Bossa Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scubaduba, Oct 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I'm guessing there aren't a ton of Bossa owners here on Talkbass but if you have one, let's see pics. Made by luthier Toshio Setozaki these are really rare in the USA so maybe some of our International brothers and sisters have one? Here's a few pics of my UJB 5 with Ash body and Ebony board. I love the preamp on theses basses. Very unique and highly versatile. My favorite tones are EQ flat with both pickups on in dual coil mode and then the inner coils. Talk about BIG tone, these things have that in spades. Cool stuff.

IMG_8382.JPG

IMG_8384.JPG

IMG_8383.JPG

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Bonsist, RobTheRiot, JRA and 8 others like this.
  2. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I hope more Bossa fans chime in here. These basses sound fantastic. Amazing preamp. Rare, yes, and no longer being made but glorious instruments.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    J.J. likes this.
  3. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    Congrats!

J.J. likes this.
  4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Here are three older Bossas. As an aside, the Natural Ash bodied one was originally owned by David Nordschow of Eden.

The third bass is a fretless. 20171022_122635_HDR.jpg 20171022_122815_HDR.jpg 20171022_122948_HDR.jpg

Bonsist, wwcowley, MrLenny1 and 6 others like this.
  5. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Nice!

J.J. likes this.
  6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Palm Bay, FL
    Cool basses...Bakithi Kumalao played these

J.J. likes this.
  7. Afc70

Afc70 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    D458014D-FB5C-4409-8284-87344B53A4FA.jpeg Here is my Bossa Ob-5, Bossa’s are great basses!

Bonsist, wwcowley, kesslari and 5 others like this.
  8. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    J.J. likes this.
  9. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Love that finish.

J.J. and Afc70 like this.
  10. Afc70

Afc70 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    Thanks! Im partial to cherryburst/ maroon colored basses !!

J.J. likes this.
  11. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    If anybody ever wants to sell their Bossa please drop me a line. I love them.

J.J. likes this.
  12. Lowmate

Lowmate

Apr 15, 2016
    I might sell mine if the price is right. OB-6E. Let me know if you are still looking for one.

Attached Files:

JRA and J.J. like this.
  13. ------------------------------------------------------------
    Nice one scubaduba...indeed, basses from Original Bossa Design, Osaka (Japan) are a rare find..not only in The US, but also Worldwide and over here in Europe...they sound much better than they maybe look :)..lucky enough I could buy my 3rd USED Bossa model last year..let my post some pics of them later on.:)..cheers from Holland, JJ

Afc70 and scubaduba like this.
  14. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What?..they are no longer made?..must be kidding..or not? :)...I had not heard of this so far..yet, it's a bit quite around mr. Setozaki of Bossa lately?..hmm

15. My Bossa OB-5 fretless Walnutbody headstock.jpg My Bossa OB-5 fretless WalnutbodyBolton3pieceMapleneck25-fretEbonyboardBossaHbPu's+3-bandPreamp.jpg My Bossa UJB-5 CherryRedbodyBoltonMapleNeck21fretEbonyboardBossaHumbuckPu's+3bandPreamp  head.jpg My Bossa UJB-5 CherryRedbodyBoltonMapleNeck21fretEbonyboardBossaHumbuckPu's+3bandPreamp  body.jpg My Bossa OB-4 Koabody body.jpg My Bossa OB-4 KoabodyBoltonMapleNeck25fretMapleboardBossaHumbuckerPu's+3-bandPreamp.jpg My Bossa UJB-5 CherryRedbodyBoltonMapleNeck21fretEbonyboardBossaHumbuckPu's+3bandPreamp  body.jpg
    My Bossa OB-4 KoabodyBoltonMapleNeck25fretMapleboardBossaHumbuckerPu's+3-bandPreamp.jpg My Bossa OB-4 Koabody body.jpg My Bossa UJB-5 CherryRedbodyBoltonMapleNeck21fretEbonyboardBossaHumbuckPu's+3bandPreamp  body.jpg My Bossa UJB-5 CherryRedbodyBoltonMapleNeck21fretEbonyboardBossaHumbuckPu's+3bandPreamp  head.jpg

Hey, cool to see other Bossa Bass lovers on Talkbass :)

They are indeed not widely known and rare to aquire or to find...especially over here in Europe :)
    yet I had been lucky enough to own now 3 of them..they are all USED and older ones, as order mades are a bit pricey :)

Maybe it's nice to show them to you..though sorry for the poor pic quality! :)

1) Bossa OB-4 / Koa body / 3-piece bolt-on Maple neck / 25-fret Maple board / Bossa Humbucker Pu's & 3-band preamp...

My Bossa OB-4 KoabodyBoltonMapleNeck25fretMapleboardBossaHumbuckerPu's+3-bandPreamp.jpg My Bossa OB-4 Koabody body.jpg

2) Bossa UJB-5 / TransCherry (Alder?) body / 1-piece bolt-on Maple neck / 21-fret Ebony board / Bossa HB Pu's & 3-band preamp with Halftone switch...

3) Bossa OB-5 Lined Fretles / Walnut body / 3-piece bolt-on Maple neck / 25-fret Ebony board / Bossa Humbucker Pu's & 3-band preamp / Sperzel Locking Tuners...

My Bossa OB-5 fretless WalnutbodyBolton3pieceMapleneck25-fretEbonyboardBossaHbPu's+3-bandPreamp.jpg

My Bossa OB-5 fretless Walnutbody headstock.jpg

Btw, the OB-5 fretless is the best one I ever could play on...great growl/vibe, preamp, balance & weight! :)
    also I'm thinking to trade my UJB-5 now for a fretted OB-5 version..just for comfort sake :)..so I would like to hear what anyone of you might have got! :)

Cheers & Merry Christmas from Holland!
    JJ

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Bonsist, JRA, mark beem and 2 others like this.
  16. stark william

stark william

Apr 7, 2017
    Greetings, my name is William. I worked with Toshio from the beginning to market the bass in the early 90's.
    I created the "Bossa Bass" name and also The Urban Jungle Bass. LT+vUxcRS6OwlyXzEuGoRA.jpg
    He had a great run of 20 years or more. he is retired now I think. This is my upgraded Bossa 5 ...

17. Both basses are looking cool....but 5-strings are enough for me :)

18. Hello Scubaduba....still interested in buying a Bossa Bass these days?.:)..but I might sell/trade my UJB-5 string (Trans Cherry Red body)...see pics of this one in my post to this thread...let me know of more/better pics, info etc...greets from Holland, JJ

19. Hello William...nice to hear from you!...I had no clue so far who worked with Toshio :)..also I'm unsure of the year of build of my 3 Bossa basses...seems there are no serial numbers attached?...so you created the name for "Bossa Basses" and also the "Urban Jungle Bass"..Tropical Model?...did you knew it's difficult to find or search for Toshio's basses under this brand name? :)...so, you think he's retired now?..ahm..that would explain why I had not heard anything from him for quite a while...hopefully he's in good health!...I would love to have more info about his basses..especially about the Pickups, Preamp & Hardware he used...do you think it's possible to get any re-placement parts for Bossa Basses?..sometimes I had the impression he had been inspired & also used stuff from TUNE Basses?...Nice Spalted Mable top bass you have!..a UJB-5? :)...anyway, greets from Holland! JJ

stark william likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021