Club Moollon

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by was3funk, Nov 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Andy is on FB regularly… I’ve communicated with him reliably on Messenger.

2. projectapollo

projectapollo Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Tennessee
    Did that. He has responded to me with general information and I replied that I'd like to start the ordering process. No reply at that point. I'm sure they are quite busy so I'll try again.

3. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Yes, busy trying to get caught up with 3 years of backlog.

4. Ultradust

Ultradust Commercial User

May 19, 2007
    Seoul, Republic of Korea
    General Manager, Moollon
    Thanks for hanging in there, guys.

And apologies for DM and email silence. We had two major (extended) holidays in the past weeks and I've been juggling email while busy locked in the studio working to pay the bills, not to mention a chunky 2nd-dose Pfizer fever/headache last week that went on four days. All's well now and I'm heading back to reply to everyone, one by one.

BTW, I don't want to get all alarmist or anything in the original thread (no need to cause a ruckus like I'm prone to doing), but in seeing the recently-sold molded Moollon case from just a few years back here in TB should be used with caution, which at least two individuals in this thread will likely have had experience with. There's a very good reason why we moved over to a superior maker's HSC like Gator as soon as we found it to be an issue, i.e. after the first three were shipped to North America and we saw how poorly constructed it was upon arrival.

The molded case with the Moollon brand on the side is pretty and stuff and should be fine for normal storage, hand-carrying-about, collectability(?) as a fun conversation piece.

But the huge issue is insufficient bracing of the body and inferior case foam failure, which will NOT keep the bass safe if knocked about. Again, we'd like to stress in no uncertain terms that there is a risk of the headstock punching straight through the other end and denting the plastic shell if a bass is shipped in the case or dropped; the foam where it contacts the bass will not keep both of the basses horns, the neck hilt (sincere there's not support there), nor the headstock from going straight through the foam itself if enough force is applied. This happened even with proper packing surrounding the case itself, and one will have to heavily brace the neck hilt and horns if shipping with a bass inside is planned. And those who have ordered in the past few years know how serious we take packing things with even the very well-made Gators, adding bracing wrapped in micro-fibre cloths as needed, just in case.

Again, the Moollon-molded cases from the past are nice for normal hand-carrying use, but using it beyond that for shipping or "on tour, thrown in the truck" is not advisable.

5. projectapollo

Aug 12, 2009
    Tennessee
    All is good. Andi replied, deposit sent, and a Scott Devine classic IV is on the list.

6. Mayo Fan

Mayo Fan

Apr 7, 2009
    Amsterdam
    Congrats! I have one on order as well since May this year. Expected completion was 18+ months back then. No clue if that's still realistic, time will tell. ;)

MattyMcMattface and Sam Dingle like this.
  7. dhagopian

dhagopian

Jun 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    It's not.

Mayo Fan and Sam Dingle like this.
  8. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Nashville TN
    Kind of a dumb question that I could answer myself, but has anyone used a moollon P4 for down tuning? Wondering if anyone keeps theirs a whole step down or lower. It’s something I’ve been getting into lately rather than using my 5 string and was wondering if other people do the same.

9. Derek DiFilippo

Derek DiFilippo

Jun 9, 2005
    Hi Sam,

I've had my P-IV down to DGCF often (45-105 NYXLs) and it sounds/feels great. No change required, just detune. I think if you wanted to get to C# or lower you'd need a proper setup/intonation and then leave it down tuned so the bass can settle. That would be my choice at least.

I move between E, Eb, D on the P-IV with total rock and roll impunity.

I've been tempted to order a J-IV but strung and setup for C#/F#/B/E, and it would stay there.

600 Ohms, Sam Dingle and unresolved like this.
  10. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Nashville TN
    see I’m considering trying that before I decide to sell my J4…

11. Derek DiFilippo

Derek DiFilippo

Jun 9, 2005
    Unless you need to, I wouldn't sell it ever -- but I'm hugely biased. If it's not fitting in to your stable of tones try the "park in C#" strategy? Nothing to lose by trying. You can sell it in a moment notice if you wish/need.

Sam Dingle and 600 Ohms like this.
  12. projectapollo

Aug 12, 2009
    Tennessee
    I'll drive to Nashville for your J4. Dibs.

mmbass21 and Sam Dingle like this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021