1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Would you trade a Peavey Axcelerator for this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ejaggers, Jan 9, 2019.

1. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    have a 1997 USA Peavey Axcelerator, excellent condition, it’s the only active bass I own.
    Seller wants my bass + cash, but has not said how much yet.
    • 2-T bridge
    • VFL pickups
    • Black w/ tort PG
    • Vintage peavey knobs
    • 18v, 2-band EQ
    • Hard Shell Case
    AXbodyE.

So would your trade for a short scale Eastwood Classic 4:

000000114941951-00-220x220.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Sound-wise you're trading down. I've played them both, and the Peavey is a far better sounding bass. The Peavey is a modern, full-scale, solid body with active electronics. That Eastwood is short scale with a non-adjustable bridge. It's going to give you a hollow, thumpy sound with limited range. If that's what you want, then there you are.

Money-wise...that Eastwood is worth around $350, give or take. A standard Axcelerator is worth $300. But yours has a 2-Tek bridge, which adds another $50-$100 to the value. They're essentially worth the same money. What does he want for the bass as an outright purchase?

3. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    He's asking $425 with HSC, and I'm offering a HSC as well.

My belief is that the EW would be harder to sell than th Axc, although I never sell any of my basses anyway.
    The only reason I'm considering this is because it's active.
    I haven't taken the time to get use to active electronics.

4. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I had one of those peavey's back in the 90s and wish I still had it so I wouldn't do the trade.

That's a USA made Peavey that punches way above its weight class IMHO so I wouldn't do that trade unless you just really want the Eastwood.

5. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'd likely keep the cool Peavey and somehow buy the other if it's a winner

pjbassist and ejaggers like this.
  6. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    $425 is a little high, but not unreasonable. The Eastwood hardshell case isn't high quality. Not that that will make a big difference.

If you're looking for a bass sound like the Animals had, then Eastwood will provide that.

I owned a few Gibson EB-2's a few years ago. I kinda got tired of the limited sound they had, so I sold them.

If you haven't given the Peavey enough of a chance, then I'd hang onto it, unless you really want the Eastwood and don't have the jack to buy it outright.

ejaggers likes this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I wouldn’t even do it straight up.

8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Two different style basses but no...I would not do the trade. I've tried the Eastwood at a store, didn't think the quality was all that great (or the other Eastwood basses they had there, I love the retro looks mind you but I'd rather get better quality ones that are out there). You'd be downgrading quite a bit in quality and he wants cash on top of it? Ah, most definitely no.

9. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    That peavey bass looks great! I bet it plays and sounds great too.

I happened to try one of these Eastwood basses in store yesterday but didn’t get to plug it in. The neck was narrow all the way up to the bridge instead of widening out which feels weird to me. It has a neat look but I doubt that’s matched by the sound. You don’t know unless you try yourself. It’s probably also heavier than the peavey despite being semi hollow.

So you’re trading just based on looks. And no, money should be coming your way if anything.

ejaggers likes this.
  10. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    I have never tried an Eastwood to be honest, I'm just a big fan of short scale basses.
    But I'm hearing that EW's quality isn't on par with Peavey, in fact, this applies to a lot of basses.

I have a semi-hollow already, a Coronado II, and I'd like at least one more, maybe an Epi or a Starfire.
    But I'm sure this is what attracted me in the first place.
    I have never been able to get that "Animals" sound from my CII, not sure why.

11. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    If I were going to snag an Asian-made hollowbody, I'd spend a couple bucks extra and get one of these -

jack c bass.

12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Maybe it can be a bass that with some work can be made into a decent or maybe even a good/great one, but you've got to factor the cost involved in making it acceptable when considering the trade-it varies pretty widely with the EW basses I've tried (in terms of the QA issues - the fretwork was pretty bad on one), some may require less work than others so you really have to look at each instrument individually, I'm not sold on the stock pickups on some of them, but that's just me. Highly recommend if you're still on the fence about this model to try it for yourself, but in terms of the trade, my personal feeling is that it doesn't sound like a good one given what you're giving up on your end especially with additional cash being asked of you.

ejaggers likes this.
  13. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    It’s funny because I tried this bass out yesterday as well, also unamplified. I like the look and feel better and the paddle tuners better too. Was quite neck heavy though. The Eastwood bead decent lap balance. I figured it would balance well.

ejaggers likes this.
  14. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx

I have threatened to trade the Axc before for a passive, but I’m going to seek out some threads to learn why an active would be desirable. I do admit I haven’t given it much of a chance.

Thanks for your input. I admit the EW is eye candy plus it’s SS too. I was not aware of the quality issues since I’ve never tried one. Also, I’ve never seen one in stores, or if I did, I didn’t pay any attention to it.

Thanks for the advice. And you’re absolutely right, I like the looks of most EW’s I’ve seen here on TB. I have a SS VM Jaguar, so the thin neck probably wouldn’t be a issue. The seller didn’t say how much money he wanted but too much would definitely be a deal breaker because I know USA Peavey’s are the stuff now days, and mine is a good one.

Bass V likes this.
  15. No. You're holding one of the best basses you'll ever own.

murphy, City, dBChad and 3 others like this.
  16. saabfender

saabfender Banned SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    No, absolutely not. That's a sucker trade. Don't be that guy's sucker. We hear about TBer's bad trades all the time after-the-fact. This one is terrible and you will regret it. Don't.

murphy, ejaggers and 74hc like this.
  17. Do whatever you want that's your decision. But absolute no deal on trading and You giving him money! If anything it's an even trade for very different basses.

18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Unless you play in some genre where it's the thing, a short scale hollow body is (my opinion) kind of a novelty thing. A well made full scale solid body is a much more widely useful instrument.

19. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    I think you have the better bass with the Peavey.

murphy and zoonose like this.
  20. Nope

murphy and Cliff Colton like this.