1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who's never owned a Fender bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slade N, Jul 31, 2020.

1. yes

247 vote(s)
    50.8%
  2. no

239 vote(s)
    49.2%
  1. Pazelaya93

Pazelaya93

Jan 2, 2015
    Homestead
    Hmmm let's see
    First bass was an eagle s101
    Second was an ibby gsr206
    Third was an sr505
    Current is a Gibson modern eb-4 2018

Rocker949 likes this.
  2. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

Up until 2000 I had never had a Fender.
    They were all paint,pickguard and chrome.

The Fender released the P-bass Lyte Deluxe.
    Mahogany,gold hardware with no pickguard.

I had it for two years.Then had it defretted.
    Then sold it two years later.

I couldn't say that it was better or worse than any other bass I've had up to that point.
    I felt no Fender mystique
    Never bought another Fender after that.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  3. Yes, how could somebody manage to avoid owning a P or a J bass at some stage?

4. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    Behind you!
    I have owned several basses over my years of playing, but none have been a Fender. In my youth, my brain was always "dare to be different" so having a ubiquitous "follow the crowd" Fender "like everybody else" didn't appeal to me.

As an adult... yeah, I still have that "hipster brain" and prefer more unique instruments with modern design aesthetics. Fender and Fender-esque basses look stodgy and old-fashioned to me. I like having basses that not everybody else has. But I also avoid Fender for a more practical reason: 20 frets is not enough. I needed 22-24 for some of the stuff I was playing in a previous band.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    KaraQ likes this.
  5. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I had them 2 - MIM j-bass and Jaco tribute.

6. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    After 40 years of playing, I've owned dozens of Fenders. I'm totally bored with them. Time for me to move on. I don't want to sound like everyone else.

7. No, I prefer paying for quality, not the name on the headstock

8. Took me nearly 40 years to buy a Fender.

Don't get me wrong, they were at the top of the purchase list. Trouble was back then the late 70's/early 80's models were more miss than hit.

My eagerly awaited "1st Fender" day saw Tokai's Hard Puncher outshine 8 decidedly average and over-priced MIA Fenders. I was sure they could make great basses, evidenced by the number of folks using them, thing was so could everyone else.

Bubble was burst and I adjourned to the pub with a much fatter wallet :)

Only reason I looked at Fender again was the finish, Paisley Pink :thumbsup:

thisonegoestoeleven likes this.
  9. My G&L is Fenderish, but no, never owner a Fender, or even a Squier.

10. Never owned a Fender. They're too expensive here in Brazil.

11. Nope never.
    Dirk

12. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    I never owned and It is not in my proposal but If a good used one appears could be...

13. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I don't understand the "badge of honor" mentality at having never owned a Fender bass.

G&L has some of the most fervent fans I've ever come across and that alone could have turned me off from checking out G&Ls. But I've not been on a crusade about it. Nor do I consider it a "badge of honor" that I've not looked at G&L closer.

Hey, I just didn't get around to it....

FRoss6788 and lowdownthump like this.
  14. krizalidzero

krizalidzero

Aug 21, 2019
    Not as an offense, but probably statistically the users who have not have a Fender bass probably are younger bassists who haven't had many basses at all, especially not expensive ones like a Fender (which I would consider a rather expensive brand from a global perspective).

15. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    I have owned Fenders, P & J in the past
    but no Fenders since 1991. No hate just
    upgraded.

16. marcblum

marcblum

Apr 29, 2008
    Aachen, Germany
    I never owned a Fender bass.

17. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    Behind you!
    And since age is coming up in the discussion, I'll footnote this by saying I'm 42 and started playing bass in 1994. So, I've played and owned my fair share of basses over the years. And not once did I ever desire a Fender. I recently did play a studio engineer's vintage P-Bass. Lovely instrument with tons of mojo, but nothing that made me GAS. I still have zero desire for a Fender or Fender-clone instrument.

18. Slade N

Slade N

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    oh Ive owned P’s and J’s, just other brands. It wasn’t by a plan it just worked out that way

bgartist and Rocker949 like this.
  19. Creeper2

Creeper2

Sep 30, 2013
    I've never owned one. They sound decent enough burning could never get comfortable on a fender neck and I prefer active basses

20. Ullallaahh .. touché ..