1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yep. Just over 3 years.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Many dingwall models have variations of the 'switch'. other small toggles have controlled preamp on/off, bluEQube (passive mid scoop) and pickup coil parallel/series switching for each pickup's interior coil wiring.

3. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    He did one video fairly recently about playing a gig when he was high; besides being funny, there is footage of him playing a Dingwall in an intense fusion/prog band.

AB Nate likes this.
  4. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I was just informed that a couple of my ABZs could actually be done as early as June, which would put them right at 14-15 months...

Otherwise, your process is pretty much dead on...;):thumbsup::D

All of my basses on order(Three ABZs, down from four), were spec'd as 3X's with the DGTC, the S/P switches, and the D-Bird rotary selector...:thumbsup:

AB Nate likes this.
  5. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Beating a dead horse here, but Z’s have the fancy individual rail bridge. AB’s have the simple and elegant one piece bridge body.

My AB’s were of the Blueqube tone circuit era. One had a mini toggle for the blueqube, the other a push pull tone knob. Both were passive.

Lots of guys add toggles to be able to change the internal pickup wiring to series and back to parallel. I usually just changed them to series and skipped the switches. With a three pickup bass that’s three toggles and maybe five knobs if you have a three band eq, and then there’s adding a six position rotary for even more...choices.

It would toggle my mind.

Just having a hybrid tone knob on my Super P is enough for me. One half is standard tone, the other a progressively scooped sound. Sort of like the Blueqube, but without needing a switch. The detent is the wide open snarl and bite of an untamed P.

6. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    It's cool that the switches are available for those that need them. I have hard-wired all of the pickups in my basses in series. I like having as few controls as necessary. :)

7. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Phillip Rehm
    Claudio Rocha
    Ed Far I think.

8. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    You had me a Z3llo

johnsonabq likes this.
  9. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Alessandro Stellano, too :)

AB Nate likes this.
  10. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    Well, after the long-ish discussion about Ayumu's bass, the bottom line is that it can sport a pickguard because it's a signature model, with a different neck. A normal Afterburner would be able to fit the pickguard like that.

11. Speaking of custom orders. You know what makes me hesitant to place a custom order? The fact that I can't order an AB 5-string with 19 mm spacing. I understand the reason for it (Sheldon has explained it directly), but I just feel more comfortable with 19 mm spacing.

During the process of my previous custom build (local Swedish builder), I had my heart set on 19 mm spacing, but the luthier convinced me to have it set to 18 mm. That was one of the reasons I didn't get along with it in the end - the spacing felt too tight for my spider fingers, and it made the instrument feel less "me". Every time I played it it would remind me of the fact.

I know in the grand scheme of things this is a minor detail for most people, but after playing bass for 20+ years, you tend to know what works for you and what doesn't.

Don't get me wrong - my ABHS is an absolutely amazing instrument in every single regard, but if and when I order a custom instrument again, I want it to have all the exact specs. :)

I really hope that Dingwall will start to offer 19 mm spacing on all long scale 5-strings in the future.

12. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    I believe 4 strings do have 19 mm spacing. You could go 4 with BEAD tuning :)

13. Not an option for me, I'm afraid.

14. Callum Gibson

Callum Gibson

Nov 2, 2014
    I feel like my 6 string has 19mm spacing. Did they use to come like that (it would be a late 2005, early 2006 build)?

15. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I was the same way. And part of the reason is that I was constantly playing 19mm basses while playing my longscale Dingwall’s. After committing to the Dingwall longscale platform, I am now completely comfortable with 18mm and don’t give it another thought.

However, I seriously doubt that I could ever get comfortable with 17mm, and I am SURE I could never do a Warwick 16.5 mm! My brother who also plays bass (and drums) brought me up on stage and handed me his 5 string Corvette. I could not for the life of me play that damn thing on short notice. I couldn’t feel where any of the damn strings were!

16. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Speaking of strings spacing, I've noticed that the string spacing on my SJ feels tighter compared to my Lakland, yet the specs of both basses say 19mm

17. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    For me, 18mm is perfect. 19mm is great for slap, but a little too wide for fast finger style. 17mm is nice for pick playing and more classical finger picking techniques. 18mm, as expected is a nice comfortable compromise. With 5 and 6 string basses, it also helps keep the neck width down as well, marginal as it seems.

18. Well, preference is preference, I suppose. I understand the reasoning behind tight spacing on 5-strings and beyond (to keep weight down and balance up, ease of playing), but I find it much easier to navigate a fretboard with wide spacing.

Peter Lufrano likes this.
  19. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Medium scale Dingwall still sound amazing if it’s the spacing your after.

20. My first Dingwall was a Super P5, so I'm well aware of this. :)

I want the AB sound with wide spacing. ;)