Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...not likely...

What year is yours?

What the # on the headstock?

~S~

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    #1031. What's yours?

3. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    BTW, I miss you're bassoon!

4. I love the top on that one Devilman! Your number is 16 if you want it!

Randy

5. Dingwall number 1031 is #17 in the club! Welcome Lowphatbass!

6. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    HA!

I think our bass' tops were from the same cut IIRC? We have been through this before.

My # is 1168. You're senior to me.

Are you the original owner?

~S~

PS: Was yours at NAMM...Ha Ha...

austin2112 likes this.
  7. Genocide Roach = 1
    Fullrange = 2
    BuffaloBob4343 = 3
    Franco Bollo = 4
    RedDavid = 5
    Blues Cat = 6
    Paul M = 7
    JAUQO III-X = 8
    xlows = 9
    PB+J = 10
    Smallmouth_Bass = 11
    bassplayinbill = 12
    FCM3 = Lucky 13
    CanadaMan = 14
    SpiritBass = 15
    Devilman = 16
    LowPhatBass = 17

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Why...Of course!...

cheers,
    ~S~

9. Akami

Akami Four on the floor Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    If this is the older one then I'm assuming you replaced the Barts?

Both nice basses!

10. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yea, been a member of the "unofficial" Dingwall club since late 94 the best I can remember. My bass has been through some retro-fits with FD-3's, OBP-3 and a BQ switch. BTW, if memory serves correct, you're original Barts were built by capable hands to Sheldon's satisfaction specifically for his basses, so in a sense he's been in the pick-up game from a function standpoint for quite a while. I don't know exactly how tweaked the original Barts were but they were by no means, "off the shelf".(EDIT) I don't think you implied this D-man, someone referred to it earlier..

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    How does the Aggie compare to the Bart pre?

IIRC, the Barts are P-style single coils in the old Dingwalls? Been awhile since I've spoke to Sheldon.

Looking to upgrade my electronics shortly myself, this bass just KILLS & has much more in it for recording & live stuff.

~S~

PS: I gigged this bass for a few years & recorded a bunch with it, no low-end like it anywhere...

12. Sorry I'm late guys. Here's my Afterburner 1, which I ordered from Bass Central 3 years ago. I've never played a B string like it (of course we all know that, right?) I like to run it through my Sadowsky outboard preamp, although it sounds good passive too. Am I number 18?

Basspics002.jpg

13. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    My "Uber Alles" (need to look up the SN, post fire fore sure) sported Barts p/ups and preamp. Now it sports FD3's (after few years with FD1's), still Bart preamp and new saddles (installed last week). The Barts were tuned to Sheldon's specs.

I have compared the Bart to Aggie preamp on the Z2 last week (not the Ruby Red, but the trans-Blue Z2; it got FD3's and OBP3 to replace the Barts and the Bart pre) and I can say this: The Bart pre is more subtle to changes whereas the OBP3 is more aggressive (both being 18V). The Z2 now seriously challenges my avatar Z1 as to which is the growliest Dingwall ever!!!

14. Yes you are! Number 18

15. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    May I apply for another 18 numbers, since I have another 18 Dingwalls? :p:p:p

16. :D Only one number per family household!

17. Fullrange = 2
    BuffaloBob4343 = 3
    Franco Bollo = 4
    RedDavid = 5
    Blues Cat = 6
    Paul M = 7
    JAUQO III-X = 8
    xlows = 9
    PB+J = 10
    Smallmouth_Bass = 11
    bassplayinbill = 12
    FCM3 = Lucky 13
    CanadaMan = 14
    SpiritBass = 15
    Devilman = 16
    LowPhatBass = 17
    Bass Viking = 18

18. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Here's the deal...
    My bass went from having all the original Bart fixin's to FD-3's and the OBP-3 so I can only contrast the two combinations. Our basses are very close brothers so I can tell you there are some tricks to getting the OBP-3 in you're bass(xtra knob for the Mids)and running it at 18v without modifying the cavity requires quite the stuff-job.
    Running at 18v the Aggie obviously has alot more "headroom" at the tone controls. The high and low frequency capabilities are extended, you can get mega-thunderous down low, an extra basement if you will. This huge bottom combined with the extra "sparkle" up top give the bass a bit of Hi-Fi vibe, but in my bass these FD-3's have a rawness to them that place them well outside of that classification. The biggest ear-opener for me was bark and growl of the neck pup solo'd, it is quite literally like having a P-Bass on the gig. I was never a P guy whatsoever and I have gained huge respect and reverence for them through this experience. If you decide to do a retro-fit and don't like it you can always return the bass to stock and you're spare parts should be easy to liquidate if you need to recoup costs.
    If you have any questions that may not be thread relevant feel free to PM me.

19. Yes, and the tone controls are very sensitive too. You don't have to move the knob very much to make a drastic change in the tone. When I changed my wiring from passive to the Aggie pre, I noticed a huge difference in the way the bass sounded. To me, it took some off some edgieness and smoothed out the sound of the bass. But then, I also wired the pups in parallel and not in series.

20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    [​IMG]
    My AB-1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you ask nicely enough, it turns out that the Voodoo body shape isn't as extinct as you might think. Here's my soon-to-be Z-1 in its earliest state. It's been on-deck since last spring!

[​IMG]

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2021