Zon basses - is everything OK ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rumblefisher, Jul 30, 2018.

1. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Must.... resist....

J.Wolf, Apolicious, wellso74 and 6 others like this.
  2. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    LOL.

WG Plum likes this.
  3. Looks like their business model is not so customer friendly as of late.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  4. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Yes, we need 26 years ago Joe to make a visit to the shop :)

Just an update for you guys, I was told my bass would be ready by end of October during my last correspondence with the shop. I've since checked in to ask if there's an update considering that I felt we were very close, and so far no response. I reached out just before the end of October, and last week as well.

5. Thanks for the update.

6. truand85

truand85 Zig Zag Wanderer Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    Read all 24 pages, though long before halfway through I decided never to buy a new Zon. Always wanted one, too.

They'll lose plenty more customers from this thread.

7. mrgittleman

mrgittleman

Dec 23, 2003
    NYC
    I don’t think that was the intention of the people who have been waiting or who have posted. Some people have gotten their instruments right on time some had to wait a long time. The point of this thread is not to dissuade you from ordering an instrument just to make you aware that you might have to wait.

Fuzzbass, Hankenstein and Jefus like this.
  8. truand85

Nov 11, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    It should be to dissuade me. I've read everything and it seems to me that regardless of wait times, Zon as a company has lied, ignored, failed to communicate effectively or at all, and in the case of one person, after 5 (!!!) years, they are still requesting money to make changes with no pictures of anything. That's pretty bad. Everyone can come to their own conclusions, but mine after actually reading it all is that they are not honest people.

9. mrgittleman

mrgittleman

Dec 23, 2003
    NYC
    Agreed. If I had known what I know now after waiting 5+ years I probably would have not given them a deposit. Everyone who reads this thread can come to their own conclusions but as stated before I don’t think it was the intention of the OP to dissuade people from ordering. I think the point of the thread is to warn people of the issues that exist at the shop and what they might run into if they do place an order.

Fuzzbass, Tanner5382 and Rumblefisher like this.
  10. truand85

Nov 11, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    I hear you, and I didn't say it before but best of luck to everyone still waiting. Hopefully you do end up with something.

11. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    I posted this sentiment in the Pratt thread in Feb of ‘20:

“Why would anyone ever think it is acceptable to take money from a customer and then fail to live up to your commitments to that customer? And, why should anyone condone that bad business behavior by giving a pass to the company because:
    1. they have emotional issues
    2. they have had a run of "bad luck"
    3. they have "lost their workspace"
    4. they have accepted too much work
    5. they have a reputation of "being flighty"
    While it may be admirable to have compassion and tolerate some horrible business actions committed many of the "entrepreneurs" mentioned in TB threads, there is simply no excuse for not being able to run a business on a professional level. To remove the assorted cautionary tales regarding these sub-par companies is just plain foolish ...”

I feel exactly the same way whether it’s Pratt, Huff, Zon, Bee or any of the others … you’re in business taking peoples money, you’re obligated to live up to your commitments …

BadJazz, bobunit, tblurker and 6 others like this.
  12. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Good morning guys. Just wanted to say again, thanks to all for the indignation on the behalf of those of us waiting...it is what it is though,, not getting deposits back so best we can hope for is our basses.

An update...I emailed the main customer service rep in early September but didn't hear back...it's entirely possible my email ended up in a trash bin as I switched to protonmail (I don't like Google having access to all my info...which I'm sure they do anyway). I wanted to give him time to respond, bit it's been a little while now.

I re-emailed this past Friday, sent it to both Mr. Zon and the chief customer service rep this time. Basically it just entails the specs I want to "lock in" for the 32 scale, and that I have a set of pickups I'd like for them to use but I want to know exactly where to send them. I expect they'll probably answer this week. :)

13. truand85

Nov 11, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    You likely have strong legal recourse and could get your deposits back if you filed in small claims court. It doesn't matter what clauses they have on the contract, any judge will see how unreasonable they are and void them.

I would contact a lawyer, they'll do a free consultation and give you an idea of whether you have a leg to stand on. You don't have much to lose at this point, and can use that as leverage to motivate Zon to prioritize your order if nothing else. And should that not happen, you can file a claim and see how quickly you get your bass then.

iTzPrime, BeeTL and Rumblefisher like this.
  14. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Off-topic @truand85 ….

I appreciate your profile pic, don’t see too many references in that direction here on TB

truand85 and 31HZ like this.
  15. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars
    If it's of interest, here are links to the San Mateo County Clerk's office:

Self Help

Self Help

Rumblefisher likes this.
  16. truand85

Nov 11, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks that's nice of you to say! While I can't play the piano all that well and my first love remains the bass, the great jazz pianists can't be overlooked if you love music.

Joshua, 31HZ and Ed Goode like this.
  17. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    truand85 and Ed Goode like this.
  18. 31HZ

31HZ Glad to be here Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Central VA, USA
    That would come off more as "helpful" and less as "oddly opportunistic" if it were coming from someone else, just saying.

BeeTL likes this.
  19. truand85

Nov 11, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    J_Bass likes this.
  20. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Under the flight path
    I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV, but I wonder about that 'stuff happens and we're not responsible and you can't come after us' wording from *any* business. It seems like same thing as the 'we're not responsible for stuff falling off this trailer, so don't follow closely' on a dump truck. Nice try, but that's not how it works in this state at least. If a chunk of whatever they're hauling falls off and goes through my windshield, they are for sure liable and no sign on the trailer gets them out of that. I do not give up my rights just by driving down the road in the unlucky proximity of a dump truck. I don't know if it's exactly the same thing legally, but I wouldn't think a buyer would give up their rights just by virtue of the fact that they placed an order (and a deposit) for a good or service to be delivered.

Fingers crossed for quick resolution for those still waiting. That's probably as good as my legal advice.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 6, 2021