice when I get there. Who's going to do all that--the lead singer? As if! I barely have time to finish my neck massage before the second set starts.

DirtDog, brokencode, TomB and 25 others like this.
  5. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    I like to mingle, glad hand, thank people for coming. And then, inevitably, someone drunk, high, crazy, or all three will find me and tell me their life story. :smug:

6. Back when I was doing bar gigs I usually got a beer and then went outside to mix in with whoever was out there.

Now, doing weddings, private parties and corporate events, it depends on what the event coordinator told us to do. Usually we can get drinks and most of the time we can eat, but we are normally asked to not mingle with the guest.

7. Verb the Noun

Verb the Noun

Aug 1, 2018
    San Diego
    Fixed it for you. Or.... maybe im just projecting a bit. :laugh:

8. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Ha! Maybe a little... though I'm certainly a magnet for the "peculiarati".

Verb the Noun and Standalone like this.
  9. Evets1987

Evets1987

May 20, 2020
    Cigarettes

10. CBRXJ

CBRXJ

Jul 31, 2010
    Apple Valley Ca.
    you guys get breaks?

11. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Like @Beej, during my most active gigging/touring days, I was usually the one out there schmoozing with fans when off stage. The irony is not lost on me that I (the bassist) was the most outgoing and sociable in the majority of bands I played in.

JRA, E Joe, Spidey2112 and 3 others like this.
  12. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I try to book 1 hr gigs these days for the same pay as a full night in a club, so,
    No breaks.

Stop playing, pack up, go home.

If it’s a theater gig, rest room, then back to the pit.

E Joe likes this.
  13. the drummer and guitarist.......we are a 3 piece... depending on the scene sometimes with mary and jane...

14. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

In a younger day it could have been:
    1. Available lady's
    2. Visiting musician's
    3. The band

In a later day, the band & friend's

Jimmy4string, E Joe and Spidey2112 like this.
  15. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

Great question...
    When my band of yesteryear was really trying to grow we told prospective members not to bring family members to the show. And if they did make sure their spouse or whatever understood that they were obligated to meet and greet with people who chose to come see us. As soon as we got off stage for break we walked from table to table to greet folks and thank them for coming.

Fast forward to the band I'm in now. The members all take their break at one table. During the last gig I stopped by a table to talk with two couples who liked my fretless. We had some interesting conversations. They thanked me for taking the time to talk to them. That's what it's all about.

hbarcat, JRA, Bajo Clarkko and 4 others like this.
  16. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Who do you hang out with on set breaks?
    Naughty servers and aggressive cougars from the audience. Someones gonna have to pay for my breakfast after load out after all.

17. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Nobody

sedan_dad and johnnynitro like this.
  18. Shepsdad

Shepsdad

Sep 22, 2019
    Since I haven’t gigged in years, nowadays I take a break from recording and go grab a beer and hang out with my dogs before getting back at it.

19. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Outside with whoever smokes. :cigar:

RustyAxe likes this.
  20. Dr. Love

Dr. Love

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    A lot of places here, I have to go outside to get away from the smoke.

db59 and mikewalker like this.