1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Worship Bassists Unite

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oxygenbass, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    As promised...here is something to get you started. It's the beginnings of the song and then the solo section. I'll let you work out the rest! :) Feedback would be great if you all see something I missed. I hope this jump starts some of you struggling with song. :hyper:

If a mod wants to move this to the tab forums....please do so. However, I thought it might be more appropriate here since it's in response to the current conversation.

In Christ,

Xavier

Attached Files:

2. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    In the intro riffs.....I just noticed in measures 6 & 8, I'm showing two different positions for the high A. In measure 6 I'm showing it played with an extended pinky. In measure 8, I show it has being played two strings up (G string), therefore making you jump one string with your right hand (plucking hand). You decide which way is more comfy to play. I find the pinky extension easier, especially since the frets are so close together up there!

Oh and by the way....8000+ views for this thread!! Praise the Lord!

3. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Brim,

thanks for the transcription man!

I gave the song a listen based on all of the feedback on htis thread and wow!!! what a song indeed! I think I found a new favorite song!

I sent it to our worship leader as a potential song...I think we will have to "open it up" a bit and maybe slow it down just a tad for the congregation (they are open to "rocky gospel" but this may be a little over the edge for them).....besides I ain't no where near that talented!

anyways....great song....

peace

Doug

4. peter G

peter G

Sep 28, 2004
    ohio's northcoast
    I've been playing in our praise band for about 2yrs.We do contemporary stuff, our leader is a big Paul Baloche fan so we do favorites like Arise, All The Earth Will Sing Your Praises. We also do Redman, Hughes, Robin Mark, Casting Crowns and Third Day.

We just did our annual fall praise night; a 16 song set that went almost 2hrs.It was a real blessing for me and the rest of the band to see folks clapping and singing and just worshipping God on a Friday night.

5. ShirazBop

ShirazBop When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro Gold Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Xavier, awesome man! Thank you for posting. Got 'em down loaded. Will let you know how it goes! Thanks Again!

6. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Thanks for the transcriptions.

Tonight, I just came back from a "Hillsong London" event in Fremont CA. They didn't do this song but they did sing "Inside Out."

[edit] BTW, during this song, there was a 5.6M earthquake near San Jose. I thought it was everyone jumping up and down until I noticed the projector images were shaking excessively.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Praise the Lord indeed! Now if we can get all of the posters in this thread to participate in Jive's new worship bass forum.

Linky in my sig below!

8. Hi everyone,

I play bass at Chichester Baptist Church, England roughly twice a month. We are blessed with some amazing musicians and worhip leaders. I play my Gherson Fretless jazz copy into a Ashdown ABM500 and Harley Benton 410, DI'd into the PA.

Favourite song? "Thine Be The Glory" done in the style similar to U2's "Where The Streets Have No Name"

I also play in a rock band with some guys at work, and a jazz trio.

Great idea for a thread, hope I've not missed the boat!

Blessings
    Russell

9. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Yet another late comer here. I really should come out of the dungeon (effects forum - no offense you other effects maniacs! :D) more often...

I play bass for my church in Fullerton California, right where the 91 and 5 freeways meet. I have been playing there for almost a year now and really receiving grace through it. I used to play for the teens service as well, but we have recently handed it all down to the new teen praise band.
    My praise rig is as follows:
    MIM Fender Jazz -> Ernie Ball VPJR (for use during the slower songs) -> Demeter Compulator -> GK 700RBII -> GK 410GLX

My praise leader also allows me free reign of what to play for the bass lines. Sometimes it's following the roots, or playing around the scales/arpeggios.

Don't really have a favorite song to play... (I like all of them, and it'd take too long to list them all! :D)

Great to know there's many more praise bassists on here! :D
    God Bless!
    -Chris

10. Hey guys!

I've finally got a gig coming up this Sunday at church! It'll be the first gig I've ever done, the first time I've played to people I know and the first time I have played my Shergold 'properly'.

11. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    Hey guys:

It is official... My band rehearsed last night and we had been looking at classic rock covers and Contemp. Christian/christian rock covers. WE have been working on original material the last few weeks, and it all has been coming up Christian, so we kinda decided last night that was our direction, so we are focusing there... Not that we don't like the other stuff, but things just seem to be lining up the other way... We also came up with a band name... Perfect because it a) resonates with each of us, 2)sounds pretty cool (we think anyway) and last) is not already taken;)... Reference to Luke 19...

Cry of Stones

We have a surprisingly large amount of original material we are working on (Hopefully, some of it is good...)

Anyhow, I am busting, and hadta tell someone... We are hoping to have fun, entertain, and maybe make a difference somewhere... Keep us in prayer, guys...

12. Nighthawk551

Nighthawk551

Jan 3, 2007
    Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound
    I wish you both good luck! Keep playing for Him! :)

13. Woo, I thought that I would fill everyone in on what is going on with me. We are having special services all this week and I am playing every night. I am playing every night and so far God has really shown up and things have been going GREAT. Keep me and my church in prayer as this is going to be a week of massive breakthrough.

lowsound

14. MMan530

MMan530

Nov 12, 2007
    I want to get into the Bass, with the goal of eventually being able to play for worship. Do you have any tips for starting out in this genre? For example, what do I need to look for in a bass? Does J/P matter? I'm considering this model right now, but I really have no basis for deciding on it, other than its close to my price range.

Any advice would be appreciated. Feel free to reply here, or to send me a PM/e-mail. Thanks for your help :)

15. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Get a bass you like and can afford. Then get a teacher(wish I had), then plunge in.

16. ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC

Fantastic! Let Him work through You!

17. ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    +1, teacher is so improtant when starting out. If possible find a teacher that is also a bass player themselves.

18. ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC

Awesome, Like the name. Doing originals has got to be a total blast. I would love if our band explored more in this area...I know the answer, come up with some ideas myself and get the "ball rolling"....

Always, "Not To Us"...

19. Fellowship Missionary Church in Fort Wayne, IN.

G&L L2500 through a sansamp straight to the board. Axiom in-ears. My favorite worship song changes constantly. Anything by Israel Houghton is atop that list though.

20. MMan530

MMan530

Nov 12, 2007
    Awesome, sounds like I'm on the right track then ;)