Why is it called "bolt on neck" when they all use...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by longfinger, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Screw-on neck, yes, sign me up.

16 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. Bolt-on sounds better, even though they are screws..

99 vote(s)
    46.9%
  3. What's the difference again between a screw and a bolt?

12 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Less "talk bass" more "play bass".

84 vote(s)
    39.8%
  1. rocu

rocu

Jan 28, 2015
    Missoula, MT
    The controversy of bolt vs. screw is nothing compared to the 50+ different terms used to categorize gender identification.

2. Bassmann79

Bassmann79

Mar 7, 2015
    lol...because they are bolted onto the neck! I chose what is the difference between a screw and a bolt?

Take a bolt out of your bass if you have a bolt-on neck, does it look like a screw? lol

3. One of my first jobs forty some years ago was working in a cabinet making shop. We used a type of threaded fastener that the label on the box from the manufacturer said "sex bolt".

I just looked it up, and here is a Wikipedia page describing sex bolts.

Sex bolt - Wikipedia

mikewalker likes this.
  4. They do it as an initiation into the wonderful world of bassdom. Other topics covered include the merits of tort, the best ______ for metal, why Rics are worthy of fanatical devotion or utter hatred, and why the Pythagorean Theorem is the essential key to deciding whether or not to mix cabs. But wait, there's more! Before you are worthy to learn the secret handshake, you must defend either view that: a J is better than a P, or a P is better than a J (J/P's are a bastard child and should be flogged and forgotten), why G+L and MM are Leo's crowning achievements, why Carvins are cheaper than firewood even though their quality is through the roof, and why Gibsons get no respect. For extra credit you can try to explain why the "tug bar" or "finger rest" on Fender basses was invented in the first place. It is mounted to the pickguard, which is there to protect the body from harm. How much damage can digits at rest cause, anyway?

mikewalker and Picton like this.
  5. Tug bar. Finger rest. One thing, that is called by two different names depending on the application.

Proves my position on screw/bolt terminology.

Amiright?:D

petrus61 likes this.
  6. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I think the bigger question is: Why isn't' it called a Bolt in Neck? It isn't bolted (or screwed) right to the body. It's bolted "in" to a neck pocket. Think about that one for a while. As for myself, I'm going to go play some of my bolt-in and neck-thru basses.

Honch and longfinger like this.
  7. It's not really a pocket. It's a recess!:roflmao:

Edit: I just googled recess, and an engineering definition came up as "internal groove".

I like it.

mikewalker likes this.
  8. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I liked recess. I hear You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no recess...

Hoochie Coochie Man likes this.
  9. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The same reason people call conjectures theories.
    Or the same reason people call hypotheses theories.
    Or the same reason people call random thoughts theories.

mikewalker and StatesideRambler like this.
  10. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    You forgot "B string" :)

B>

11. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    That would depend on which side has the female fitting.

12. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Regardless of the years of tradition, call them whatever pleases you. So when you say "Screw On Neck", people can go like
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMtLfW_PimO4f5CauJxbes_O3PcnymcVxpYvpUGcELWatl-aXW.jpg

mikewalker likes this.
  13. Zant

Zant

Jan 1, 2017
    Internal groove,bass and drums clicking

14. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    Its a F=ma type of thing, and I don't like the SI.

15. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    Finally, we have a semi-expert.
    Are registered (only 15% of all graduating engineers achieve this status). or did you pass the EIT or FE? (Many schools require that the test is taken, but not passed). If not IMO your not being civil (pun intended).

mikewalker likes this.
  16. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    hcm said: One of my first jobs forty some years ago was working in a cabinet making shop. We used a type of threaded fastener that the label on the box from the manufacturer said

Accountants used to use something similar to assemble their ledgers. Now in 4/4 time one two three ...

17. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Technically speaking, nobody was resting their thumb on it until the 70's...unless their thumb was where their pinky should have been ;)

mikewalker likes this.
  18. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

One piece bass?

pappabass likes this.
  19. Oops. I typed finger rest. I meant thumb rest.

20. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    You might be surprised to know that different countries have different arrangements.

B>

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021