Why is it called "bolt on neck" when they all use...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by longfinger, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Screw-on neck, yes, sign me up.

16 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. Bolt-on sounds better, even though they are screws..

99 vote(s)
    46.9%
  3. What's the difference again between a screw and a bolt?

12 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Less "talk bass" more "play bass".

84 vote(s)
    39.8%
  1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Michael Bolt-On

7-songs-michael-bolton-should-sing-at-hillary-cli-2-13678-1452110578-11_dblbig.jpg

:bag:

mikewalker, Wisebass and longfinger like this.
  2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    A bolt on neck is describing the method used to attach the neck to the body as in two pieces joined by a threaded fastener.

A screw on neck would mean the neck was threaded and was screwed into the body, like a threaded barrel is screwed into a receiver so the pieces being joined have the fastener(s) integrated into the parts rather than being seperate parts of the assembly.

A bolt generally refers to a fastener requiring some sort of wrench to manipulate while a screw generally refers to a fastener requiring some type of ( manual) driver to manipulate, but the meaning changes when describing methods of fastening parts to one another.

And if you think about it, a bolt on neck is actually pretty accurate as it describes the joining of a body to a neck using a fastener and a very specialized nut that is an integral part of the neck, and trust me, there are endless styles of nuts in the fastener world so thinking of a neck heel as a gang nut is not that much of a stretch.

mikewalker and paco facile like this.
  3. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Michael Bolton with cork-screw hair.... ha ha...

Well, in Swedish and in Sweden we always and forever have said "screwed neck" = "skruvad hals" (Time for language class, folks!) . No one ever said "bultad hals", which means bolt-on neck. No music store, no luthier. But so it is with all things. Tremolo arm on guitars or "trem" systems is a misnomer too. Tremolo is amplitude only, not pitch so the proper name would be vibrato bar, vibrato system. Atom is a misnomer too. Originally meaning "un-dividable" or "un-splittable" we all know today, that it bloody hell isn't. Actually I do have seem some old eastern bloc attempts at guitars which actually had true bolt on necks. Acoustics, which you could peep into the soundhole and see the hideous neck assembly that was made. It was there the facepalm emoji got created. ;) You couldn't even try to make it turn because it wasn't a hex wrench or allen key or anything like that.

mikewalker and alaskaleftybass like this.
  4. Zant

Zant

Jan 1, 2017
    Simple there are screws holding the neck to the body as apposed to neck through,you must be bored

5. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I really must have no life. I actually came by to see how this thread is doing. :help:

mikewalker, TrevorR and Wisebass like this.
  6. SOUTH PAW

SOUTH PAW

May 31, 2015
    Lakewood, CA
    I heard Usain Bolt on necks are the fastest.

Sorry, Just Jamaica'n a little humor.

I know, I'm a little screwed up, but I'm no nut case.

Ok, I'll stop now.

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    1977. Junior High Gym Class. The players: Pete the Student and Mr. Reichel, the ancient Gym Teacher.

Pete: Man that's screwed up!
    Mr. Reichel: Fouled up, son. Fouled up.

This thread is screwy.

mikewalker and Wisebass like this.
  8. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    The quickest road to insanity is in the attempt to try and make sense of the world and other people.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  9. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Makes sense to me.....:D

10. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    My Wals (and all other Wals) DEFINITELY have bolt on necks...

walbassbolton.jpg

mikewalker and longfinger like this.
  11. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    My Aria SB's neck goes through the whole body but it's definitely not one piece..

IMG_1090.JPG

mikewalker and pappabass like this.
  12. leonard

leonard

Jul 31, 2001
    Yurop
    Screw me

13. Okay, everybody out of the pool...

mikewalker and SOUTH PAW like this.
  14. If the threaded inserts were rotated to assemble the neck to the body it would be a bolted on neck.

These necks are attached to the bodies using machine screws.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  15. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    I can tell you as a mechanical engineer with more than 30 years professional experience that there is no standard terminology or standard way to distinguish between "bolt" and "screw".

Of course there are wood screws, pointy with a slotted or Phillips head, and everyone calls those "screws". But pretty soon after that it gets weird.

Lag bolts are nothing more than big wood screws with a hex head, but they are called "bolts" - although I have also heard "lag screws".

For fasteners with machine threads, some people define "machine screws" as the smaller ones and "bolts" as the larger ones.

Some people claim that if it goes into a nut it's a bolt and if it goes into a female thread in another component it's a screw, but in that case what is it when it's lying on the workbench? Are you going to seriously tell me that in a bag of 50 pieces, 27 of them are bolts because I'm going to put them into nuts and 15 of them are screws because I'm going to screw them into other components, and the other 8 pieces don't have an identity till I attach them to whatever I end up attaching them to? What about cylinder head bolts for your car, which definitely do not screw into a nut, but which everyone calls cylinder head bolts?

"Socket head cap screws" - i.e., with a head for an Allen wrench - are generally called "SHCS" at all sizes and positions. But put a hex head on it and some authorities call it a bolt and others call it a screw.

If you are talking about putting a threaded fastener into wood, "screw" tends to imply a wood screw i.e. the female threads are formed directly in the wood, and "bolt" would to me imply either that you are putting a nut on the far side, or that there is a metal insert with machine threads. But, see all the above.

All of the above only applies in the US. I have no idea about the other English-speaking nations, nor about other languages.

Heaven preserve us.

16. Pedullist

Pedullist

Oct 31, 2016
    :D

I can only hope no one photoshops a Michael Screw-On

longfinger and alaskaleftybass like this.
  17. Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Honch and mikewalker like this.
  18. pappabass

pappabass Inactive

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    Or the body extends thru the neck !! HAA !! HAA !!

mikewalker and yodedude2 like this.
  19. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Things that don't bother me:

bolt on instead of screw on
    tremolo instead of vibrato
    input jack instead of output jack
    Squire instead of Squier
    valve instead of tube
    tube instead of valve

I'm sure there are others. When a technical term is not commonly used and I see it being misused I generally try to defend the proper use. When a technical term has been misused for so long that the misuse has become the new norm I generally let it slide. New habits can be broken, old ones probably not. Bolt on conveys the essence of the thing with a degree of clarity that is sufficient for all practical uses.

20. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    bottleneck?

khutch likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021