Why is it called "bolt on neck" when they all use...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by longfinger, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Screw-on neck, yes, sign me up.

16 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. Bolt-on sounds better, even though they are screws..

99 vote(s)
    46.9%
  3. What's the difference again between a screw and a bolt?

12 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Less "talk bass" more "play bass".

84 vote(s)
    39.8%
  1. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    Ask Franky (see picture above).

Wait.......does this mean humans are stylistically all Flying V's?

Thisguy likes this.
  2. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Recent papal bulls? nah...

petrus61 likes this.
  3. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Tell her that if she picks her nose, her brains are going to fall out. My parents got me with that one until I got wise and then just started picking again.

two fingers likes this.
  4. dfreeland83

dfreeland83

Feb 12, 2017
    Durham, NC
    Realistically, even in the photo posted by the OP, all of those are screws. What we call 'Bolts' are 'Hex Head Cap Screws'
    McMaster.png
    Source: I drink and I know things.

longfinger likes this.
  5. Maybe the prototype neck WAS bolted on?
    Then they changed to screws but the name stuck?

6. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    I once saw a movie that suggested this would be the case. I recall a real growling roar, also.

B>

jwilson67 likes this.
  7. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Why Bolton?....Why not Wigan....Manchester or Rochdale?......

8. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    These are coach bolts.​

fixings_coach_bolts.jpg
    Always use bolts. Never ever screw your coach.

Do whatever you like to your bass. As long as you fix the neck.

two fingers likes this.
  9. The definition of a bolted connection refers to both the male and female parts of the fastener not being fixed to the parts to be fastened.

If you weld the nut to one of the fastened parts and turn the male fastener to tighten it, a bolt becomes a screw because of the application.

The fastener did not change, the use defines the term to describe it.

In engineering, we try to use precise terminology so everyone understands things the same way.

My granddaughter might see a moth and call it a pretty butterfly. An entomologist, (and I, if I know the difference) will correct her. Her grandmother will agree it's a pretty butterfly. Sorry, I just can't help myself.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    longfinger and dfreeland83 like this.
  10. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Machine "screws" have "machine threads". Lag bolts are still bolts even though they don't require a nut or threaded insert or Tee nut.

11. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    We ought to be discussing the difference between C# and Db (they are spelled different on the musical staff but not on the tab sheet). not the differences between screws and bolts. This is suppose to be music instrument forum, not a freshman engineering drafting class. If you have or have had registered engineering status, I'm all ears like a jack rabbit. (EIT or FE status would also be acceptable). otherwise, let us stick to the music business. (Ok, I have seen tuned bolts used like bells, and have seen an all metal merrimba, but that discussion hasn't been part of this thread. )

12. I have built a few decks in my life, and I always used what I call lag screws to fasten the ledger board to the building.

13. Oh yeah, a marimba. It's the same thing as a steel drum, right?;)

14. packrat

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    The terminology isn't at all precise if it names an object differently depending on what happens to a different object. In your analogy that would be like insisting that butterflies only land on plants growing in the ground, but if it lands on a plant in a pot, it is more precise to call it a 'hiftylump' and insisting everyone conform.

B>

15. I agree.

I just go by what the experts and accepted authorities who came before us, (and are way smarter than I am) have defined as the correct terminology.

(Actually there is logic to the terminology, but I'm about to have a little, (more) Irish whiskey, and don't want to get into any arguments tonight).

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  16. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    I had an opportunity to play assist on a marimba, roots and thirds, just like playing bass.
    Think xylophone, but homemade.
    steel drum, and I've seen a few while in Florida, has tuned leaves, which are typically cut from the original drum head.

17. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    My 1970 Ampeg/Dan Armstrong uses chromed carriage bolts to hold the neck on. Nuts are under the pickguard.

18. Butter flies?

19. packrat

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Those people weren't so clear on planets, thought Venus was two different stars, defined the primary charge carrier as negative and a bunch of other dumb things. Tradition isn't a great defence.

The terminology defines an application, not an object.

B>

20. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

IMG_3123.JPG

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021