1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016

Gotcha. Not too bad of a wait time. My SJ was 13-14 in 2015. And my current wait is probably 18(I’m at 13). When I put this last order in I thought, “just do it. I wanted to receive this before I turn 40 and if I wait any longer there is a chance it’s just not gonna happen.”
    Fortunately destiny put my used Zs in my hands when it did.

Whippet likes this.
  2. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    Well - considering I'm on the opposite of the world in Australia, I don't know when that might be. Cheers for the offer nonetheless!

Whippet likes this.
  3. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Thanks! I know I have seen some discussion about it in the past, but it is really buried in 1000+ pages!

The bridge position soloed is the only one I will never use. I almost always use my SJ5 (P/J with Super-Fatty J pickup) in either both pickups in series or just the P soloed. I know the standard configuration for the 2-pickup Super P's (P/J) has an FD3 in the bridge.

4. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    I'm not getting the tones I want - a nice growl - out of my new-to-me Z2.
    My old G&L 2500 had a nice growl to it. My old v1 Combustion did, too.
    No growl at all to the new Z2.

Possibly because I've always played basses with J-style pickups, but I don't think that's it.

The bass has a Glockenklang 18V preamp. Pickups are Super Fatties.

I don't know much about the characteristics of the pickups.
    I think what I need to do is swap out the Glockenklang for a Darkglass.

Comments?

5. Waltsdog

Waltsdog Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    I have the glock in my new-to-me Super J and it's very clean, you won't get any growl out of it as it wasn't designed to do that.
    I just run a dirt pedal or preamp (vintage ultra) on my pedalboard rather than messing about with a new preamp in the bass.

6. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    This is exactly what I thought the issue is.

I've so far avoided having any pedals. My tuner runs off my G50 and that's it. PJB amp though, so I don't need to add anything. Until now.

7. Waltsdog

Waltsdog Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    I have overdrive on all the time and don't want to go to stacked knobs (jazz control plate, no room for more holes) so I'm loathed to change the preamp when I use pedals anyway.
    I assume your Z won't need new holes drilled etc. in which case a preamp change should be fairly straightforward.

8. AB Nate

May 28, 2016

Curious. Have you tried in passive mode and what strings your using? Also. I believe the glock is only 9v.

Do you have series/parallel switches?

Also,

I’ve never thought of the super fatties as growly either....

9. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    Could also be an issue. Changing both the pickups and pre sounds like a lot of work.

There are two 9v batteries.

Have not tried passive mode yet.

10. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Hmmm. Your sure it’s a glockenklang? The DG IS 18 v is it not? All the glockenklangs I’ve owned have been 9v

11. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    Not a new bass, the seller told me what is in it. Could be wrong but I don't think so, seller knew his stuff.

12. AB Nate

May 28, 2016

I’ll go ahead and correct myself then. It looks like it is available in an 18v option. I’ve just never seen it in a Dingwall.

On that note is there anyone here that could indicate why to get 18v vs 9v? Hotter output? Longer battery run time?

13. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I have both an AB2 and a Super J w/Glocks and they are 18v. All of my pres are 18v though, so don't have anything to compare it to. I will say I think the Glock output is hotter than the Aguilars.

14. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Might want to swap pickups. I'm very happy with what Nordstrands have done for my Dingwall.

15. dazmond

dazmond

Dec 3, 2012
    My glock is 18V. '09 ABII. I'm pretty sure I read Sheldon saying somewhere it was for increased headroom/less chance of distortion when digging in

AB Nate likes this.
  16. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Did you go with their standard Big Singles or customize them?

17. dazmond

dazmond

Dec 3, 2012
    What have they done for your Dingwall? Which pickups did you originally have?

18. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    Personally I wouldn’t swap the Glock for the Darkglass pre, even though I am a huge fan of the Darkglass pre. I added an Alpha-Omega pedal to my setup and keep my Darkglass pre as clean as I want it and can use my other basses and get any edge I want. The Glock does pristine & clean very well, but yeah, not dirt.

19. Charlzm

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I ordered a set of Big Singles for my Combustion which Nordstrand will be making this week. I got the Alnico III magnet for the neck position and the Alnico V for the bridge.

20. Charlzm

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have Big Splits in my Afterburner. It sounds like a P bass on steroids. With roid rage.
    When I got it, it still had the OG old-school pickups in it (the bass is over 10 years old) but a Darkglass pre had been installed. I had the pre removed when the Nordies went in.

dazmond likes this.