1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ambient/Post-Rock/Textural bass playing thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ttasselm, Sep 4, 2013.

1. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    is it wrong to want pedal versions of both? (price quotes in euros or pounds?)

seems like there is some crossover with revolver dx and tensor?

dukeorock likes this.
  2. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Totally forgot I need a new SD card so I can try using my Empress boxes as loopers. Off to the store.

dukeorock likes this.
  3. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Maybe some! I haven’t gone done the modular rabbit hole, so I don’t remember projected pricing. Just thought it was really cool. Like an easier to understand Make Noise Morphagene

4. It was roughly £450 each.

I too was reminded of the Morphagene, a module I once owned for a brief period of time. I regret returning it and will get another one day. Unless I get this instead....

dukeorock and monsterthompson like this.
  5. cosmicevan and dukeorock like this.
  6. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Sounds less than impressive but it’s a good learning experience and thought experiment. I’ve got a widget in there with 4 envelope generators that outputs the sum and individual envelopes. The sequencer is like the Make Noise Cartesian.
    68FC883F-2293-44C3-916D-EC5E92AEFD8B.

dukeorock likes this.
  7. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    A buddy recently put a Morphagene in his case and though he loves it, he said its far from intuitive, but that’s Make Noise in general :)

They launched a kickstarter a few days ago and got the entire project funded in less than 9 hours! I love the concepts behind this system a whole lot. Think I need to hear a few more demos before I’d take the plunge, but I’m in love with the concept :)

Superbooth was pretty exceptional this year...makes me want to get into modular, but even the hardware stuff has some really cool offerings.
    Soma Pulsar 23 drum machine just checks so many boxes for me. The waiting list for for one has over 700 people on it, so I’d be lucky to get one by Christmas.
    Novation Summit synth is rad.
    Elektron Digitone Keys is seriously peculiar and cool, imo. 4 part drone monster, plus I happen to like FM drums.
    UDO Super Six sounds unreal.

HotelX and monsterthompson like this.
  8. Well here ya go:

I’m pretty sure I’m going to go ahead and get this one. In this video it is even clearer how much this takes from Buchla and puts a new and exciting spin on it. It also has the advantage of being a performance ready system designed for playing live, just like the easel.

Here is another video on the pulsar. This starts with a cool jam that shows how deep this thing is.

monsterthompson and dukeorock like this.
  9. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Yep, both of those are super exciting to me! If I could only choose one right now, it’d be the Pulsar 23. Most of my stuff is rhythmic, but at this point I have no personal interest in tried and true Roland type drum sounds and I don’t do dance music. Something with more feel and expression as opposed to a stiffer, straight ahead perc style suits what I’m after

10. I feel the same waY. The Pulsar seems so wild and different, as all of Soma’s products do.

But I also know how fun the easel is and if the new peasel can deliver a lot of that fun for a third of the cost that would be amazing.

dukeorock and monsterthompson like this.
  11. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Getting the hang of looping with the Empress Echo. It’s pretty nice. $15 for an SD card and you get 5 loops which you can set pre or post effect. It’s a little tricky to stomp two switches at a time to scroll through the loops, but not impossible.

dukeorock and cosmicevan like this.
  12. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
  13. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    monsterthompson likes this.
  14. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Thanks!

Not sure why it posted as a link instead of embedded video like it usually has done. Probably user error :bookworm:

I poked the fretless into that rig later in the night. Really nice to be able to play over the loops and create tension with intonation.

I’m going to experiment with moving the V30 loops to being post-effect so that each loop can have a different delay setting. It was a huge help to RTFM as I figured out each engine’s delay time can be set to one of 3 different sources (global tap, engine specific tap, or time based on knob position). I knew it could do that but hadn’t figured out how to change the engine settings from whatever was a factory default.

I also need to test out the Empress MIDI clock reception function. If I could get it to sync up with external loops that’d be nice. Though I think the sync is only for delay repeats and not the loop time.

dukeorock likes this.
  15. Anyone ever tried out this software?

AMBIENT-v4: software module

AMBIENT
    Descriptor: Unique standalone audio processing software capable of producing radically transformed audio, sound sculpting and design. Paint with sound ...

Platform: Mac Osx & PC Windows

AMBIENT – v4 is a unique ambient soundscape generator capable of producing a vast array of ambient textures, from the bizarre to the beautiful. The module has already featured on numerous professional recordings demonstrating its versatility in bring inspiration to the creative process.

AMBIENT processes any WAV or AIFF sound you care to load into it. The possibilities are endless.

Once the artist has achieved the sculpted sound they desire they simply press record to output the new sound WAV – with the option of live recording any tweaks of changes they choose to make. Often the output WAV will be then imported into a DAW of the artists choice.

Version 4 Update: AMBIENT – v4 updates, improves and builds upon customer feedback provided by v1. It is now compatible with the latest Osx and Windows platforms and has an improved GUI.

The design of software includes randomly loaded graphic backdrops created by Mike Podolak. Niccolò Granieri (PhD @ Integra Lab) has undertaken additional programming to bring AMBIENT up to date and build on the legacy of Christopher Hipgrave’s original work.

Features: Multi-effect standalone software module featuring:

• Granular sampler with random pitch function
    • Amplitude envelope with a trigger speed control
    • Three pitch shift controls for adding extra layers to the sound
    • Tape delay
    • Multi-mode filter
    • Ambient reverb
    • MIDI learn – link to your hardware controller
    • Preset save and recall
    The granular function is capable of transforming and mutating sounds into gentle molecules of ambience all the way to harsh and crunchy Autechre style sound-assaults.

monsterthompson and dukeorock like this.
  16. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    so, i did this little project, to me it's ambient-ish. (sort of designed to just walk around or listened to while doing something else—or you can listen attentively . . . )

basically i do this little vids of loops and post them (to me they're sort of funny), sometimes i put them together and make a loose form and do other stuff on top of them. this is the time i've done it and used three tracks of prepared bass stuff on top of the loops.

https://steuartliebig.bandcamp.com/…/the-persistence-of-mem…

cosmicevan and D.A.R.K. like this.
  17. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    That’s worth looking into! Thanks for sharing!

18. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Very cool!

19. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca

the description reminded me that i used this software a few times. semi-random but interesting results for me.

Argeïphontes Lyre is a set of Creative DSP filters, generators, and synthesis techniques for audio, video and text files on the macOS platform. Recombination, Mutation, Distortion, Symmetries, and Strange Attractors. Chaotic implementations of the different branches of arithmetic: ambition, distraction, uglification, and derision.

Audio filters: Sinuosus (sine/square/sine pulse generator with draw function define, equal temperament and microtonal tunings), Asteriscum (ring modulation), Faltung In Zeit (convolution with a time domain aspect), Yggdrasil raíces (8917 polyphonic note and resonance² series chord constructor), Time Domain Erosion (erosive distortion physical modeling), A Subtle Despondence (phase distortion), Dynamic State Veryabyll (second order filtering), Loplop et la Belle Jardinière (recombination with various time/frequency effects), la poquito Translocación Binaural (stereo positioning with draw function define), Sleightes sorting and shuffling (Blumlein delta algorithm stereo shuffling), Wrought of sterres bryht (mean amplitude displacement), Baktunkatuntunuinalkin (20 x 20 matrix delay with oblivion modeling), Eviscerator Reanimator (procedural recombination, granular resynthesis, segmentation), Time Domain Mutation (recombination based on genetic algorithms), The Lobster Quadrille (live recombination with various time/frequency effects), Widscriðel Scrythylle (wave cycle distortion with crest/trough shaping), Concatenate (file concatenation utility), Ouroboros (file looping), Noise (tunable noise generator)

Image filters: Symmetries Seventeen (generator based on the seventeen crystallographic symmetry groups), L'attraction étrange (image/video generator based on chaotic math equations), Elegance is refusal (data generalization filter), Blocks Circles (data generalization filter)

Text filters: Mutacyouns of fortune fletyn with-owte (recombination based on genetic algorithms), File Renaming

Argeïphontes Lyre

from this guy:

dukeorock likes this.
  20. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Visually ambient things are coming to LA. A friend just saw something similar by teamLab in Tokyo.
    Museum of Dream Space | Los Angeles

Wondering what sounds will be inside...

dukeorock and D.A.R.K. like this.