Zon basses - is everything OK ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rumblefisher, Jul 30, 2018.

1. 31HZ

31HZ Glad to be here Supporting Member

I have a bass in their shop right now, being serviced. I would love to order something custom, but I'm a little hesitant right now. At the same time, Joe does incredible work and his bases are uniquely wonderful. I hope everything gets sorted, and that everybody gets their instrument.

Fuzzbass and Rumblefisher like this.
  2. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Ever since I played that first Vinny I bought from Maidenbass, I was hooked. Just an incredible instrument. The rest of it is unfortunate so far.

Fuzzbass and mrgittleman like this.
  3. Yeah, I've yet to pick up a Zon bass I haven't been floored by. I really want a custom one, their tone is just so consistent all over the neck due to the composite material.

31HZ and kesslari like this.
  4. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I totally get it! They responded that they are expecting the preamps in the next two weeks, and that they expect to finish shortly after that. That's in line with the info I heard from the preamp builder as well, so things do seem to be syncing up!

Joshua, Jefus, bobunit and 4 others like this.
  5. Jefus

Jefus

Feb 23, 2008
    Sacramento now...
    Is that the Billy Gould preamp? I met with Joe today and asked specifically about those basses because I think they're rad. I was hoping he had one sitting around to check out, but of course he didn't. But he did say he was shipping some soon since the preamps would be with him in two weeks.

Obese Chess, Fuzzbass and bigsnack like this.
  6. Jefus

Jefus

Feb 23, 2008
    Sacramento now...
    I place my order with Joe today at his shop in Livermore. When I asked what the lead time was for my bass (Sonus-8, no crazy customizations) he said it would be about 12 months. That's more than the 8-9 months I was expecting after reading around Talkbass, but I'm fine with it. He was very cool about the pickups/preamp I wanted and said I'd provide to them. He said he'd do something to make up the difference done he wasn't providing the electronics.

Overall it was very cool to meet up with him like that. I'll report back add I hear any news.

31HZ likes this.
  7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    @Jefus did you happen to ask him about the long-delayed basses discussed in this thread?

8. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Based on their email to me, I'm assuming for now that one of those is mine :) Fingers crossed!

Fuzzbass likes this.
  9. Jefus

Jefus

Feb 23, 2008
    Sacramento now...
    I didn't. I'm new to the thread (I was unaware of the thread until it was mentioned to me in another thread I was in) and haven't gone back to read the history; as I'm thinking about it now It probably wasn't a good idea to skip this. The only reason the BG basses were brought up was because I brought them up. I probably could have been more diligent in doing my homework before going in today. But I had a good one-on-one conversation with Joe and looked him in the eye and shook his hand on the deal, and likely to my detriment, that still means something to me. Additionally, I believe Zon is the only builder that can effectively pull off what I want, so there really isn't a second option.

kesslari likes this.
  10. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    At the time I ordered my Legacy Elite 519 I talked about having some work done on my 1990 Legacy Elite. He said he would be happy to do it. But after the time it took to get my bass I was really hesitant to send my old one in. That was around when the concerns were beginning to arise. So that's kind of a regret. I would have loved to have him refresh the bass but not if it meant I'd be worrying if I'd ever see it again!

So, let us know how it goes!

kesslari and 31HZ like this.
  11. Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    So just received an email, 3 weeks since last correspondence. They are willing to accept $500 as the price of changing scale. I responded OK, after you send the completed bass as well as the spare body and neck.

What do you guys think? Reasonable?

Maybe I'll send the rest of the funds in 4 years? Sorry, couldn't resist a bit of snark...I'm a tad miffed. But deep breaths, I understand their viewpoint.

EDIT: Here we go...they just responded 500 is due BEFORE they send the bass. JUST the bass. This feels like a possible (down)turning point.

EDIT2: Company policy. No spare parts given out. Liability. Bass order as is, or $500 and we do 32. Up to me.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    BeeTL likes this.
  12. mrgittleman

mrgittleman

Dec 23, 2003
    NYC
    Did they give you any timeline for completion of either option?

Rumblefisher likes this.
  13. Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    "ASAP"

mrgittleman likes this.
  14. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    After the wait you've had, that extra $500 is ridiculous. I'd push back, hard. Really hard. Either way, you'll have to make the call. Good luck.

Obese Chess and 80jazz like this.
  15. bass12

bass12 Grace under pressure Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    How about they just give you all of your money back? That would be “reasonable” at this point. If you must go the $500 route then pay upon completion. The idea that you should pay the extra money up front is insulting.

16. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Hmmm tough one since you might actually be at or near the finish line. I don't know if the extra charge is that outrageous of a request necessarily, but I wouldn't send it unless you get a photo of the bass completed and Joe himself literally stuffing it into a box. Once they prove it's completed, I personally would likely cough up the money. If the bass is a total loss to you without the scale change, then I would do it. After all, if the bass ends up being a keeper and you play it all the time, the extra cost won't seem like such a burden when you take delivery.

Based on the results of this thread. There really just seems to be a handful of folks that had significant delays, and everyone else seems to be relatively close to their dates. At least there aren't enough issues for this thread to be jam packed with people with their fists in the air.

17. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I mean - how much would you get back and what equivalent bass could you get instead? Since they told you it was no problem switching scale length initially, and we are talking 500 bucks - I'd be firm about refusing it. They've flopped 3 times already : No cost, then 1000, now 500...The principle is more important to all parties I believe, and they don't look great here.

Here's what I would say about their "no spare parts / liability thing" - Show me the legal contract that has that stated. Are they saying they wouldn't sell a replacement / fretless neck to an existing owner?

If it's a bolt on bass - any yahoo can pull the neck off a Zon and slap it on a different body. Anyways.

...send them this thread ...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    Obese Chess and Aweiss96 like this.
  18. I would get my original bass that i ordered without spending any more money and sell it if i didn't love it. Then continue to tell this story.

Obese Chess and Raoul_Duke like this.
  19. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what?

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    This.

Unless Joe is able to provide a delivery date in writing, ASAP means nothing. I doubt the parts are a liability. I'm guessing he doesn't want a parts bass floating out there that could tarnish the brand... which is pretty clear that Joe has already done that. How far is he into the initial build? Any recent pics?

Obese Chess and bobdabilder like this.
  20. I would push back and say just the bass is fine, 32" scale, and as discussed originally they change the spec for free. At this point, they really need to meet you in the middle.

However, even if they agree, I wouldn't be expecting to get that bass in my hands any time soon. Perhaps the original spec would arrive quicker, perhaps not, but I sense there may be some resentment at the request, and it may not exactly put your new neck at the top of the pile.

There's really no good option. If you're happy with a different bass, I'd take the quickest option then sell it to fund another instrument. If it has to be a Zon, I suppose there's nothing to do but keep waiting. In that situation, I'd probably pay the $500 to get an instrument I'd actually play.. but I wouldn't hold my breath about getting to play it any time soon.

Obese Chess likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021