1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2017 was great for bass, because...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass V, Dec 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    personally, gear wise, or our bass world in general, how did it go from your perspective?
    of course we still have the year end Christmas surprises, but IYO what made '17 good?
    for me, despite a couple of unsettling local buy burns and atrocious shipping practices by some unprofessional pros it's been another great year of life's main goals... further acquisitions and learning, on both points I can thank TB a bunch.

this was another year which strongly suggests we're deeply in the best of times for gear and innovation, the new stuff in both bass, amps, and cabs has made life easier with less weight and more 'good' power, while our choices may never been broader. cool gear constantly comes out and gets reviewed then quickly gets passed over for the brand newest and it's smart bargains galore for us! and researching prospects is more efficient now, we've learned to decipher the usable info from the bogus better, plus companies are less prone to pulling something on us cos we've got immediate response and have learned to use that power better now. with the glut of new, used, vintage guitars out there the deals on killer basses is unprecedented, $300 or less will get you a great bass, cab, or amp for life! it's been like this for a while but '17 seems like a peak of sorts, whether '18 will continue this upswing for us consumers will be known shortly but in our 'small picture' there's no reason why it shouldn't.

maybe this all comes at a point where it's less viable for most of us to be involved in music like before, but if the golden era of playing has passed at least we can bid it adieu LOUD AND CLEAR and still have fun.

2. 2017 was great for me because I made fewer bass gear purchases.

2018 promises to be an even better year! ;)

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

sorry: i didn't get that memo! :)

it's been a pretty good year for this player: two working bands, lots of writing (and arranging), recording, yada yada. 2017 has been great for me as a bassist = i didn't need anything but strings!!!! :D

4. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    2017 was great for bass, because...? They're still easier to play than carrots.

5. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    ignoring the elephant in the room works for me!
    we're in a good place when all our 'needs' are covered, lucky us..., now if I could get my strings figured out!

I'd like to have a go with some of Schecter's newer 'vintage' lines, 4s & 5s, thru some of the new micro heads and fEARful type cabs and see how the middle class lived this year, but being a bottomfeeder in this age is like fine dining with all the quality refuse available.
    Cort is another quality line which keeps improving with age, my new '90ish mystery PJ is a diamond in the ruff and with a sweet Curbow Retro coming post xmas plus seeing all their new stuff it's time Cort got it's due too.

JRA likes this.
  6. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Personally, I got back to playing in a band after a long, long hiatus. Got some good new gear, joined this forum!!

7. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Well, I bought 2 basses in 2017, A Sire V7-5 and a Fender p-bass pro 5. I also built a BFM S15 and picked up a Fender Rumble 500 head. So bass wise I been pretty busy this year.

23996008647_1bd0184737_k. new p-bass by TOM STRAIGHT, on Flickr

38860835761_cb39991e5f_k. Sire V7 by TOM STRAIGHT, on Flickr

27172642659_3539b4a568_k. s15 with metal grill by TOM STRAIGHT, on Flickr

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    +6dB Dan, mikewalker and Bass V like this.
  8. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    simple and serious! which bass are you happier with?

9. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I came out of a five year hiatus. It was time to stop mourning my brother/singer/guitar picker.
    He would have wanted me to be out gigging.
    I'm back!!

10. InnerBass

InnerBass Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2014
    In the Zone
    2017 is the year I was introduced to a few forever basses -
    :hyper::bassist:

FB32A9E2-EC3F-411A-9E03-8C7D72B23108. 6F802840-575C-4A64-B430-D574F133CBC9. 3D6BA20D-1A8E-493E-BBA1-6A6A71A39D3E. E0CACCE5-DB7A-4DE8-9EC6-7A944EE0180B.

The NE2 is an absolute wonder. IME the most comfortable 5’er I’ve ever played.
    Both of the 80’s MIJ Yamahas have their own distinct voice, which I love. Their entire 80’s MIJ BB line is just killer.
    The Lull P4 is the P I’ve always heard in my head, and it has one of Mike’s “to die for” necks. Thanks Mike - and Brad!!
    The Nordy vJ4 is now my go to J. The build is just perfect and the Big Singles pair perfectly with the wood choices. Thanks Carey !

Now if someone would purchase the USA Glaub I have in the classifieds, it would be even better :thumbsup:

11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Incredible new bass.
    Last night we were at Woodrock Studios in Raritan, NJ.
    Best rock band in the state.
    Good close for the year.
    2018 will be even better.

12. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Well I bought a EBMM that I'm waiting to get ... they are quite slow to make those instrument.

I did change the preamp of my Warwick that I bought last year.

Otherwise I tried a lot of stuff that have nothing to do with bass but now I know more what I want to do with my music.

I publish quite a few vid on youtube this year. I hope to publish another before the end of the year.

Bass V likes this.
  13. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I haven't purchased a bass at all this year, well, I did, but I sent them back.

And... I have managed to fight of Maruszczyk/Mensinger GAS for nearly 12 months now!!

However, this year I did open the gates to the effects world, picking up a Meatbox RI lead the way to something I vowed never to have... a pedalboard!

kodiakblair and Bass V like this.
  14. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    I got to play two sets at a local club with my sons, which was the thrill of a lifetime.

I also got my old '82 Peavey T-45 back and I picked up an Axcelerator 2T that might be the best bass I've ever played.

15. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    That's simply gorgeous!

+6dB Dan likes this.
  16. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Thanks.
    Affirmed at reverb.com.
    Only way to go for me at the time.
    Glad they helped me out.

17. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    487996_main_l_201611141331.

I was introduced to MusicMan passive basses and bought one of these.

armybass, +6dB Dan, wmmj and 4 others like this.
  18. lowendrachel

lowendrachel

Sep 11, 2012
    GTA, Ontario
    Finally got my dream bass, amp and cab. A Stingray and Acoustic Image head and cab.

TrevorG, mikewalker and Bass V like this.
  19. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    2017 wasn't a great bass year for me, too much non-music related stuff going on.
    Then there was Esperanza's Exposure.
    And I remembered what hierarchy in my life is actually supposed to be like.

lowdownthump likes this.
  20. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I changed instruments for a while, but switched back to bass when the band reformed.

Electric Kazoo.