1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dean Club!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tom once dead, Apr 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Nine (9) more members to go before we hit 200 members!!!!!
    Spread the word! :)

2. B-Mac

You and @wintremute and @Dana R Gregory play your Dean's at church! I wonder who else here plays their Dean at church?
    Pretty cool.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  3. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    Yeah, I actually have played both the Paramount and my Eric Bass Signature Hillsboro at the church I attend - both sound great in different ways. :D

B-Mac likes this.
  4. B-Mac

Scans From my 2001 catalog
    2001 p40.

5. B-Mac

From my 2001 catalog
    2001 p39.

6. In response to my request for help in identifying my new Dean purchase, B-Mac said;

"Pictures would be very helpful as well as serial number"

So here are some photos.

Dean Edge 2.JPG Dean Edge 1.JPG

Dean Edge 4.JPG

Dean Edge 3.JPG

Dean Edge 5.JPG

Dean Edge 8.JPG

The photos are in no particular order, but the first one shows a small scratch on the back of the bass that appears to indicate that silver metallic is the original color and not a repaint. If it has been repainted I can find no evidence of another color. The finish looks better in person than in the photo.

The serial number on the back of the headstock is; Korea D2006C608

It's difficult to read even in person, so the "C" may be a "0", if that structure does not fit Dean's number scheme.

Also, I thought the pickups are not original, but did I understand correctly that you said they are original?

Thanks very much for your help ID'ing this guy, and for my Dean Club member number; #190.

Thump on,

One_Dude

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    B-Mac likes this.
  7. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    2010, I believe it was a GC "deal of the month" when I bought it.

8. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    Many thanks on the brochure info. Would have never remembered that it was a 35" scale unless I went looking for that info.

9. B-Mac

Need serial #

10. B-Mac

Edge 1 five string. 2000 model year. It is sometimes referred to as an Edge 05 in the earlier catalogs as you'll see below.
    Pups are original. I believe the finish is called Powder Silver - designated as 'PSL'

After 2000, this became the Edge 1 five string in 2001 because it is passive. The Headstock also changes in 2001 and DMT pups rather than EMGHZ's. I'll post pages from the 2001 catalog and an earlier brochure from 1999 to show comparison as soon as I get a chance to scan them.
    I don’t think I have a 2000 catalog or 2000 brochure but the 1999 brochure scan will show your model but 1999 year.

Dean has used EMG & Bartolini pups for quite a while along with Bass Lines
    If no name then they are DMT pups.

Not to be confused with USA DMT pups

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  11. B-Mac

Looks in great shape especially for a 19 year old instrument.

12. B-Mac

Edge 1. Passive. Vol/vol/ton

I can’t read the serial #
    I can’t read anything on the pups (not on a PC right now)
    But based on the headstock and the orientation of the ‘Dean’ logo it would be from 2001 to at least 2008

GC screws up many Dean Ads resulting usually in a great deal for the buyer

13. $99 would be a steal in my opinion. However, between the money i have tied up in the edge 09 and a deal i'm working on with a B.C. Rich Platinum Warlock, the edge 1 wouldn't fit in right now.

B-Mac likes this.
  14. B-Mac

Here are some Edge 1 comparisons.
    one from 1997 to 2000
    one from 2001 to 2006
    one from 2007 forward

1997 to 2000 EMGHZ
    trans amber.
    2001 to 2006 DMT
    trans red.
    2007 forward DMT
    e1tam.

2007 forward 5 string Edge 1 DMT
    mqa58pg36e64xbhcmva00p5s90.

1997 to 2000 EMGHZ Edge 1 5 string (referred to in early catalogs as Edge 05)
    nkh89xy1trh4900kmv9g0sgfkc.

This will at least give you and idea of the differences

2001 catalog page
    2001 p38.
    notice Edge 1, Edge 1 5-string and then Edge with no number. This last one on the right later became Edge 4, Edge 5 & Edge 6 based on the number of strings. Dean was obviously sorting things out as you'll see below.

2007-2008 catalog page
    Dean_0708catalog 34.

Notice the Edge 5, Edge 6 and Edge 8 are all simply Edge 4 with either 5, 6 or 8 octave course strings.

They didn't do that type of naming with the Edge 1. It was Edge 1 4-string or Edge 1 5-string.

From 2003 Catalog
    Dean_2003_catalog 35.

Dean_2003_catalog 36.

Dean_2003_catalog 37.
    Notice on the Edge Q4, Q5 and Q6 that they brought back EMGHZ pups but not on the 'regular' Edge 4, Edge 5 and Edge 6

The Edge Q4B (B for Bartolini) has Bartolini pups and sounds and looks amazing with a quilt maple top.

There is also the Edge Pro which doesn't show up in the catalogs I have until 2007, but I don't have complete catalogs for 2004, 2005 and 2006 only New for that year brochures.

It is an awesome Edge. Neck thru, Brass Nut, Flame Maple top, Badass II Bridge on early ones and then Monolithic Bridge on later ones.

Dean_0708catalog 36.

from 1999 new products brochure
    1999 new products.

MattSasquatch likes this.
  15. B-Mac wrote;
    "Here are some Edge 1 comparisons.
    one from 1997 to 2000
    one from 2001 to 2006
    one from 2007 forward"

So it looks like my bass was originally called an Edge 5 (for 5 string) and is passive and predated the Edge 1 series name.

At first glance I was not very impressed by the condition of my new-to-me Dean, but I guess that was because it was dirty. Now cleaned up it does look like it's in pretty good condition for a 19 year old instrument. Maybe it spent a lot of its early life in its' case in a closet.

Thanks again for all your help.

Thump on,

One_Dude

B-Mac likes this.
  16. B-Mac

Edge 1 lefty and Edge 4 lefty from 2008 catalog
    dean_2008_catalog 53.

Edge 4 lefty also available in 5-string lefty

2007-2008 catalog
    Dean_0708_catalog 55.

2003 catalog
    Edge 1 lefty, Edge 4 lefty, Edge 5 lefty

Dean_2003_catalog 44.

17. B-Mac

18. B-Mac

You have a very nice passive 5 string bass and the Powder Silver color I'd say is a bit rare. Hopefully I can locate some more early catalogs and post more info to completely verify the model name of the bass. You could easily make this an Active bass by getting EMG BTC control. It is a stacked treb/bass pot and takes up very little space and the battery would easily fit under the control plate. I am doing something similar with an Edge 09.

[​IMG]
    called the BTC control

EMG Pickups / BTC Control / Bass EQ Active / For Bass / Accessories / Electric Guitar Pickups, Bass Guitar Pickups, Acoustic Guitar Pickups

It allows you to keep only 3 controls while at the same time providing you with a active treble and bass stacked pot. You won't need to route a separate battery compartment as this will allow you to place the battery under the control plate as it does not take up a lot of room.

upload_2019-4-23_18-7-52.

19. Not all that surprising. Anything lefty other than an edge 09 is rather rare on gc.