1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club Sandberg (part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Obrad Lacarac

Obrad Lacarac

Feb 22, 2011
    EU wanna be
    You should write an email and ask Sandberg is it possible to send just one saddle for the bridge.
    I'm sure they will help You, as they are one of the most user friendly companies I was in contact with.
    At least they will tell You what to do or whom to contact from the dealers.

2. taught

taught

Jan 5, 2015
    Hungary
    I already heard a lot of good things about their customer support. If things go down that way I will be sure to give this one a try. Hurts noone! Also, I am located near to Germany so sending small parts to my country shouldn't be a big deal.

I tried to capture it but a phone camera has some limitations when capturing fine details:
    20190704_174612-1.

Jughead6 likes this.
  3. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi taught :)

These type of screws are easy to ruin!

And I am sure that you are not the first bassist who killed one of these! :D

Don' t take it to a machinist! Don' t buy a new bridge!

This is it. Sandberg has a customer service!

Just be nice, tell them what happened. I am sure someone will take care of your problem!

greetings

Wise(b)ass

Wise(b)ass

taught likes this.
  4. Hey all, just received my a VM 5 Nighthawk from CME. Great sound and I love the neck feel. I yanked the sandberg strings off a few days after i got it (they were kinda dead) and put my faithful DR 45-125 on. Has anyone had problems with intonation by chance? I set my own before with no problems but a couple of the strings are very flat around the 3-5 fret even when the 12 fret is in tune. Thanks

5. I doubt that Sandberg got your frets in the wrong place! I would wager that this is an issue related to you recently changing strings.

Is the open string in tune? Have you set the witness point on each string?

Wisebass and Roy Vest like this.
  6. I need to check the point of contacts again just to be safe. Yes, for instance the open A will be in tune with the 12th fretted note but 12 octave will be off quite a bit. Its mostly with A string but the D is not great either. Around the first 6 frets its pretty flat then gets more in tune as you go. E string is very in tune across the neck.

7. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Is this not just a pure intonation issue and you have to move the saddles to rectify this and assure your break angle is consistent?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    Wisebass and Roy Vest like this.
  8. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    But I have never had this problem across numerous Sandy’s

Wisebass, Jughead6 and Roy Vest like this.
  9. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    If we are talking about that hole at the saddle that looks like it once had threads, but is now completely roached, then no! That sir, is trash.
    Go buy a new saddle.
    If you didn't force the screw in, it was likely cross threaded before or the the original threads were not in spec.

taught likes this.
  10. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Yes, but that's why they have to make them adjustable.
    I have a handful of Fenders with the same strings and the bridge points in nearly the same places.
    Two others, not so much.
    If there is something really out, you should be able to measure it with an accurate metal scale (36" long ruler) although I would guess not.

11. Set I better set my witness points and it’s got a lot better. I wonder if the A string itself is bad. It’s in tune at the 12 fret, 12 fret harmonic, and open. Still from frets 3-9 it’s flat on the A string. I think I might go buy a new set to see. Thanks guys.

Cuzzie and Jughead6 like this.
  12. Orlan

Orlan Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2008
    This is hardcore aged, right? That's nice! I think an off white or a mint would go with it too ;)

13. Mammoth_Bass

Mammoth_Bass Check out my band Mammothor!! Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
    Not totally sure what the level of relic is... will post photos once I receive it. Should be Wednesday! I have always wanted a Sandberg so I am excited. I have way too many basses tho so something else may need to go

Orlan, TB24 and Wisebass like this.
  14. Obrad Lacarac

Obrad Lacarac

Feb 22, 2011
    EU wanna be
    Sandberg's got 4 levels of relic. Soft aged, Hardcore aged, Hardcore reserve and Masterpiece. You can see all of the differences at their web site at Configurator link, if You chose aged finish (for some models). The orange California TM2 from Your post looks to me like Hardcore aged (pickups doesn't have worn covers nor aged neck sides and fingerboard).

TB24 and Cuzzie like this.
  15. thawkeyes

thawkeyes

Mar 20, 2009
    Did you have the same intonation problems with the Sandberg strings?

16. Unfortunately I didn’t try. I could tell they were kinda old and I always change to DR’s when I get a new bass.

17. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Roscoe Basses, 64 Audio IEM, GHS Strings
    Maybe, maybe not. Had an F bass that had a few frets in the upper register that were not placed right(was confirmed and repaired by Jimmy Coppolo when he was an F Bass dealer at his old shop in NY).

Roy Vest likes this.
  18. Mammoth_Bass

Mammoth_Bass Check out my band Mammothor!! Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
    Brought my Sandberg to practice and am really blown away. Truly cuts through the mix and sounds huge. Hope this isn’t just a honeymoon period. Can someone pls tell me the controls? I have an idea but would like to know for sure. Also what are the frets size? They don’t seem medium jumbo or vintage somewhere in the middle. I like them. Happy overall!! 5C4E0F17-C9C1-4926-BB60-B1A732E0DBE4.

DJ '65, Orlan and Wisebass like this.
  19. Note to self: never buy an F Bass.

Adam Wright likes this.
  20. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Roscoe Basses, 64 Audio IEM, GHS Strings
    Same bass had a 3 piece maple neck(standard feature) and you could feel the seam where the neck pieces were glued together because they hadn’t been sanded properly. I’ve had a few F basses since then and all were similarly mediocre in tone, playability, and comfort. Glutton for punishment I guess.