1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    On the pickups I ordered from Nordstrand, I specified a wider pole spacing (20.5mm IRRC) so they would align with the strings on my SJ and SP. Does the standard Nordstrand pole spacing align well with the strings on 18mm-spaced Dingwalls?

2. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California aka Paradise
    "Funk Not Only Moves, It Removes"
    My 2017 Z3 came with a 9v Glock. I switched it out for a DG Tone Capsule for a meatier tone. Anyway, the 2004 AB II that I purchased had an 18v Aguilar pre. I took out the Aguilar because it was a little too hot for my liking and put in the Glock from my Z3. I like both the Glock and Tone Capsule. The Glock is more hifi and transparent, and the Tone Capsule has more aggressive mids and the bass pot is centered higher than the Glock.

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I've got 19mm spaced Fat Stacks in my AB1, alignment is pretty much perfect.

*Disclaimer - Fat Stacks are taller that typical pickups, and the routes in AB1s are pretty shallow; Fat Stacks will fit without modification, but they're going to definitely be on the close side of typical distance from the strings when bottomed out. I deepened the routes on my AB1 'cause I usually play a little on the heavy side, needed the clearance so the strings don't hit the pickups.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Charlzm and spiritbass like this.
  4. spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. :)

Charlzm likes this.
  5. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Nordstrands I put on my Afterburner have a 19mm string spacing (the bass has 18mm spacing) and they line up fine.

A pic:

View attachment 3016818

6. I have a Glock in both of my AB1's and they have really nice growl, but I use SS Dingwall strings or Payson Nickel Alloy Steels medium lights. Also, I mostly use parallel (internal)/parallel (external) neck and bridge pup jazz setting with the preamp flat. I also have a DG Vintage Microtubes pedal which emphasizes the growl. I haven't used my 3x in the music man setting. I'll have to switch to the setting next time I plug in and see if it reduces the growl.

7. spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Payson Nickel Alloy? Do you know if the alloy is like that in the DR Pure Blues set? Color me intrigued... :cool:

8. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    I haven’t had a longscale Dingwall the past three years, but the Payson Reduced Core nickels were my favorites for the AB’s.

Also liked the Payson medium lights in nickel.

I could see the Pure Blues being a great string for Dingwalls if you could get them in the lengths needed. The PBlues sound really great on my 35” Cirrus.

9. spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    @bebass is lobbying DR to do this. I've been in the Pure Blues groove with my SP & SJ/P. The combination of these strings with the AlNico V - powered NP-4a's in them is so, so good. :)

Matt Dean likes this.
  10. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    I also use the Pure Blues on my Cirrus!

In fact, hit them up again last week when I ordered a bunch of strings. The production guy is looking at it but the issue may be if they can do a string that long on their machines. I would love to see it happen.

arrowsun and spiritbass like this.
  11. Actually, the medium lights are nickel steels. Thus, I believe they are a nickle alloy, not just a nickel. I find the tone between nickels and nickel steels to be quite different and I much prefer the latter. They seem to have the slightly compressed sound of the steels but with a bit of the brightness and feel of nickels.

12. Payson Fanned Bass Srings NS Medium Light

I'm not sure about that Ken. But I believe the nickel steels are just steelcores with a nickel alloy coating on the wrap.

I had played DR Pure Blues on my Super P and liked them. I am now playing Payson's Nickel Steels medium lights on my ABxxx and I like them very much. I now actually prefer them to the Payson reduced core nickel steels. I am going to swap the Dingwall Steels on my AB1xx with the nickel steels on the AB1xxx and see how I like each of them on opposite basses. I also plan to try the Payson Steels as well. Right now, I am slightly favoring the Dingwall stainless steels on my AB1xx. But I want to hear the AB1xxx with the steels to see if I prefer them on it as well.

AB Nate and spiritbass like this.
  13. Mikaelbass

Mikaelbass Supporting Member

May 29, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Hey Guys,

I am about to put my Dingwall ABII up for sale in the classifieds here, just thought I would make a post in case any of you cats wanted to jump on it....It is a HS body but with chambering...and allllll the goodies.
    Actual bass: 14435397_1284272581592545_3367111618035762149_o.

Akami, ercompa, djaxup and 11 others like this.
  14. BrBss

BrBss Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    drooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrooldrool

15. :woot::jawdrop:

I would so buy that if I had any money.

16. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    Can attest to the amazing-ness of this bass (pretty sure I got the chance to play it before it was sold to its owner) and to the amazing-ness of the seller. Great guy

17. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shout out to Nordstrand - I ordered a set of Big Singles for my Combustion last Thursday afternoon and I just got an email that they are ready to be shipped out.

Excellent built-to-order pickups ready in 3 business days?!? What madness is this?

18. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California aka Paradise
    "Funk Not Only Moves, It Removes"
    Specs please :)

19. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    You get a better signal-to-noise ratio and more dynamic range
    I strongly recommend keeping it, but I'm sure you have your reasons for selling that beauty.

Btw, I own the passive twin:

abii-5-3x-3t-passive-ducati-matte-white-wenge-wenge-speedo-bars-e.

20. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    I guess that leaves me with a bit of researching to ease some curiousity.

I can’t help but wonder the reasoning in most/many modern dingwalls coming with 9v.
    Of the 5 with glockenklangs that I’ve owned all have been 9v. Dating from 09-present.