1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    His communication was above and beyond what I expected. Majorly appreciated. He made sure to ask any question that surfaced on his end and answer all of my questions as to make sure he was 100% accurate. I thought the rates were more then fair. The shipping was more expensive for me then any other cost. I drove south of the border and then shipped to him from state side but he shipped direct back home and the difference in cost was more then double....:(

The luminlay stuff is definitely cool.
    If I could do it again I’d have done luminlay for the side line markers top and bottom and stuck with my original submittal to Dingwall I believe.

2. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    For me, I'm just glad I have a HPF on my bass.
    If I decide to keep my Combustion after my AB1 arrives I will be putting a DGTC into it.
    I've heard of Audere and also Nordstrand being put into Dingwalls.

3. Bad_tattoo

Bad_tattoo

Jan 23, 2019
    Denmark
    At any rate, I'm still more interested in knowing if the Combustion will fit a X3 s/p switch, nobody seems to know :roflmao:

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    In my case, had I kept the Combustion as 'stock' the EMG would have remained installed. But once things went fretless, I felt that the DG had frequency points that just made more sense when it came to getting the emphasis at the fingerboard.

5. johnsonabq

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Understood. At this point I've been playing mostly passive so I'll only be using the tone very sparingly. IMHO EMG and Aguilar lack the personality of the DGTC. My favorite preamp is the Spector 9v HAZ circuit, but of course that's not an option for Dingwalls.

Peter Lufrano likes this.
  6. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    You have an on-board hpf?

7. johnsonabq

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Nope, it's in the LIne 6 Helix I play through and also one built into the Mesa Subway D800+ I play through. I also have an outboard one if I need it.

To clarify, it's on the signal path, not in the bass.

8. AB Nate

May 28, 2016

If you scroll back enough through this thread you'll see its been done before. at least with the most recent year models.

9. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    SOLD - 2018 Custom Dingwall NG3

10. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    SOLD - 2018 Custom Dingwall NG3

11. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    That bass has 3 switches, but it is not a Dingwall 3X switch assembly, it is just three individual switches, probably from DigiKey or Mouser.

This is the Dingwall 3X switch assembly:

20190905_141359. 20190905_141417. 20190905_141503.
    When I looked into fitting a 3X switch assembly into an NG2 putting it into the exact same spot as on the AB's and Z's, I believe (if I recall correctly) that I found that it would require just a small triangular notch cut into the side wall of the rear cavity for it to fit nicely, but it would still entirely fit under the stock cavity cover.
    If somebody would like to do a test with an actual PC board, I will send you the switch assembly that is pictured here for $0.00 plus the cost of postage. A couple of the traces got lifted on the bridge pickup switch from excess heat, and it looks like a wayward soldering iron melted some of the terminal block plastic as well. The switches are perfectly good if you want to install them exactly as in the link @AB Nate posted.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Andyman001 and BassikBrad like this.
  12. Peter Lufrano

Peter Lufrano Blues. and nothing but the Blues. Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    I have an Audere in one of my custom Shop J's. Very nice sounding preamp, as far as active stuff goes. Clean, quiet, Musical. But I no longer play those basses and haven't tried an Audere in any of my Dingwalls. I've been converting them all to passive circuits of late, although I am interested in trying a Darkglass in place of the stock preamp in one of my SJ's.....

BassikBrad and Iv@N like this.
  13. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    I installed an Audere 4 band into my former ABZ 5. It was pretty clean sounding as far as I remember

xnewyorka likes this.
  14. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    I actually meant to attach this link earlier regarding question about audere

SOLD - Dingwall Combustion 6 3X

15. Salciniclas

Salciniclas

Jan 13, 2019
    Germany
    so the aussieboys from the omnific switched their toilet bowls for some sexy NGs....

can't wait for the youtubelink

16. LedZepmann

LedZepmann

Jan 22, 2004
    USA, Scottsdale
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    That exact bass was one of the NAMM 2018 booth display basses and it now belongs to me!

Attached Files:

17. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Nice
    Nice score, Mann! Curious how it made its way to you.
    Here is your zebra as a young calf, relaxing atop my 7 foot grand piano.
    20180704_214618.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    djaxup, BuffaloBob4343, Iv@N and 2 others like this.
  18. B-string? More like...

Attached Files:

19. AB Nate

May 28, 2016

He bought it from Luffy after I sold it back to him.

Congrats on it buddy. That is one of the nicest Dingwall’s I’ve ever played and a small part of me regrets selling it back to its OG owner.

20. It's here.

I'm not much for grunty, repetitive metal instrumentals most of the time, but this is very tight. I particularly like the way the low end builds around 1:13 to 1:20...

Salciniclas likes this.