Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    At home, I use my audio interface/speakers as my practice rig. I run my bass into a SansAmp BDDI, then into my audio interface. I have a pair of Mackie speakers and a sub connected to the interface and the interface connected to my PC via USB. I can hear it in the speakers, but I have to put my ear to the tweeter. And I can see the noise on the DAW's input meters.

I don't think anything is loose, but I will check.

Thanks again to all for the help.

--jack

2. Ryno1330

Ryno1330 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Wow what a top!!! Got any good closer pics of that thing?

johnsonabq and Nuage420 like this.
  3. Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020
    I just realized despite having the same nut width that 5 string Z's and Supers have different bridge spacing (18 vs 19mm).

For those of you with experience with both, how noticable is the difference? And really, to be specific with the fretting hand especially.

4. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    I find it noticeable on both hands. I’ve learn my sweet spot is 18mm. Still love my super I playing style is different on it.

Andyman001 and Ryno1330 like this.
  5. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Certainly!

TB04.jpg 20200224_142400.jpg TB03-1.jpg 20200224_142424.jpg

6. johnsonabq

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Can't forget the Luminlay. ;)

20191208_165603.jpg

7. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    I found the string spacing was more of an issue than the scale length when switching between the Supers and AB-1. It’s not huge, but it would take me a bit to get acclimated.

I prefer 19mm. All the four strings have 19mm spacing.

8. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    I used to find the spacing more of an adjustment then the scale as well but lately I’ve been whoring around on my Dingwalls and it’s reversed. I notice the scale more so now.

Totally off topic: The expanse is some of the most killer Sci-fi I’ve watched in.... ever. Sorry, finished season five last night and woke up still thinking about it.
    Carry on.

9. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I find the string spacing makes more of a difference for me. I feel it more on the plucking than fretting hand though, but it is noticeable on both. My preference is 18mm, which is the one spec on my Supers that keeps them from being just about perfect. Though I do understand that many have a preference for 19mm, so you cannot please everybody.

Ryno1330 likes this.
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I'm not sure it's down to string spacing...I'm not terribly picky, having everything from 17mm to 19mm around.

I did find that moving over from the longer scale necks with that asymmetric carve to the more traditional shallow C shaped neck made the neck feel wider and definitely took some time to get used to. I had a sore fretting hand for a week or so until my muscles/tendons and all that stretched a bit and got used to it.

That said, the neck isn't wider and I don't think it's any thicker front to back than my NG/Combustion, etc. it just felt that way and took a bit.

Ryno1330 likes this.
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I have one hanger outside the music room...and that's in our bedroom. Though it's not in a super prominent place, and it generally switches out basses for what I'm playing most at the time. right now it's between the Fretless-C and the Super-P.

johnsonabq likes this.
  12. RoketRdr

RoketRdr

Nov 7, 2019
    Houston
  13. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    If you liked the series you'll really like the books. Don't you hate it when a good series ends and its back to searching the wasteland of content?

Downloading library books onto a Kindle is magic.

Now that all my basses are four strings and 19 mm string spacing, I really notice the shift from the AB to the Super. The Super feels so compact, its ridiculously fun to play.

Ryno1330, AB Nate and J R Knots like this.
  14. AB Nate

May 28, 2016

I used to read a ton of books. Now most of my reading is classified adds and bass specs LOL.
    Glad to hear the books are even better. Definitely suspected it but the way they deal with gravity and just about every other detail of the show makes it thoroughly enjoyable on top of a great plot, solid production and acting.

I mean I could pick out a few things of course, but so far no Starbucks cups on a medieval dinner table. The “Thule” Cryochamber was a chuckle though.

yes. The super feel soooo compact compared to the long scale
    Good topic blending

Andyman001 and J R Knots like this.
  15. Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020
    johnsonabq and J R Knots like this.
  16. johnsonabq

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thank you sirs!

17. Jup, I liked it a lot, too. The first one with the detective is still my favorite season, but I also liked the later seasons. The Mandalorian was also superb, I was pleasantly surprised by it... I expected nothing after the latest SW movies.

Andyman001, Sheldon D. and AB Nate like this.
  18. About to just sell my Dingwall. So tired of the special string BS. I just bought a 4 pack bundle of strings directly from dingwall. They get here and it’s the medium scale for the super series not for the long 37” scale. Very likely my mistake. But I’m just to the point where I’m over this special string crap. I just want to be able to go into my local music stores and pick up strings whenever I want.

19. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    I can't do that with my parallel basses either.

First I want SS and the local shops only have nickels, then I need a bigger B so that the tension matches despite the 34 or 35" scale, and nobody sells those here - even online I usually have to special-order singles anyway.

So yes, it is annoying, but it's not better elsewhere anyway.

Waltsdog, dirkhh and 1983L2000 like this.
  20. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Rough morning!! :facepalm:

try some Paysons outta Texas or fretnation for dingwall strings.
    Quick delivery and killer strings.

For my Parallel basses, strings are still something I have to order online unless I want D’addarios... or something else I don’t like. Not a huge deal if I plan ahead

1983L2000 and Waltsdog like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021