1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Winter NAMM 2019 (ultra Pic-heavy)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wintremute, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    Went through this thread last night; of course some real GAS inducing stuff but here are my takeaways:

- Those Devon basses look really, really good. I am sorta-kinda considering a custom build in the near future and they're on my radar. Surprisingly reasonably priced for a custom bass too, which I am happy about.

- Was that an HH SBMM I saw? That piqued my interest as SBMMs haven't interested me as they're usually single pickup models. Here's hoping it'll go into production.

- There were a lot of Chinese manufacturers this year; this isn't a bad thing but I am surprised the one manufacturer who brought a Chickenbacker (among other things) wasn't kicked out.

- One Chinese manufacturer did catch my eye though. I'm really liking those 10S basses; I am hoping they are better quality than the mass produced instruments one normally finds. That blue one is intriguing; reminds me of a Warrior. For those that went, did anyone see what it was like?

- Speaking of imports, the purple Inyen with the Atlansia looking pickups is certainly interesting. Not sure of the build quality but it looks fun to play. The Wolf basses certainly look pretty but I'm not sure how they hold up to a bass such as a Sire.

- Those Swing jazz basses look sweet. Anyone try those? I found a few on Reverb; they might've been the NAMM basses but I like Fender shaped objects that have their own twist on them, be it different colors or woods.

- Those Padalkas look amazing.

- Kinda surprised by the lack of Japanese manufacturers aside from Ibanez and ESP. I'm glad to see Atelier Z here though; just wish that Bacchus and STR would've come. Oh well; maybe they'll be at other trade shows.

- Glad to see Esh and Clover come back. That Peter Steele tribute Stinger is easily on my GAS list.

Thank you for all the pics; would love to go to NAMM one day. It looks like a lot of fun.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  2. kumimajava

kumimajava

May 19, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    I think that from the smaller builders, at least FCGR Tokyo must have been there too (i spoke with the owner earlier in the year, the workshop is close to where i live). After winning the "best in show" award last year, they wanted to put out something special on this year - including a 6-string prototype + some other tweaks on their Rhino basses that usually come with single-coils. But looking through the thread, perhaps the pics from their stand weren't that impressive. They're a small builder, so only brought 5 basses, but their own gallery of what they'd brought is here:

Basses at NAMM - Freedom Custom Guitar Research

Fat Freddy likes this.
  3. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    freedom and miura below. aria was also present.

GregC likes this.
  4. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles

5. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    I think that I had some bad/blurry shots of that booth, so what got posted is only the good stuff.

Winter NAMM 2019 (ultra Pic-heavy)

6. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    In addition to what others have said, you can also talk to a displayer on the side about buying an instrument. Usually great deals are to be had as who wants to bring stuff home if they dont have to and deal w shipping. Its on the quiet, but happens all the time. You just meet them at the end of the show and pick it up. Best time to buy is when the show is ending.

BklynKen likes this.
  7. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Yeah, I ALMOST bought a Red Chowny CHB-2. But I'm holding out for a purple one. I did end up getting a GR Bass 2x12 Slim (in gorgeous white leather).

8. I love this thread every year.

Kubicki Fan, TonyP-, nixdad and 3 others like this.
  9. ^ Now the long wait until NAMM 2020 ...

sprag, Luigir, pbass6811 and 3 others like this.
  10. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I have one endorser that made me give two of my uprights back for the show...kinda neat until you see all these strangers playing your bass :)

wraub, davidprice, GregC and 5 others like this.
  11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Yep. I couldn't begin to count how many people I watched use my personal amp two years ago either. But I think that's an easier thing, really.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  12. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Did you play the SWB Pro?

13. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    No. It's not a design that appeals to me.

I did play the EVO, and liked it.

nonohmic likes this.
  14. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    Of course I forgot Aria; I saw them earlier in the thread. Do they have a US distributor now?

The FCGR basses look amazing. And holy crap looking on their website they give Kiesel a run for their money for their finishes. Also isn't Miura technically American? I guess the best way to call them is Japanese-American.

15. I wish Yamaha had produced a sign model like the one they made for James Lomenzo

16. I think Dana B Goods is, or at least was, the US distributor for Aria...perhaps that's changed, or I'm just wrong, but that's what my sometimes suspect memory recalls.

17. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Any report on David Smalls?
    I was hoping for some wicked Spinal Tap playing.

Edit: I meant Derek Smalls; did I just kicked out of the club?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    dukeorock likes this.
  18. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Derek Smalls?

19. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Ooops; thanks for this.