1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club Sadowsky!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Dec 23, 2007.

Tags:
  1. KaseOfBass

KaseOfBass Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    My WL-5 is Ash/Morado and I think it’s a great combo. But, to my ears, Morado is closer to Maple than it is to Rosewood. Doesn’t quite have the snap of Maple and is definitely not as warm as Rosewood. Sits pretty well in between the two. So with an Ash body (no top on mine, just chambered Ash), my bass is real close to the Ash/Maple combo (closer to that IMO than its is to an Ash/Rosewood combo) just a little more subdued up top. Of course, YMMV, but that’s how I’m hearing it vs. the other wood combos I’ve had/played.

Fred312b, 5StringPocket and ShawnG like this.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Most of my collection is alder-maple. That includes the Sadowsky P5 in my avatar, which is my favorite! That said, I also love my other two Sadowskys: an alder-Brazilian P5 and alder-ebony "MM5".

puff father and ShawnG like this.
  3. JoshS

JoshS

Dec 30, 2018
    Colorado
    Agree, but one for me. I think it may have been more "norm" years ago, but I like how bright it is. I don't love it for every setting, but I do really like it. To your second question, I have an ash/pau ferro Fender Jazz, and 1:1 with the Geddy, it is so much warmer. Warmer than my ash / maple sadowsky (with rounds) too, and similar but not as versatile (IMHO) as a walnut / maple Ric, which can be both mellower and clankier, IMO, depending on a number of factors. (But Ric...)

ShawnG likes this.
  4. Todd Larson

Todd Larson Supporting Member

The alder/maple bass combo has a history going back to c.1957. My understanding is that Fender’s supply of ash at that point was inconsistent, and alder was easier to work and more readily available. I don’t think the choice back then was about tone, but the result speaks for itself. Love that sound. And of course Roger and crew improved the design exponentially. Since coming on board with Sadowsky, my Fenders sit mostly idle.

R&B, Fred312b, ShawnG and 2 others like this.
  5. marc40a

marc40a Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Todd Larson, JoshS and Fuzzbass like this.
  6. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    For several years, my main player was the Carl Pedigo build showing in my avatar. Light ash body, rosewood board, birdseye maple neck. I was looking for a deep, rich native timbre, and this delivers. Have returned to Sadowsky based on love for the preamp, particularly in the Will Lee mode, and enjoying a WL5 morado/alder Metro that features more punch. But over the years ash has become my favorite body wood, which is a deep migration given my general lack of love for the maple/ash combinations. Other than that WL Metro, my mainest basses are the ash/rosewood Carlo, and an ash/ebony Xotic XB-2, and I'm thinking of an NYC build...ash/ebony WL5...

ShawnG likes this.
  7. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I seem to recall a few folks here ordering ash/ebony recently (?).

8. kevk

kevk Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Napa Valley
    My most recent acquisition on the left (ash/ebony UV J)...love it! (The alder/br on the right, ain’t bad either ;))... 480B9D50-00D0-4B1D-958D-41E8CCD524CB.jpeg

9. Tjluke

Tjluke

Aug 4, 2007
    Italy
    Modern-FL1.jpg My MetroLine Modern 5 by Warwick.

lgrankin, GregC, Fuzzbass and 8 others like this.
  10. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    none darker. all 3 of those look fantastic

11. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    recently as in last year, but yes.

12. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I've had a lot of basses built and ash body with a nice Ebony fretboard is by far my favorite combo. To me it gives and more aggressive attack with clarity and snap that cut's through a live band mix better than any combination of woods I've tried.

Todd Larson, 5StringPocket and Vic like this.
  13. atrapp

atrapp Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    off the ash alder discourse, well I do have an ash amazon redwood NYC J 5, and an ash ebony Warmoth 4, both strung with D'Addario tapes. The acoustic tone of the Warmoth is super warm and colorful...

back to the original content of this post
    Thinking of ordering a matte black PG for this - what's the collective thought?
    PXL_20210430_234218191.jpg

lgrankin, MAJOR METAL, R&B and 6 others like this.
  14. atrapp

atrapp Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Actually, perhaps just buy a roll of matte black vinyl film wrap as a tester

R&B likes this.
  15. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I’m not a big fan of black pg with a black control plate look.

I’d try match the color of the label on the headstock, if I could. Some kind of cream color, maybe?

Amano likes this.
  16. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    I vote two-ply black. Stick with the Halloween Theme!

17. atrapp

atrapp Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Is silver logo

PXL_20210430_234228006.jpg

18. atrapp

atrapp Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Hey brother, how you been?
    Would you be so kind and post photo of your choice?

19. atrapp

atrapp Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Btw, put LaBella tapes on this - do not do this! They are terrible strings, the texture is slick but they are sloppy like a rubber noodle.

20. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Oh, I see. So it matches the blocks.

I’d still try cream. I had a metallic orange bike with the same color scheme that I struggled with when kitting it out. I ended up using cream as a counterpoint.

Here’s some inspiration:
    3A87CD20-6BE4-468F-A764-8C2FDC9D488D.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    atrapp likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021