1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Nope. Definitely an Afterburner.

-That neck joint/heel is only on the AB's
    -The body shape is less radiused than a Z
    -The unified curve of the top to bottom horn is indicative of the AB body.

2. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I hate to point out, but this is by far not a Dingwall wait award winner.

Come talk to me when you exceed 37 months.

Charlzm, AB Nate, Iv@N and 1 other person like this.
  3. Was that for the Rasta Burst?

4. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    ???
    Rasta?
    Do I at least get runner up?!?

BurningSkies likes this.
  5. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    So I read here and there that Dingwalls are popular with prog-metal bassists. So I listened to some Periphery and well...can someone point me to some prog-metal recordings with Dingwalls? Preferably instrumentals or with vocals that don't sound like cats being strangled? Thanks.

Dave W and NaH like this.
  6. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    The ABI is passive. What would you want the mini switches for?

In any case, it's a signature model, the "Ayumu Signature". Source:

singlemalt likes this.
  7. Check out Haken's EP "Restoration". Recorded with a Dingwall AB5. Mostly clean bass tones.

8. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    The switches are for the pick ups active or passive. switches pickup internally series /parallel.

9. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Check out @DBlakley on Hajis Kitchen and Eumeria I believe. Perhaps Derek can provide some links.

10. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    Yeah, but I thought AB Is are only passive.

11. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    The same Z3 electronics are available on AB's. My old ABZ had the same - 3 x FDV's, 3 mini switches, Darkglass Preamp.
    When you see that many knobs, you know either it's active, or there are a few knobs that do nothing.
    The switches have nothing to do with active vs. passive. They only put the coils into series or parallel within each pickup.

12. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Did you listen to this guy at all?
    Werner Erkelens

13. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Or Jacob Umansky

pbass6811 likes this.
  14. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Nope. All Ab models can come with a pre amp upon request.

Options:

Pick ups: 2x or 3x FD3,FDV, SF2
    Preamp: None, Glockenklang, Darkglass
    Switches: @ or 3 depending on how many pick ups the bass has. The switches are related to the (passive)pick ups. Each switch switches a pick up internally and individually.

pbass6811 likes this.
  15. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    Oh, my ABI has a 4-position rotary switch.

I have an NG2, so I ordered my ABI passive, and didn't even bother checking if you can have an onboard preamp.

16. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Yes... Your 4 position Rotary switch is to select the pick up positioning. ie. bridge to neck pick up but not the internal coil splitting.

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Easy to be confused.

The AB's options and specs have changed over the years. At one point all AB-1's were passive, with no neck markers and with only options being for finish and if it had a top (flamed maple) or not. Once it had a switch for a passive mid scoop termed the "BluEQube", but no option on parallel/series switching.
    For a while there was an AB1.5 that was an exclusive for Jivesound (Jong's shop) that was a slight bump up...preamp and upgrade to quilted top if wanted.

The AB-2 when it started looked more like the AB-HS (heavy solid). Walnut or mahogany body bubinga neck/pommele bubinga topwood. Later on, they were chambered and ended with the stylized F-hole. These came standard at that time with 2 or 3 band preamps.

Z-basses have also been spec'ed with different levels of options at one point. My Z has options that are closer to what would have been possible on a Prima Artist of that era, soon after they trimmed back.

The real key is less the electronics and/or finishing options and more the body shape & neck. AB's have straight-pull headstocks. Z's and Prima's have composite angle tilt back headstocks. At one point Prima's bodies were very similar to Z bodies...but then you'll see the 'reverse horn' Prima arrive in the mid 2000's
    The trademark of the AB is that single curve that makes the top and bottom horns unified rather than lumping about the neck joint, and the exposed neck heel that goes all the way to the neck pickup.

FerK and Iv@N like this.
  18. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Just made a Dingwall playlist on Spotify. Thanks!

How about jazz guys? Got any guys I should listen to?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    AB Nate likes this.
  19. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Hanging on in quiet desperation... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    So...

A Z3 with three Super Fatties paired with a DGTC with s/p switches... Thoughts?

IronSpatula likes this.
  20. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    You may have to do a bit of digging, but Adam Neely has a Z that he uses from time to time. His band is called Sungazer, but he does a lot of freelance work with it too. Look him up on youtube, specifically his videogame awards vlog.