1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Atomic Amplifire Bass Box at NAMM

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jimfist, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Sounds great @jimfist !:)
    Brent

jimfist likes this.
  2. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks! I'm never really sure how these clips will come across. I'll take tight and punch every time. :)

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Can it do clean and punchy well?

Inara and BrentSimons like this.
  4. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Hopefully just a few more things I'd like to demo as time allows.

For those of you who use cabinet IR technology, there's @dr bonkers website where he's got a really cool set of free downloads to help us get through the hiatus. I downloaded them last night, and will likely purchase some of his bass cab packs. Really good stuff!

Dr Bonkers In This Togetherâ„¢ Free Cab Pack IR Collection

dr bonkers likes this.
  5. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes it can. I will be going there. ;) You can probably tell that I naturally gravitate toward sounds that have a bit of character and hair on them (my heroes: Chirs Squire, Geddy, Flea, Justin Chancellor). Nothing very subtle so far, admittedly.

BrentSimons and bigsnack like this.
  6. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    GREAT clips @jimfist! You have gotten me very interested in this pedal, I had given up on it.

BrentSimons and jimfist like this.
  7. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thank you! I was very happy when Atomic announced they were in stock and shipping. I've been delinquent in keeping my chops in gig-ready form with all of the cancellations, and the Bass Box was perfect timing to get me motivated into playing more at home (apologies to my better half and two young ones).

I'll keep coming with clips and commentary up until the point I either run out of time, or things to say about the Bass Box. With the number of options available, I'll probably run out of time first.

BrentSimons likes this.
  8. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Here's more. A processed track with cab simulations disabled, using only the 4 band EQ (mode 1) and the SVT Tube amp, and companion dry DI of the same performance....FINGERS. As you can hear, this has BRIDGE pickup written all over it. EQ adjustments are pretty mild. What is most noticeable to me is the "round-ness" the SVT Amp model imparts on the sound. I tried my best to play clean, without bludgeoning the strings (like I usually do...nicey-nice just isn't in my bones these days).

I could have done more with the EQ settings, but didn't want to get too radical compared to the dry DI tone, so you could hear how the amp circuitry works.

9. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    And this is a different take of the same riff, only this time played with a pick (again, politely).

bigsnack and Ba55Man1ac like this.
  10. Great to hear this. Thanks.

jimfist likes this.
  11. dr bonkers

dr bonkers Commercial User

Jul 4, 2016
    Paramus, NJ, USA
    Founder of Dr Bonkers Soundlab LLC, ir provider to audio modeler world
    How are you liking the IR selection in the bass box?

jimfist likes this.
  12. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    So far, I'm getting sounds I like a lot from 4 of the 6 stock IRs: 1X12, 4x10, Boogie 8x10 and SVT 8x10. Considering that I've already been round-and-round the IR rabbit hole from my days with the AxeFxII, I was pleasantly surprised that this was the case. For me, the Bass Box IRs I prefer just seem pretty much "right" for my tastes. The ultimate test is on the gig, of course, but having had plenty of experience with cab sim tones, I'm pretty confident these will work fine.

I've spent a little time with your Dr. Bonkers free "In This Together" IR pack, Portaflex 1x15, Acoustic 2x15 & Hartke 1x15 and have found some really nice alternative tones among them.

I think whomever put together the selections for Bass Box stock IRs knew what they were doing. They work well, hand-in-hand, with the other elements of the pedal...as it should be. Something to be said for the notion of a comprehensive bass product all-in-one, rather than dealing with modelers and having to piece elements together that may or may not be tuned for bass, or may need quite a bit of tweaking in order to find the sweet spots.

BrentSimons likes this.
  13. dr bonkers

dr bonkers Commercial User

Jul 4, 2016
    Paramus, NJ, USA
    Founder of Dr Bonkers Soundlab LLC, ir provider to audio modeler world
    They are all custom mixes from my collections in the Bass Box.

It's great to hear you like them. I always trusted your ears.

jimfist and BrentSimons like this.
  14. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Ha!! I had a hunch. That's great! I'd never heard a Boogie 8x10 IR that did much for me until the Bass Box. That thing just has that really addictive GRUNT to it that seems to be elusive in a lot of IRs.

Years ago, I had purchased other bass cab IRs from a couple of the heavy hitter names in 3rd Party IRs, and they were good, but didn't really capture the unique essence of the speaker's character IMHO. I just couldn't find it. Perhaps that's why I struggled so much with the AxeFx...oh well. Water under the bridge.

Good for you on the collaborative. Let's hope the word spreads on the Bass Box. There's just so much good going on, I'd like to see it do well and receive the kudos I believe it deserves.

BrentSimons and dr bonkers like this.
  15. Man....I miss going to NAMM.......:(

adamaarts, BrentSimons and jimfist like this.
  16. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Anybody else have one? I've been dialoguing with Tom at Amplifire about it but he has gone silent over the last several days.

17. Zymba

Zymba

Nov 14, 2019
    I'm on the waitlist for the next run as of a week ago.

jimfist and scubaduba like this.
  18. ferndog32

ferndog32

Sep 4, 2006
    Tucson
    I signed up a couple of weeks ago, haven't heard anything besides initial confirmation email. Given that the world is on pause I wouldn't expect anything for a while.

jimfist likes this.
  19. nicholisims

nicholisims

May 6, 2020
    Mine is set to arrive today. I placed the order on Apr 24th after getting on the wait list on Apr 9th.

jimfist likes this.
  20. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Tom can disappear and then reappear randomly in spurts. I'd guess that he's generally always got a lot on his plate. Other than @dr bonkers , who assisted with providing the cab IRs for the Bass Box, I'm not aware that there's anyone affiliated with Atomic Amps or Studio Devil on TalkBass...which is odd.

If you happen to be on some of **the** other **gear** forums and search their Digital Modeling **page**, you'll see that Atomic & Studio Devil are present elsewhere on web forums. PM me if you want anything more specific (if I haven't made it obvious enough already).

dr bonkers likes this.