Why is it called "bolt on neck" when they all use...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by longfinger, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Screw-on neck, yes, sign me up.

16 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. Bolt-on sounds better, even though they are screws..

99 vote(s)
    46.9%
  3. What's the difference again between a screw and a bolt?

12 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Less "talk bass" more "play bass".

84 vote(s)
    39.8%
  1. MyTomomi

MyTomomi

Aug 15, 2017
    PH
    My first job was a Product Development Engineer for a certain fasteners (screw,bolt,etc) manufacturing company. My main job on that company was to design bolts/screws according to the needed specs by customers.

My simple definition of both are:
    Bolts are flat tip.
    Screws are pointed tip.

I agree with the OP but "Bolt On Neck" just sounds nicer. :)

gebass6 and mikewalker like this.
  2. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    Yes, I know, It is my understanding, In Canada, if you graduated from a recognized university, all you have to take is an ethics exam to obtain the PE, and you get the right to wear an iron ring on one of your fingers. In the USA, Professional Engineers are licensed by the state and not by the Federal Government. Another thing, different states have different requirements, recognizing some engineering specialties, while not accepting others.
    The Institute I attended, (yes, you can make institutionalized jokes all you want, because I do, I lived on campus, so I must have been institutionalized), Had a lot of foreign students, studying engineering. The school even issued some enginering degrees,
    Cb, to B or not to B.

3. And "wood screws" aren't made out of wood. (In most cases anyway.)
    And what is the best Metal for a wood screw? :smug:

4. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    My wood broom handle had RH threads,

Brazilian Iron Wood

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  5. Your belittling of the poster you quoted is uncalled for and is uncivil. The fact that Registered Professional Engineers (PE) are a relatively small portion of degreed engineers says a lot more about that certification than it does about the people who do/don't have that license. Registration is entirely unnecessary in the overwhelming majority of engineering positions. Besides, more than half of those who do earn a PE registration (license) neither need it nor use it. It looks good on a resume and a business card, though. It impresses some people out of proportion to its importance.

6. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    I didn't feel belittled. No, I do not have the PE, because I have worked my entire career f or corporations in the field of designing products and processes for mass production of commercial products. In this environment PE licensing is not required and is in fact quite uncommon as one of the requirements of the PE license is recommendations from other PEs who are familiar with your professional work.. If you never work for a PE because they are rare in your industry, then you can't get the recommendations, and you become another non-licensed engineer.

I am just as much of an engineer as is a civil engineer with a PE license. However, I'm not qualified to design a bridge, just as the CE with a PE license probably isn't qualified to design the products I design. Neither am I authorized to sign off on certain types of construction works where public safety and/or structural soundness are required. (The items of engineering practice which must be signed off on by a licensed engineer, versus those where this is not required, are easily found with a bit of research, but in general it boils down to what I've said above.)

7. Sort of. Using this line of reasoning, why is the pickguard only called a "pickguard" and not a "fingerguard" or "thumbguard" as well?

Hoochie Coochie Man likes this.
  8. After careful consideration of all the posts in this thread and with consideration of the etymological impact of my actions, I have decided that from now on, I will refer to my P bass as an accordion.

Edit: Or bass fiddle, or maybe profundo violino, or big-ass banjo.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    gebass6, Old Garage-Bander and Honch like this.
  9. Should we organize a benefit concert to raise awareness of this issue?

Hoochie Coochie Man and Honch like this.
  10. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Oh dear, would love to see if you don't bother playing in any Scandinavian/German band and asks you to play a B on bass... where B is H and a flat B (flat H or Bb in anglo countries) is called b. Let's see if you couldn't care less. And when that band consists of old school people, as well as youngsters. It would be fun... you'd be stumped as well, and wonder what the eff it's all about. One thing's for sure, I wouldn't like to hear it.

Yeah, why not care if it's inches or millimeters, kilos or pounds... ?

CNN - Metric mishap caused loss of NASA orbiter - September 30, 1999

Just give a hoot, about what anything's called. Nothing sinister will happen. ;)

11. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Yeah, like the hurricanes! It's called HURRICANE if it's in the Atlantic, a CYCLONE if it occurs in Indian Ocean, and a TYPHOON if it's origin stems from Pacific.
    I just call it "stormy as hell!". Astronauts are called Cosmonauts, and Taikonauts depending on country's origin. Up there there's no land borders anyway.

longfinger likes this.
  12. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Saddle and nut, nut or saddle, bridge saddle nut saddle. Tuner? Well, tuners are physical posts that you can turn on. Tuner as a pedal or a device? I don't know anyone that tunes it up for you, it's only for LOOKING INTO WHETHER YOU'RE IN TUNE OR NOT. A measuring equipment. The actual SCREWING (not bolting) the tuners around, you have to carry out for yourself.

There's so much misnomers in the guitar world. A guitar with a bridge and string holder in one place is called bridge and so on. To me "saddle" is ALWAYS up at the NUT. Not on bridge. Bridge is bridge to me. In Sweden they say "undersaddle" and "oversaddle" when distinguishing between the saddle at the top of the guitar, and the ones up on the neck. Especially on acoustics. But on violins there's no such thing. Clear cut betwen bridge and saddle.

gebass6 likes this.
  13. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    So a quiz... bolt on, screw-on, or set or glued neck on this one?
    birdfish_intro.jpg
    I'd say this is a pass thru neck..
    dolphin-11.jpg

and... just a neck... really, neither bolt, screw, set, tenon, yada yada...just neck...or body, choose whatever:

l2full.jpg

chapman-stick-10-string.jpg

14. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    That Teuffel Birdfish guitar, everything is bolt on, even the "body"...

Teuffel-RhodiumBirdfish-04.jpg

longfinger likes this.
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

16. The confusion in terminology is entirely among those who don't take time to learn the [correct] definitions of standard terms.

17. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    Belittiling, No, play of words, He's a mechanical engineer, and not a "civil", therefore he is not civil. By the way I am a barbarian of an engineer, because, I did not study civil engineering. Am I uncivil, yes, I can live with that title.
    Registering as an Engineer is a declaration that the individual has a minimal skill set, nothing more.
    Registration is unnecessary in the overwhelming..... positions, true, but the extra money that companies pays is nice. Check your companies benefits plan. (The extra money will be needed for professional development hours).
    I believe in order to obtain a PE, it now 4 years out of school, A BS or B Tech and 30 semester hrs of additional training. almost a masters, but not quite. To me, get the Bachelors, pass the EIT, while in college, (it reviews the first three years of school), Get the Masters, then the PE.

18. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    This thread has done wonders. I'm done now with all the screwing and bolting. There's gotta be a better way.

It's true. And here it is!

My latest innovation in proper neck fixation, patent pending, utilizes the structural integrity of the silk necktie - specifically the long-tenon silk necktie. We're calling it The Cravasset ®.

The Cravasset ® is bound to revolutionize the music industry. Silk is stronger than steel, as you know. And it's very presidential too. You can seamlessly match the color of your getup for any possible performance and thus easily avoid any clashes or glaring fashion faux pas. You blend right in! It's a real winner. Comes in tort and all the colors you could ever possibly imagine.
    Batteries sold separately.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  19. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    We could also always nail the neck on, or use blind rivets. or duct tape, you know the ones with patterns on them.

Tom Bomb likes this.
  20. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Patterns of ducks?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021