1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg V4 - 4x12 Cabinet - Speaker Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jastacey, May 1, 2010.

1. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I've aquired a empty Ampeg V4 - 4x12 speaker cabinet ... I plan on re-tolexing the cabinet and using it as a bass cabinet .... I'm open to suggestions as what would sound good in this cabinet ... what would you load this cabinet with ? ... my thoughts are the Eminence Deltalite II 2512 ( this is a 8 ohm speaker ) or the Jensen MOD 12-110 in a 16 ohm ( this way I can wire it to 4 ohms )

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I asked johnk_10 this same very same question when I got mine back in October... He steered me towards the 2512's and I am ever so glad that I listened!

v4_2512s.

As a bass cabinet, it's one bad mammajamma

-robert

GreaserMatt likes this.
  3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    MOD 12s are guitar spec'd and won't take more than 20 watts before farting out. That's obviously not a problem with a V4 head, but with anything more substantial it could be. OTOH if you are using a V4 head you certainly don't need four 2512s, two would be sufficient. In that small cab driven with 200 watts or less a pair of 2512s on one side of the cab, the other two holes sealed, will work better than four.

4. jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    After doing some googling on this subject ... I found a few threads on what some people have used in these cabinets ... one was using the Eminence Delta 12LF, and they only used 2, and they closed off the other 2 speaker holes http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377062 that is some what appealing to me as the cost of the drivers are less that 4 drivers and gives me the option of adding 2 more later ....the other thread, by Johnk10 details his work of using the Deltalite 2512's ...which has huge appeal to me ...but I'll have to wait and save up for the 4 speakers as they are $130.00 each ... that thread is http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529540 ... so any other thoughts?

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i used four 2512's in mine so i could use it with any head that i have and at just about any volume. the cab sounds great (similar to an old SVT 8x10 but with more mid punch) and i don't regret making that choice one bit. it also help's that i get my eminence drivers at dealer's cost. ;)

here's mine with the JBL aluminum dust caps on them:

SVTVR-V4_cab-1.

GreaserMatt likes this.
  6. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I'd load it with two 3012LFs on one side and two six or eight inch midranges on the other, along the lines of a fEarful 12/6 times two. You could start with one 3012LF, block the other holes, add the rest as when $ permits.

7. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    Bill, would your solution allow for the cab to remain sealed or would porting be necessary?

8. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i'm not Bill, but i think it should be ported (tuned).

9. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    Wow, that sir, is the win. You win at talkbass :D:D

10. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    You could run it sealed, but it would work a lot better down low vented. You could always vent it later on if it doesn't have enough low end sealed.

11. Grooveman1961

Grooveman1961

May 8, 2006
    Alpha 12's? less spendy, should work ok in a sealed cab.

S2012's perhaps.

12. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yes, s2012's would be great too.

13. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    I used S2012's in mine and I think it sounds grand. Very punchy in the low mids, I loaded four in mine because they were a little more cost friendly ($80 per speaker). Even though they cost less, they still sound great to my ears.

attachment.

GreaserMatt likes this.
  14. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Nice!

-robert

15. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    all this talk about these V4 cabs is making want to get one! where and how much do they go for?

16. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    johnk_10, or anyone else- what is the purpose of the aluminum dust covers?

17. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    I got mine used for $125, but somebody had installed side handles on it, so I just sealed them off appropriately, it was actually a fun project. I also lined it per JohnK's help, thanks again John!

18. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Supposedly it extends high-frequency response, but that's not necessarily the case, as paper domes can extend just as high. Where JBL was concerned the reason for their use was as much marketing as it was performance: you knew it was a JBL if you saw a 4" aluminum dome.

19. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i found that the aluminum dust caps actually did add just a little more top end to the 2512's, but not really all that much.

20. jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Here's a photo of my V-4 Cabinet, that I'm going to rework/restore ... A couple of questions for John 10 ... how much tolex does this cabinet require and on the rubber feet on your cabinet, did you use a bolt & T-nut, or did you use a wood screw ... oh one more item ... are the amp cups glued in, in addition to being stapled in?

For those who need to know ... I paid $75.00 for the empty cabinet

4578574620_be896e7933.