1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dean Club!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tom once dead, Apr 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Absolutely light!

Mahogany body and mahogany neck.
    Surprisingly light!
    But the double course B string is so ‘heavy’ man.

Beersurgeon likes this.
  2. MattSasquatch

MattSasquatch

Nov 12, 2018
    Ohio
    How do you like these? The green has always caught my eye because its so vibrant looking.

3. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    The B string is so dirty! It's awesome!

B-Mac likes this.
  4. B-Mac

I've decided to have a go at this.
    I recently bought this for $99
    s-l1600.
    and this
    40 HZ (the 35 HZ is too short to fit in the same opening even though it is for 5 string)
    emg-40hz.

and this
    s-l1600.

I'm still waiting on the pup from EMG

Right now I am staying passive with just vol/ton controls

But, EMG has this
    [​IMG]
    called the BTC control

EMG Pickups / BTC Control / Bass EQ Active / For Bass / Accessories / Electric Guitar Pickups, Bass Guitar Pickups, Acoustic Guitar Pickups

It allows you to keep only 2 controls while at the same time providing you with a active treble and bass stacked pot. You won't need to route a separate battery compartment as this will allow you to place the battery under the control plate as it does not take up a lot of room.

upload_2019-4-20_13-35-40.

Great way to keep your mod reversible and no white knuckle sweat your brow away wood work!

Dean Edge 09 Bass Upgrade by Rolo

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  5. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    OK, saw that the group is attempting to reach a milestone and decided to pitch in. At least it will help me to start on making a signature to my posts.

Anyway here's my six string bass. Admittedly I don't play it very much. After longing for a six string, I found the string spacing a too tight and I feel that medium-scale is my comfort zone. Still, I think it's a beauty to look at.
    20190420_202516_resized.
    So if the powers that be would kindly give me a number...many thanks.

B-Mac and BamaBird like this.
  6. B-Mac

Come’n up. At the Legion right now listening to a local band :smug:

Edge 6Q. What year?

7. B-Mac

Welcome!

Shaggai,

Welcome to Dean Club!!!

You have been officially issued Member Number 189

BamaBird likes this.
  8. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    So I used my Paramount "live" for the first time at the church I attend today - I played it for the Easter service. It sounds AMAZING in the mix, and the sound guy even complimented me on how nice and clean it sounded. I'm still probably gonna upgrade it with that DMT hot wound pickup, but it sounds killer with the stock Asian pickup. I'll probably keep the stock pickup and use it for another project - might even add it as a bridge pickup on my Fender P-Bass (I've wanted a bass with two split-coil pickups for a while now).

By the way, Happy Easter, everyone!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  9. you took a Dean to CHurch and didnt spontaneously combust?!?!?!?! GOOD JOB MAN! ;)

B-Mac likes this.
  10. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    Yeah, well, it's a P-Bass clone, that's probably why; if it had been something like a Razorback Bass then I probably would have spontaneously combusted! :roflmao:

B-Mac likes this.
  11. B-Mac

You’re good as long as it isn’t a Demonator

12. OK, in the interest of full disclosure I am not a Dean Club member, and until recently avoided the brand on purpose. I bought a Dean Playmate a couple of years back and found it to have an absolutely horrible pickup, and wanted nothing more to do with the brand. However in the last few days while searching for a 5 string I saw a Dean in the pawn shop. I reluctantly played it and, while it needed a good cleaning, I found that I liked the feel of the neck, the string spacing, and the sound.

So I bought it and now have a few questions you may be able to help me with. After extensive searching online I am confused as to what I actually have. As mentioned, it is a 5 string and the truss rod cover says " Dean Edge-5". The closest one I can find online is a "Edge 1" but no where on my unit does it say anything about a "1".

There's one volume pot for the neck pickup, one volume pot for the bridge pickup, and one tone pot. The color is grey which I cannot find online, and the pickups are EMG HZ. I am thinking these are not the original pickups, but rather direct replacements. The back of the neck says the bass was made in Korea and has the serial number. I am not where I can take a photo to post right now, and also cannot see the serial number.

Anyone have an idea of what I have?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thump on,

One_Dude

B-Mac likes this.
  13. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Just got a Dean European Edge Improv.

Been wanting a Spector neck-through but they are expensive and I really do not like the design of their bridge.
    While this was made in the same Czech factory as the early Spector Euros, to me this seems a better bass in a few ways...the bridge design has intonation screws/springs as Leo intended, the fretboard is wenge, the pickups are EMG 35CS active, the pre is EMG, and the tuners are Schallers.

IMG_20190403_183831. dcjbv2xquqg3146o2fmi. ttdfmfkxp00ojrdm4m5n. uzav2st8w2yp9zycwi9q.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    EdBo, B-Mac and NicJimBass like this.
  14. B-Mac

Pictures would be very helpful as well as serial number

15. B-Mac

One of the best kept secrets out there! I own an Improv and a Select. Both neck thru. There is also the Custom which is bolt on.

Nice score!

And welcome!

@NicJimBass and @BradWorld also own a few.

EdBo and NicJimBass like this.
  16. B-Mac

From your description you have an older Edge 1 Five string bass which is passive. The EMG HZ pups are stock. From your description it would be trans black. They fade a bit after 20 years.

If it were an Edge 5 it would be active with vol/blend/treb/bass

Dean made 5 string version of the Edge 09, Edge 1 and Edge 4. The Edge 5 and Edge 6 are basically 5 and 6 string versions of the Edge 4.

What can make this a bit confusing is that they change or modify some things on these depending on the model year. For instance, there is a new Edge 1 in 6 string variety, the New 2019 Edge Pro is no longer Neck Thru and the recent Edge 4 is now 3 band EQ with a mid switch. Edge 4 basses always used to be 2 band EQ. Plus since 2017 they now have the Edge 2 and Edge 3 which have a few variations within each model.

Also keep in mind that the ‘Playmate’ is a term Dean used for entry level versions of models of certain basses. The Edge 09 was and I believe still is offered in a ‘Playmate’ version and usually part of a 'pack' with a 15 watt amp, stand and strap. Liken it to Fender’s Squier brand without it being made by a separately whole owned subsidiary. Not something you should judge the entire line on really.
    [​IMG]

Here’s an example from Reverb
    It’s an older one from 1997 to 2000
    After that they had the newer headstock shape
    I’ll post a catalog page later when I’m on a computer rather than my phone

Welcome!

0C57125C-E471-40DC-82FF-C5A53F83AE81. 9C052D78-D4F5-448B-B98F-8BE8A2D94A54.
    And another example in 4 string of the Edge 1
    F63BE4A0-E6E7-4321-94B0-2FA1136947BC. B76AC84F-FB23-4C6A-8140-3A032ADCD51F.
    In 2001 these no longer had the EMGHZ pups. Instead they had the Dean DMT pups which are not to be confused with the USA DMT pups
    In 2001 they also had the updated headstock.

Per the 2001 catalog
    2001 p38.

As soon as I have the 1997, 1998, 1999 and 2000 catalog I'll post info for your actual bass.

EdBo likes this.
  17. B-Mac

Yours in an Edge Q6. 'Q' is for Quilt Maple Top.
    It has real Mother of Pearl fret dots on the FB. This is from a 2003 catalog. Later Edge 6 basses had a trans finish over Basswood top and body and not a Quilt Maple top.
    Dean_2003_catalog 37.

EdBo likes this.
  18. B-Mac

Some catalog info
    E I overall. E I 4 Flame Blue. E I 4 Flame Nat Oil. E I 5 Flame Blue. E I 5 Flame Honey Burst.

EdBo likes this.
  19. B-Mac

Welcome!

One_Dude,

Welcome to Dean Club!!!

You have been officially issued Member Number 190

20. B-Mac

Welcome!

58kites,

Welcome to Dean Club!!!