1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Baby Bass megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by nil, May 2, 2001.

1. 65AmpegBB4

65AmpegBB4

Apr 26, 2019
    Florida
    Agreed 100% ... the original Ampeg BB is quite the sight to look at, in addition to its unique/punchy sound.

2. ghoulcaster

ghoulcaster

Jan 13, 2017
    What 5 string set options are out there for this style of bass?
    For those with 5 string BB style basses, which sets do you use?

3. Deltatim

Deltatim

Nov 5, 2016
    Stockton, CA
    Was just watching the Daily and Vincent show on the Geand Ole Operys Circle channel....noticed Darrell Vincent playing a BB. Sounded like a Kay on my TV. Acceptable for Bluegrass

4. Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Nov 1, 2008
    Florida
    Yep, a few years back I performed at a Country/BG festival that was held in Gainesville, Fl. I was using my BB and many of the BG cats were awed by my Ampeg giving me a breakdown on the ABB history and how BG was a perfect fit for that instrument. I was the one in shock, (I did not know that). Since then I've seen 60's video clips of the ABB being used in that regard including one with Elvis....now that was awesome!

mikedfather likes this.
  5. Mister Cbass

Mister Cbass

Jun 30, 2011
    France
    Hello,

I'm considering a KK baby bass.
    I would like to know if the KK DB are made with a D or Eb neck ?

Another question, I've often read on french forums that the attack with the right hand must be different with the baby bass than a acoustic db. More "Electric " bass touch, and let " work" the pickup.
    I've always found that strange, Depending the setup, string tension, it was propably possible to play both ( Db acoustic and kk) in the same way with the right hand ?

Have a nice day.

6. Hi Bob, sorry for the late reply, I don't make it here that often.

One option might be a replacement (wood) bridge. I got mine from Jentzen Design's Miami FL many, many years ago, so you'll need to confirm if he's still producing these. I got purpleheart and it improved the tone a tiny bit, but it wasn't a giant difference. Perhaps another wood would be more significant.

Hope this helps.

farace likes this.
  7. Totally agree. I have an Azola Lightning Bug that I've used on Latin gigs when the BB is in the shop, and while it sounds amazing, it lacks that characteristic 'bounce'. I recently got extremely lucky and picked up an Azola BB-4 (!), so I A/B'ed the two pickups, and that bounce just adds so much more energy and push.

Fast Freddie likes this.
  8. MaxJohnson

MaxJohnson

Jan 29, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm a new '61 baby bass owner and got my bass without a rubber bridge mute, so the sound is very sustainy and feeds back at low volumes without the mute. Is there anyone that makes a replacement rubber crown for the metal bridge for baby basses, or is there an alternative to help get that classic Ampeg sound?

9. Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Nov 1, 2008
    Florida
    Most of the Latin cats I know including me do not use it at all. Later ones didn't even come with one. There's probably a different issue with yours. It should not feed back at all no matter how close you have it to an amp. ABB's just don't feed back at all. At least that's what I've seen and heard. (And I've seen and heard many of them).

Bass 45 likes this.
  10. MaxJohnson

MaxJohnson

Jan 29, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    It has a really long sustain which of course assists with feedback. I cut a small piece of foam I had lying around to fit the bridge and it definitely sounds more "classic", but I would love to know if there's a rubber replacement.

11. MaxJohnson

MaxJohnson

Jan 29, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    THIS is the sound I'm after (and yes I know I am not Jymie Merritt, but the thump of that instrument is the vibe):

12. Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Nov 1, 2008
    Florida
    Yeah that sounds nice. Too bad you cant record what your ABB sounds like. There were variations of that set up with the rubber damper. Some had the rubber on the aluminum bridge, and I believe some had it on the tail. In either case I don't thing those things are available any more. You will probably have to have it custom made. Here's something else, a lot of us Latin cats remove the aluminum bridge and opt for a wooden one, (custom made of course). In the 1990's Ampeg had contracted with Steve Azola for the re-issue. It too came with a wooden bridge. You might want to try that some day. Did you completely lower the tone button?

13. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    Max, it sounds like you might need to adjust the pickup. I don't have it right now, but if you google the owner's manual, it has the method to do it. I'm sure someone has posted it here, too. @Bruce Johnson would probably know what is up with yours. Cheers to the late Jymie Merritt on his 5 string ABB!

Make sure the tone is all the way down. That's the sound. (although I suspect Jymie might have been one of the few people that didn't turn it all the way down.

It should be thumping without the mute.

It seems most people have come up with home made solutions to this issue as even if you have the original mute, it is 60 year old rubber, and basically hard as a rock.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Fast Freddie likes this.
  14. doran.dragic

doran.dragic

Jul 2, 2014
    Hi, this is late but I only bought my KK yesterday and maybe this helps. The first photo is where the D would be and the second is the Eb.

As for the technique - I'm a beginner and can't comment, but I remember reading the same thing. As far I remember it had to do with the amount of thump being produced and KK has a wooden bridge and maybe doesn't have the same issue. I can't play it like I would an acoustic upright because the pickup is picking up the resonance so I need to adjust my technique. I've read that (at least) one TB member installed a piezo pickup which made the baby bass sound like an ordinary EUB.

Attached Files:

15. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    I hope the Smithsonian buys this.

Court Crawford, Joshua and RyanKinBK like this.
  16. RyanKinBK

RyanKinBK Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Oakland
    I didn’t even realize Andy had passed—all the way back in April, no less.

So sad... He was a huge reason I decided to start playing baby bass.

Fast Freddie likes this.
  17. Is this comany still in business?

18. Is this company still in business?

19. Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Nov 1, 2008
    Florida
    I'll miss him. He was one of the NYC masters. I often bumped into Andy in my heyday of Salsa networking. One of the hardest working cats I knew. Every time I did a gig he was on stage performing with Manny Oquendo and Libre. In fact when I got my ABB I had no cover for it. Called him up and stopped by his apt and he gave me his old original Ampeg one. Lasted a few years and long enough to buy a re-issue by Azola. We Bronx brothers are slowly fading away...

dylanjohnson and RyanKinBK like this.
  20. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I don't think Azola is still making instruments.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021