1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ambient/Post-Rock/Textural bass playing thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ttasselm, Sep 4, 2013.

1. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    Looks super cool, the music in the promo is highly annoying unfortunately (to me, anyway, more like trying to sleep on speed than dream lol)

TodaysTomSawyer likes this.
  2. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Random recommendation ask...

I was thinking of getting some sort of a pocket synth or really small synth...was debating going really primitive lo fi or maybe something commercial...not looking to spend more than say 100-150...any thing jump out as worth looking into?

3. How about an iPhone?

4. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Pocket operators are in that range but kinda limited on what you can do depending on the unit.

cosmicevan likes this.
  5. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    Moog Apps are awesome for pocket synths.

HotelX and monsterthompson like this.
  6. I got my Korg Volca synths for $150 each I think, about 3 years ago. Not sure what they cost now. The Volca Bass, in particular, has become my favorite for portable battery-powered synths. I have used it several times to record tracks straight into a handheld Korg SR-1 recorder, using the built-in reverb or delay effects in the SR-1, and after layering a few tracks I get a complete piece of music. The simplicity of the setup is nice. Because it's multi-tracked I can't play these pieces live using just one synth, but for recording experiments while, say, visiting my family over a weekend, it's been ideal. The Volca Bass is a bit big to call it a "pocket synth", but it will fit into the pocket of a big winter coat.

I made these with just a Volca Bass and an SR-1:

7. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Blanked on the Volca. Certainly worth considering.

cosmicevan and dukeorock like this.
  8. Yes

dukeorock and willsellout like this.
  9. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    More looping fun with my synths. The Medusa into the Empress Echo set in looper mode is getting the idea factory rolling.

BayingRidge and dukeorock like this.
  10. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Dang. Just plugged the Nyx in for the first time in a while. It’s gonna be hard to resist V2. I gotta flip a few things first.
    The Nyx and Medusa in parallel is pretty nice.

11. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Now we are getting somewhere. I’m feeling like I’m bonding to this rig now. Ableton sending a sequence to a MIDI hub, then routing a drone to the Nyx, a clock to the Empress Echo, and optional sequences to the Medusa, but with the option to play the Medusa pads.

The Medusa pads have note-hold functionality now, so they drone nicely, and I can set it to 6 voices with each playing unique pitches. I can then set an envelope to control pitch for that tension that comes from being out of tune sliding into a note, and the envelope shifts entire chords at once in sync. I can also bring in the noise generator and FM controls in ways that suit my needs.

I can start “arpeggios” that sustain and shift into changing chords as the Nyx drone pitch changes. Which means I’m going to need to brush up on my inversions and substitutions.

The Medusa is hitting the Empress Echo and then Reverb (Zoia soon). The drone of the Nyx allows me to change patches without obvious changes in the Medusa’s sound. If I want to get fancy, I can program MIDI CC changes in Ableton to trigger Empress patch changes too.

Man. It all just clicked. I was struggling for a while and now it feels like I’m getting it.

12. fuzzspiral

fuzzspiral

Dec 8, 2018
    Italy
    Wow, very inspiring. I immediately joined your youtube channel. I'm planning to get a synth and I was wondering how it would sounds into a SuperEgo, you gave me an example, great results!

Spectrum, handofseven and dukeorock like this.
  13. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
  14. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Feeling attacked
    BA5503FA-E99E-4E5A-A2CC-8C51EED90F6D.

15. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    :laugh:

16. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    I was thinking I could avoid an H9 purchase if I spent some more time with all of the UA plug-ins I have. Nope, I don’t think they will cut it. Although during my explorations I came to really like their GK800RB preamp. So there’s that.

17. Maybe you could get rich making elevator music? There is that? Hah!

18. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    They are awesome, but tactile control possibilities need to be implemented in the console for them to really be advantageous- too much latency when hosted by Daw.

19. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    My dryer likes to do 30 minute sets of harsh noise these days.

20. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    :roflmao:

dukeorock and monsterthompson like this.