1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Atomic Amplifire Bass Box at NAMM

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jimfist, Jan 20, 2019.

1. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I posted this over in the big Preamp thread but I'll duplicate it here. More sound clips inside. Use good earphones please.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    jimfist and Atomic Amps like this.
  2. Atomic Amps

Atomic Amps Commercial User

May 11, 2020
    Represent Atomic Amplifiers and Bass Box
    Hey! This forum is such an phenomenal resource. Great to see Bass Box being represented. We're excited about this product and really appreciate your feedback. We've been working hard to get through a pretty substantial reserve list but we expect Bass Box to be directly available from our store in the next couple of weeks. So if you're on the list and haven't heard from us yet, you will soon. If not, there's still time to get on the list to get the early adopter $100 discount. Looking forward to spending more time here. Cheers!

-TK

Kevnn4, Qlanq, scjurgen and 7 others like this.
  3. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    So glad that you've joined TalkBass, Tom! The Bass Box is a wonderful pedal! :thumbsup:

Atomic Amps and adamaarts like this.
  4. scjurgen

scjurgen

Apr 26, 2019
    Please push your products to the European market, it is really not easy to get them here over the pond. I got an Atomic Amplifirebox (my favourite) and an Amplifire 6, waiting now for a Bass Box expecting the same treat!

Atomic Amps and jimfist like this.
  5. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've seen Atomic Amps pedals listed on Anderton's web site. Any idea if they are still an authorized vendor? It would be nice to see a shipment going overseas for you all to enjoy.

Atomic Amps and adamaarts like this.
  6. Zymba

Zymba

Nov 14, 2019
    @jimfist I really enjoyed the clips you posted. I still haven't heard back from my preorder email but I still plan to pick one of these up. As a Zoom B3n user I'm curious about your thoughts on the built-in cab sims on the Bass Box compared to the Zoom as well as the HX Stomp you auditioned. I read that Atomic is using the sims from one of the more popular companies but can't remember which off the top of my head.

Thanks

Atomic Amps likes this.
  7. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thank you for the kind words. At post #162 above, @Atomic Amps is on this forum representing the company. From what I understand, the cabinet IRs for the Bass Box were contributed by @dr bonkers working with Atomic Amps & Studio Devil.

With respect to comparing the Zoom B3n to the Bass Box impulse responses, the Bass Box is the clear winner here, no debate. Granted, I've been able to get satisfying results using the Zoom B3 and B3n, but their cab sim IRs were acceptable, workable, but definitely not a strong point. On all counts IMO, the Bass Box just sounds and feels like a better quality piece of gear. The cliche' is that it sounds & feels more "real". Well...OK...but that's how I'd describe it. Zoom does surprisingly well considering price, but at a certain point you have to acknowledge that the better modelers are going to outpace the Zoom stuff. Atomic Amps/Studio Devil is really, really good quality modeling.

Regarding Line 6 HX Stomp, I found it to be very full featured for bassists, good choices in amps & cabinets and all, but really didn't enjoy the physical knob/switch limitations of the unit, and that wound up being the deciding factor more than anything to do with the sound capabilities. I dislike menu-diving on the pedal for gig-adjustments, and not going to bring a laptop to a gig just to edit stuff on the fly. So I decided to stick with the Zoom stuff until the Bass Box became available. And since I've always enjoyed a good SVT amp/cab combination, the Bass Box was able to scratch that itch immediately for me, but it really doesn't end there. There are a TON of great sounding options living in this pedal.

dr bonkers and Zymba like this.
  8. starjag

starjag Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2019
    I need this!

Atomic Amps likes this.
  9. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I am a fan.

10. Zymba

Zymba

Nov 14, 2019
    Right on! That sort of confirms what I'd already guessed. I appreciate the feedback.

As a side note I've used the Studio Devil amp plugin for recording before (the Pro model) and it's fantastic.

11. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've got a Sterling Ray 34 CA (Classic Active) bass that I've just re-strung with D'Addario Half Wound strings for a couple reasons: 1) I haven't used anything but round wounds for decades, and looking to explore a somewhat different vibe; 2) the Ray bass is really top end heavy, to the point where, with the treble knob at 100% on the instrument, it can loosen the fillings in your teeth (round wounds)....so I'm always having to roll off the treble knob so that it plays well with typical downstream pedal & amp settings.

It'll also be nice to see what can be done with this bass using the Bass Box. Weather is nice this weekend, so not sure when I'll have time around yard work and errands, but hoping to record this soon.

Atomic Amps likes this.
  12. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Does anyone know if the bass box can be set to have the original sound of your bass and just work within the eq and boost parameters without the amp modeling while using live or recording?

Atomic Amps likes this.
  13. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, it can be set up to do this in the software editor. Either of the Main outputs (XLR & 1/4") have selections that allow you to bypass the amp modeling and cabinet IR part of the signal stream (select the "Blend" option for the Tap). If you don't want any Dynamics in the sound, you'd run both Dynamics pedal knobs at full counterclockwise (I'd go with mode 1, which would set the compressor to 1:1 ratio = no compression). You'd have the Boost button engaged, and if you want to make further adjustment, the software editor gives you access to the overall Boost Level (amount of Drive gain is the knob on the pedal), and wet/dry BLEND setting.

You can read all of this in the Bass Box Manual documentation (pg 9 "OUTPUTS"):
    https://atomicamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/ATM_BassBox-Manual-V1.pdf
    It's very straightforward as explained in the manual.

Atomic Amps and Agosix like this.
  14. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Thanks! You got my enthusiasm going.

15. Atomic Amps

May 11, 2020
    Thanks! Looks like Andertons will be getting some stock soon. Brexit won't effect their ability to ship to other EU countries until January at the earliest. We're also looking into getting EU specific distribution as well. In the meantime, sign up for the Bass Box list and we'll let you know when we're going to start shipping there. I expect some news in the next 2-3 weeks on the EU.

jimfist likes this.
  16. Atomic Amps

May 11, 2020
    Thanks. Bass Box uses the same basic tech with a slightly different spins and updated/enhanced tech.

17. Atomic Amps

May 11, 2020
    Great to be here and big thanks for sharing your experience and helping to answer some questions. Very much appreciated!

equill, dr bonkers and jimfist like this.
  18. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Cool, thanks. Very happy to do so! :thumbsup:

Atomic Amps likes this.
  19. Atomic Amps

May 11, 2020
    @dr bonkers Huge thanks and props to Dr Bonkers for his contributions on the Bass Box stock cabs. We're very pleased with them. The Atomic/Studio Devil team have always been fans of his IRs and he has been a pleasure to work with on this project. We're in the process of updating our manual to include a well deserved credit to him.

If you haven't tried Dr Bonkers Bass and guitar IRs you really should. They are some of the very best out there and an outstanding value!

jimfist and dr bonkers like this.
  20. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Ok tried to work the editor and it works! Got my clean tone. Now I can experiment from here. Thank you!

jimfist likes this.