1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Worship Bass Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cshanks5, Dec 2, 2011.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I've been using one for awhile now. Let me know if you have any questions!

2. Nery Perdomo

Nery Perdomo

Feb 9, 2020
    Was also recommended an hx stomp. Any recommendations on that? Or should I just stick to the preamp and compressor?

3. Nery Perdomo

Nery Perdomo

Feb 9, 2020
    Do you have any idea how ssdi compares to the noble? Also, if the preamp(like the ssdi) is also a di there would be no point in a stand alone di correct?

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Lots of people like their HX Stomp. I suppose once its programmed...

5. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    A Noble and an SSDI are preamp/DI so it's all you need. The Noble will even power other effects.

6. Nery Perdomo

Nery Perdomo

Feb 9, 2020
    REDDI is at the top of my list for a DI but they’re pricey. Might have to settle for the Neve RNDI

7. Nery Perdomo

Nery Perdomo

Feb 9, 2020
    That’s what I thought. Also, I saw that the noble powers the other pedals as well. That being said do you have any input on which I would be better off with? Noble or SSDI?

8. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    There's a lot of info in this thread. I'm not sure if that specific comparison has been done head-to-head. The SSDI is a Fender tonestack. I'm not sure what the Noble is. I've never tried a Noble myself.
    The Great Bass Preamp/DI Comparison

In Scuba's mega preamp thread, he does have audio samples of both the Noble and SSDI:
    Tube Preamp/DI Sound Samples — Noble, Oracle, P-15, Super Stack, REDDI, Tonecraft, Jule...

The Noble is definitely more pedalboard friendly, but the tone of the SSDI is worth it. And if you have a large enough pedalboard with enough clearance and enough determination and gumption, with maybe just a pinch of insanity, it can work:

View attachment 4178130

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 12:34 PM
    yobtaf likes this.
  9. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    SoCal
    I might be in the minority here. Ive listened to the DI samples and yeah there is some difference. Some sound really good solo. But in a mix, with a non professional engineer, not even sure if you can call some of them engineers, you will never hear the $1000 difference. And even if you think you can, 99.9% of the congregation will never know. And out of that 99.9% maybe 30% know you are even up there. And out of that 30% maybe 2% care. I love gear, I do. But 1000 extra dollars can be spent in other areas of life, heck even in someone elses life? I am lucky our head engineer, and he really is one, is also a bass player so our bass is in the mix good. But even then you would never know if I had a Nobel or a Tone Hammer. Its like the guy who buys a Ferrari and sits in SoCal traffic with me and my 434,000 mile scion going nowhere! You just look better but nobody cares because we are all moving at 7.2 mph for the next 25 miles.
    Ok back to our regular program.
    PS dont get me wrong, I love gear and have gone down rabbit holes, mine was fuzz. I did a 12 step program. hahahaha

10. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I don't. Both of those are excellent choices. There's a good thread on a DI's that has a ton of samples. You can go nuts trying to listen and figure out the subtle (mostly but not always) differences. I just finally went with one that I thought was best to me and bought it. REDDI for me. Many others sounded just as good. There was something about this one I thought I heard that I liked.

I spent days listening....

This is all true as well. The reason (justification) I spent $600+ on a tube DI is that we use IEM's and no stage amps. It gos right to my head (so to speak) so I think it makes a difference to what I her and maybe how I play. Not to say it didn't affect the FOH sound, it did, but not that anyone would notice over a simple passive DI like a JDI or something. Same thing for the cover band - even more so there as far as hearing a difference in a mix at a noisy bar. You might hear it in a church.

I struggle with this all the time. Do I really NEED expensive gear. Custom basses, tube DI's, etc. I could do with less. All my stuff is paid for so I may as well keep it. And I like it. If it doesn't put my mortgage or food or kids needs in jeopardy, why not.

11. furym

furym

Aug 31, 2014
    Carthage, NC
    I’ve been using the Boss GT-1B since Christmas and am really happy with it. Decided to make it a little easier to set up. The board is oversized but it’s what I have and it has a hard case.

4BFE4F69-20DA-490B-87B5-3AF4CFF45357.jpeg

tedsalt likes this.
  12. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Been down several rabbit holes, and the last one almost cost me my marriage! After accumulating over $5,000 in CC debt (I love gear!!!!), and having to sell it all to save face, I am down to a homemade board (s/a) with less than $200 invested in it, and it sounds amazing. Both with IEM’s and with my FRFR setup. The DI on the SpectraDrive is quiet, clean and sounds great in Church. Of course you still can’t hear the bass in the online mix, but my mix is great in my ears!

yobtaf and furym like this.
  13. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    SoCal
    I get the IEM thing. totally understand that.
    I get the IEM thing, I had same issue. I spent from 1986 until a few years ago playing with 810 behind me on tour and club dates. So going ampless at church the last 6 years or so was weird. I think a good pair of IEM's that "seal" off good is the key. If someone isnt pulling their ear lobe all directions to seal it up and close off the outside noise you will always have a weak thin sound in your IEM. Not saying thats you Steve, I think you have custom IEM, I know that was a game changer for me having custom made. it also helped me lower my volume so my ears don't hurt anymore. That 810 and wedges for years really did its damage. I believe you can get good sound with the IEM most churches provide with the foam if you roll the foam and work it into your ear. You have to get the seal for that bass response.
    Im not trying to cause a debate at all, I believe we all have our thing.

14. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Yeah, I can see that. I've had this same conversation on multiple threads in the community . . . and probably on this one at some point in the past. Is it necessary? No. Is it fun? Yes. Does Jesus care? Probably not. Do I? Yes. Should I care? Probably not. Will the congregation even notice if I plug straight into a DI most sundays and then all of a sudden bust out a Noble? Probably not. The reality, though, is that it's more fun to play when you feel like you sound good. (At least for me). When I love my tone, I am inspired to create more and motivated to play more. But it's all relative. For me, the gear that I have is a little pricey. But I've accumulated it over a period of years. Some folks play basses in church that cost more than my car, which I think is ridiculous. But to each their own.

Johno Dunn, furym and yobtaf like this.
  15. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    SoCal
    very good points! I totally see what you are saying. I know when I used other gear on stage and it wasnt my thing it made playing very hard. So I get that! Oh hey you dont need to bring an 810 and amp we got you covered, ok, then you get there with some crummy combo amp that your ankles hear just fine but you cant hear it and now your playing harder just to feel it. UGH

Ok changed my mind! get the Noble!
    But I do stand on the IEM thing, I see it all the time, people dont get them in their ears right.

16. Nery Perdomo

Nery Perdomo

Feb 9, 2020
    Yeah we play with IEM’s as well which is why I was looking to upgrade the DI. While we’re on that subject I’ll take recommendations on that as well lol used the sure se215s for a while now and they’re just not cutting it.

yobtaf likes this.
  17. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    SoCal
    Are you getting a good seal? have you tried different size foam? I went with the UE IEM. The UE6pro is bass friendly. Im not mixing music with them or listening with them, although they sound good, but for stage the bass is awesome in them. I am local to their shop so I tried everything they had. These did the part I needed, hearing the bass. Maybe steeping on my own toes, but this is an investment I do NOT regret. My ears and ringing are way happier now!! Oh and my mono bag is the second best gear related purchase.

18. Nery Perdomo

Nery Perdomo

Feb 9, 2020
    Tried the different sizes and when I found the best fitting one I still have to fiddle with it to get a complete seal. Second issue is that I feel they’re not too good for the low ends they tend to get a bit saturated. Not sure if it’s just me.

yobtaf likes this.
  19. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    SoCal
    Someone on here once said that some desk can "EQ" the IEM. Maybe the lows are rolled off? Just like a lot of sound guys do to the mix? not sure
    But I will say, I've never had to "fiddle" with my ears once I went custom. It really has saved my hearing as well.

not pedal board related dont know if need to take conversation to praise and worship club

20. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Since most of our boards a set up with IEM’s in mind, I would say it works here.

yobtaf likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021