Zon basses - is everything OK ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rumblefisher, Jul 30, 2018.

  1. JuanB


    Feb 20, 2010
    Have you tried calling? Might be better to talk to them over the phone. Whatever you end up deciding, good luck. I'm sorry you're in this situation.
  2. WG Plum

    WG Plum

    Apr 9, 2021
    I'd ask for all of my money back, end of story, and order a 32" scale custom from someone else.
    mexicant likes this.
  3. Wow so sorry you are going through this…

    Joe has a lot of balls to ask this of you. I’ll leave it at that.
    basschanges likes this.
  4. mrgittleman


    Dec 23, 2003
    Being in sort of the same boat all deposits etc are not refundable per the build sheet terms.
  5. jim nolte

    jim nolte

    Oct 26, 2006
    If you are positive you can’t live with anything other than 32” I would just pay the 500 bucks before the build is completed but only if you are given a completion date in writing so there is no question about what your expectations are and what Joe promised, ASAP doesn’t cut it.
    bobunit and bigsnack like this.
  6. WG Plum

    WG Plum

    Apr 9, 2021
    Well, in that case, I'd take the bass as is and sell it. Then order a custom 32 from someone else.
    bobdabilder likes this.
  7. BAG


    May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    The problem with that is he'll most likely lose a LOT more than $500 in the resale.
    radmin likes this.
  8. bass12

    bass12 Grace under pressure Supporting Member

    Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Plus an extra $500 if he ends up not liking the 32” Zon and selling that. :bag:
    basschanges and BAG like this.
  9. BeeTL

    BeeTL Commercial User

    Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars
    For what it's worth, I'd accept the $500 upcharge (it is a change to the original order), but I would only send it after I received photos of the revised bass ready to ship.

    ...and I'd expect them to honor this commitment.
  10. bass12

    bass12 Grace under pressure Supporting Member

    Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Is there anything about your original order which means Zon will have a difficult time selling the bass if you decide to go with the 32”?
  11. Rabidhamster


    Jan 15, 2014
    At this point I’d want “proof of life” photos of the supposed current bass
  12. Fuzzbass

    Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

    Good point. I'm not sure Zon can complain (and upcharge!) over a change of specs if the order isn't underway.

    As noted by many Zon isn't great at communication (understatement), but in my case, they sent a picture of the carved but unfinished body, and a second picture of the finished body and neck (unassembled). This fell well short of the progress reports I've received for other custom builds (Sadowsky, Nordstrand, Keith), but it was something.
  13. Gregc57


    May 28, 2021
    NY, USA
    If they sent me a photo of the completed bass, I'd send them the $500 and have it shipped.
    My .02
    JLY, Obese Chess, BeeTL and 1 other person like this.
  14. MCS4

    MCS4 Supporting Member

    Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I also received a few photos during my 2+ year wait, in connection with various communications regarding the delays.
    basschanges and Fuzzbass like this.
  15. bigsnack


    Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I would too. A bass in hand beats the future promise of a bass in hand.
    31HZ and bobunit like this.
  16. Agreed. If it's too late to change it, then they must be reasonably far along in the build.

    If they've kept you waiting this long, cannot or will not provide photos of the bass as it is, and aren't willing to work with your request after your patience.. well, sadly that means a different conversation.
    Arthur U. Poon and Rumblefisher like this.
  17. Rumblefisher

    Rumblefisher Supporting Member

    Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    "Thank you Mr. Scorpion."
    "Please don't call me Mr. Scorpion."
    BeeTL, Fuzzbass and Hank Scorpio like this.
  18. Runnerman

    Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

    Mar 14, 2011
    Another option would be to negotiate to pay $250 now and $250 upon receipt/shipping pic.
    Don't know if it would fly but it might move the whole thing forward.
    sloppy_phil likes this.
  19. JuanB


    Feb 20, 2010
    Any update from the shop?
    Hank Scorpio and bobdabilder like this.
  20. jeff7bass


    Apr 9, 2009
    They had a good run.
  21. Primary

    Primary TB Assistant

    Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

    Jul 30, 2021

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.