Why is it called "bolt on neck" when they all use...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by longfinger, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Screw-on neck, yes, sign me up.

16 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. Bolt-on sounds better, even though they are screws..

99 vote(s)
    46.9%
  3. What's the difference again between a screw and a bolt?

12 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Less "talk bass" more "play bass".

84 vote(s)
    39.8%
  1. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I'm well aware that H is used as a musical note in some countries, the Modern Jazz Quartet taught me that decades ago. If I'm ever in that situation and you don't want to hear it all you have to do is show up 5 minutes late and we will have worked that all out. I deal with mixed units all the time and have no problems with that, sorry that NASA can't handle that. They didn't do such a hot job overseeing the figure of the Hubble space telescope, or tragically the design flaws in the shuttle either. These failures were bad management not sloppy terminology.

I do give a hoot when it matters, the name used for the fasteners used to attach a neck to a bass body is not one of those times. Not until you need to replace one and then most people correctly call them screws.

packrat likes this.
  2. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    Too late to read all 8 pages. But I always felt that a superior method would be a fastener with a positive drive. Rather than the typical Phillips screw that is designed to cam out. When I built my 6 string I used 5 lag bolts in counterbores, that I could tighten with the leverage of a ratchet.

3. "Camming out" is rarely a problem when the right type and size of screwdriver is used and the shaft of the driver is aligned with the axis of the screw when applying force. Few have the toolbox and patience for that. I agree that a star drive (e.g. Torx(R))would be better but I don't underestimate the power of stupid people to defeat clever inventions.

4. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Not without merit! :smug:

Part joke, pun, part mumbo jumbo bs. I've always cringed when - still, not in the 80's - saw ads (still seeing) with the latest pointy electric guitars equipped with Floyd Rose and "fast neck" and I never ever got that idea. They flaunt it with "fast neck", and other bs. Even working in music store, people came in and wanted a "fast" neck guitar (shredders mostly). I took a deep breath inside and realised they'd read these ads and ... buckled up ... and took my time on them, explaining that there's no such thing as a fast neck. Took a lot of mansplaining. Bolt-on, set or glued neck notwithstanding. Some people have still soaked that bs up, and wonders what that means:

5. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    All my US Masters instruments have square drive bolts into threaded inserts in the body. Very solid construction.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021