Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:

1. That is very nice Bob! I love it, what is the wood used for the neck and the top?

Randy

2. That's bubinga for the neck and top.

3. I was thinking that it was, but by not being totally sure, I didn't want to just jump out there and make a guess. I just got a Spector 4 banger with a bubinga top on it. It needs some work, but will be much nicer when I am done with it.

4. Yeah, that light was kind of subdued, but it shows off the detail of the grain better than bright sunlight, which looks very different:

NewPics4-21-07092.jpg

NewPics4-21-07043.jpg

Nice grab on the Spector BTW. I don't think I've ever seen one with bubinga (hint, hint ;))

RyoCanCan likes this.
  5. Those are great photos too.. bubinga has such an aura to it, soft but yet it still gives a bass an aggressive look to it!

As for the Spector, it is a Legend Custom model, it is a Korean built bass, but the neck pocket is nice and tight, and the neck is nice and streight, the frets need a little tune up on the ends and it needs better pups and electronics in it. I got it in a trade at the music store that I deal with all the time, Chris the owner wanted my HT-310, and since he offered the bass plus the balance of my store tab (which was not cheap) for the cab, I had to say..yeah! I really came to not liking that cab very much at all. So I don't feel bad about it. When I am done working it over, I will then post some pics of it.

6. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe

Attached Files:

7. You know.. there are some folks that will claim that you can only play one at a time! So, let me ask, how do you choose? And, which one is your fave?

Randy

8. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    There are few favorites. I will just point out the individual nuances that I like from my very very favorite ones

"Uber Alles": huge tone, very complex mids with great upper mid attack
    "Transparent": very airy sounding, cuts through every mix without dominating (unless I choose so)
    OMT Z1: most growly Dingwall, yet it can be very smooth and crystaline
    Villex-loaded Voodoo: (Villex "Classic" loaded) most huge lows, different timbres accross the strings
    "Brazil": Very full and compex mids (more spread than the "Uber Alles"
    Emerald Green: (Villex NVT loaded) "wider" sounding than the Villex-loaded Vodoo, yet very versatile and totally different
    First ever Prima Artist: it's the most comfortable 6 I've ever tried and the sound is on par with the rest of the herd.
    Z2: just had FD3s retrofitted last week and it's the dream MM style bass (growl wise) and then some
    Prima Artist 5: a joy to hold, play and listen

Choosing 9 out of 19 proves that it's very hard not be spoiled from the quality of Sheldon's masterpieces of functional high end art

The rest of the Dingwalls (or Done-well as a friend calls them) offer different sounds that I am still applying in different settings and bands. All Dingwalls get their workout in rotation (very few of the conventional basses get as much workout as my Dingwalls)

9. Villex-loaded Voodoo: (Villex "Classic" loaded) most huge lows, different timbres accross the strings

That one out that list, prob would be the one I would like!

10. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    The lows on the Villex-loaded Voodoo are huge but more old school and quite different compared with the FD3 and PA equipped Dingwalls. When I was playing at the Mama Africa Art Festival (Dub Incorporation and Max Romeo were the headliners) I chose this one for the tone needed for the gig. And the across the strings tonal balance is very different compared to the other Dingwalls

11. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I need to add that Dingwalls have the best and most harmonically balanced tone ever. The Voodoo is even bigger sounding in the lows

12. I do like my AB I, but it is a little bright for my tastes, till I changed the pre in it. I feel it gave it some more heft in the low end department.

13. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    The AB I's sport FD1's that are more hi-fi and bright sounding.

14. Mine has the FD3's in it.. just for thought.

15. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Please excuse another dumb question that dingwall owners are probably tired of answering. Because of the differing in scale lengths it looks like your right hand ends up much closer to the bridge on the G vs the B if you don't deliberately move towards the neck as you reach for the thin strings. Is it noticeable in practice or do you find you just make automatic adjustments? Ta.

16. If you start out real close to the bridge when playing the bigger strings, then yes, I have noticed that on a occasion. What I do is play where I want to play with respect to the bridge on the smaller strings, and may end up a bit further away from the bridge on the bigger strings. This works fine and I don't feel the need to consciously move up and down the strings longitudinally as I move up and down the strings vertically.

However, I will say that because I play using the floating thumb technique, the natural motion of my hand as it moves up and down the strings vertically actually follows with the angle of the bridge, so I suspect that I may naturally maintain a fairly constant distance from the bridge without thinking about it.

17. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Thanks BB. The B is supposed to be so clear/tight on those things that it's probably not so bad that you end up a little further from the bridge on the low notes. That new stripped down GL afterburner caught my eye so I started wondering.

18. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Who's got the oldest?

Mine is from '96 maybe earlier IIRC? From the original shop that burnt down(RIP).

I've had it since new from '97.

TONS of low-end & a breeze to play(9pc neck).

It was also an expo bass at NAMM(I have pics somewhere).

Here's 2 bad pics.

Kudos to Sheldon,
    ~S~

Attached Files:

RyoCanCan likes this.
  19. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Think I may have you beat by a couple years. They are built to last without a doubt, versatility and playability is off the charts. I'm going to try to get some good outside pics this weekend(new camera!). IMG_0041.jpg

RyoCanCan likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 19, 2021