1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AudioKinesis Cabs Part VI...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thor, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    It's like Jack Nicholson said in "A Few Good Men..." Some folks just can't handle the truth...

Kirk Bryant likes this.
  2. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    ’m not sure I can handle much more of this handle adoration love fest, so just stop it before I fly off the handle..... Could you all please go back to talking about the audacious audio performance and such and let the man get back to work building his unique take on bass specific speaker cabs. We need more of his inspired brand of innovation in the bass world.
    I’d really love to see him get caught up so I (as well as others) might have a chance to acquire one these lovely little beasts some day too, preferably before I die.

Duke Im waiting to get in line!

Edit: But Im a patient man.

edit edit

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Kirk Bryant likes this.
  3. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    Sounds like you've got a problem with "love-handles." I don't like 'em either, but I like dieting even less!

tombowlus, ahc, Kirk Bryant and 2 others like this.
  4. toddmcm

toddmcm

Jan 19, 2005
    OC
    Another maybe not quite so patiently waiting in line member. Hahaha. I didn't realize he was backed up and called a few times before landing here.. and checking classifieds like 3x a day. In search of Hathor 1506 but would "settle" for a 12 for now. In OC / LA if anybody has a lead on one.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Well well. Ten years ago this weekend I met up with Duke in Boise at a Talkbass GTG and picked up my then new TC112AF. I wanted to hear how it sounded out in the room so I recruited a random TB'er to play through it for a bit:

Michael Manring and Thunderchild 007.JPG

I'm not positive, but I think that may have been Duke's wife's first experience hearing a "name" bassist playing through one of Duke's bass cabs in the flesh. A good time was had by all in any case, and here's to the next ten! :cool:

WG Plum, Sanchan, stubborne and 25 others like this.
  6. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    That photo is validating to those of us who suffer from the aesthetic blight of lateral overhang. Look at that rack case sticking out past the TC cab on each side. And look at those happy music appreciators showing no apparent dampening of enthusiasm.

Cool photo!

Sanchan, GregC, wave rider and 3 others like this.
  7. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Heh...I did eventually end up building another DIY amp in a format that fits that cab "better." But in my work queue is a retrofit to a different rack mounted one, which I think may be more likely to survive my upcoming gear purge. Muffin Top, live it, love it.

Duke's wife took that photo, Duke and I were too busy trying to get our jaws off the rug. Duke was not as familiar with Mr. Manring's work as I was and in his usual humble fashion was a bit reluctant to even ask him to play through the rig. I had just attended a killer house concert the night before though, and Michael was all over trying our stuff out. I can't overtstate what a blessing it was and is to be able to hang with guys like both of them really. ;)

8. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring our spinning, shimmery aquasphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Peak life experience. Unforgettable

wave rider and Passinwind like this.
  9. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    What a wonderful memory, thank you for bringing all this up.

My wife and I had been adopted by a grey tabby named Gandalf, and he was a Michael Manring fan. I don't recall him showing anything but feline indifference towards any other music I played over the stereo, but he would lay down in front of one of the speakers and bask in Michael's playing.

10. atrapp

atrapp Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    I've been an AudioKinesis Hathor 1203 owner since July of 16, I had Duke build me one for our upcoming move to Taiwan. I gigged once in Oregon prior to leaving the country with my band of 5 years - Vox, 2 guitar, drums and me, the amp was a Puma 900 - FOH for vox only, the little cabinet was not even pushed to fill the room.
    In Taiwan, I only used it for Worship and in 18 I bought Reiner Saturn V SN02 - what a great pair.
    Since our return in mid 19, I have only used it with the Saturn V, man does it rock - is the ultimate mini rig of doom.

reiner saturn 5.jpg

msb, sonofshel, Slaymus and 18 others like this.
  11. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    I don't have a photo of my rig right now, but I'm loving how consistently other bass players (and sound guys too) who are sharing my rig consistently underestimate my Changeling because of its diminutive size.

They also still don't understand how I rock up to a gig with my amp head in my pedal case and look at the combo with some sort of disdain (Quilter BB800 ftw).

Then I play an open B on the Dingwall, and...

Duke - you're a master craftsman.

12. Ken Lloyd

Ken Lloyd Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Portland, Maine
    Similar story. Gig last summer. The house sound man came over to connect XLR out from my Mesa, looked at my smallish H1203T cab and helpfully informed me that bass players use 15s and 18s. This was a high energy quartet and the drummer and I cranked it out, with me using big stage sound from the cab. After the first set the sound guy came back and asked, What is That Cab? It’s amazing! Turns out he plays bass and wants one.

Chuckle.

13. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Sweet, hope to hear it in person sooner than later. That GTG you hosted at your place a zillion years ago was a total blast.

atrapp and staccatogrowl like this.
  14. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

I recently started playing at a new church, and the sound guy/pianist/bassist commented that while he likes 5-string basses, he doesn’t understand why they aren’t tuned E-C. According to him, even a low D is going to be mush in the room.

I had just put fresh nickel rounds on my ABZ, and made a point of treating him to a bunch of crystal-clear low B, C, and D pedal notes. Definitely got his attention!

15. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    upload_2021-4-11_18-29-28.jpeg

DukeLeJeune and ahc like this.
  16. saltymonkey

saltymonkey Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Syosset, NY
    My new to me Reiner Saturn V sitting atop my trusty 1505. What a perfect combo! C9E8D9C7-BDE2-4F78-835A-8ED8B7FA6BD3.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  17. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Basically Bob likes this.
  18. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
  19. saltymonkey

saltymonkey Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Syosset, NY
    It's an AMB-2 made by Bruce Johnson, modeled after Ampeg's AMB-1. There's no percussive pickup under the guard just the single hand wound magnetic pickup you see. Next month will be five years since he made it for me. It's a cold dead hands instrument for me. Simply stellar in every way.

wave rider, Passinwind, ahc and 3 others like this.
  20. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Thanks. I thought it might be one of Bruce's but wasn't sure. Nice!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021