1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dirty comedians

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dusty89, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Dusty89

Dusty89

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm tired of listening to dirty comedians now a days. I know the concept is nothing new, but it seems to have gotten completely out of hand. I can't even listen to the ones on Comedy Central without hearing profanity. A truly good comedian can make one laugh without cursing even once. In fact, the funniest performances in my mind were from comedians who kept it clean. I feel that this takes true talent. I don't mind a little dirty humor sprinkled in, but some acts are just out of hand.

So come on guys, stop looking for cheap laughs and learn to develop your talent. This will only elevate the world of comedy.

2. example?

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Jerry Seinfeld, Bill Cosby, Sinbad, and even Mitch Hedberg to an extent.

4. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Some of these comedians start out with a MF as they're coming on stage. The art of storytelling is almost a lost one. I enjoy Paul Mooney who uses some profanity but is mostly a storyteller, whereas Dice Clay, well... sadly a lot of new acts don't learn the art of really setting up a good joke or just haven't lived long enough. I heard a comic say to a person "your momma's cooking is so bad that all the flies got together and fixed the holes in the screens"....imaginative, paints a picture, funny as hell. And he doesn't curse.

5. Jim Gaffigan, hands down.

6. I really enjoy dirty comedians... I think they're hilarious.

Eddie Murphy's 'Delirious' is my all time favourite stand up act.

7. Hedberg. Nice!

8. Dusty89

Dusty89

Apr 4, 2011
    Recently I just watched a film called "Apostles of Comedy." At first I had no idea what I was getting into, but some of the performances, especially Anthony Griffith, had me rolling over. The guys were are as followed:

Jeff Alen
    Brad Stine
    Anthony Griffith
    Ron Pearson

Anthony Griffith was hilarious and used to open for Bernie Mac. Bernie Mac told him that what he liked the most about him is how he kept his act clean.

These guys are just one example. But other notoriously clean guys like Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Cosby are just classy. I find this line of comedy refressing.

9. The classify the worst of comedians as "dirty." Simply using profanity or low-brow humor here and there doesn't bother me but those that do it excessively to the point of seeming like their trying to offend rather than be funny - can't stand 'em. The best example I could give would be Lisa Lapannelli. The second I see her face I change the channel.

10. God yes.

11. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    It's not just comedy that has gotten increasingly 'dirty' in recent years. Basically every form of entertainment from tv, to film, to music has slowly began to go down that path. It honestly doesn't bother me that much, but it's kinda sad that it's becoming hard to find a film that's targeted towards adults that doesn't contain gratuitous amounts of sex, violence, or vulgarity.

12. Dusty89

Dusty89

Apr 4, 2011
    Lisa Lapannelli, agreed.

13. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah! And those darn kids won't stay off my lawn!!!

14. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    I just hate her because she seems to think that just because she dates a black man she is instantly allowed to say some of the things that she does and it's acceptable. She's trash.

15. Shanannigan

Shanannigan

Feb 25, 2011
    Ontario
    I don't find profanity offensive. But low brow comedy annoys me, whether they use profanity or not. Such as Larry The Cable Guy, or Dane Cook.

It's not profanity that ruins comedy at all, as you said it's the lack of story telling. I like comedians who use clever methods to sneak up on you with a punch line.

16. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    i have to agree to a certain extent. while i don't mind (sometimes even expect) a certain amount of 'filth' in a current comedy act, i absolutely cannot stand people like Kat Williams, Wanda Sykes, and some of Lampanelli's bits. this is also one of the reasons i detest the Comedy Central 'Roasts'. an hour of celebrity comedians insulting other celebrities (90% of which is censored)? no thanks.

17. colcifer

colcifer Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Anyone else here a Tom Lehrer fan? I Got It From Agnes is hilarious, one of the dirtiest things you will ever hear, and hasn't a single dirty word. Dirty jokes are a lot of fun when they're clever; it's the comedians that aren't clever I don't like.

18. I'm not convinced that the dirtiness in comedy has gotten worse in recent years. George Carlin was hilarious and he was a dirty mofo.

19. Yes. I hate that. Somehow, they think that's funny.
    Along similar lines, there are "comic actors" who think that
    just saying the names of genitalia are funny. Tina Fey comes
    to mind. She must think she is breaking comic ground or
    something but she is completely unfunny. She does this in
    every single appearance. It is lame and it grows more
    annoying every time she does it.

Sad but true.

20. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

If it isn't low brow I don't get it....

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021