Drummers - ugh

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Biggbass, Aug 1, 2019.

1. FTD and use the kickboard from now on

78 vote(s)
    73.6%
  2. Give the guy another chance

28 vote(s)
    26.4%
  1. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    This past Saturday night we had an outdoor gig at a cool Winery venue 2 hours from home where we've played several times. Venue requires original music only and the audience really 'gets it' and shows their appreciation. The owners and crowd like our band and our music. And it pays well. All in all, very much worth the drive there and back.

3 days before the gig our drummer decided he didn't want to attend the pre gig rehearsal or play the gig, even though it has been on our calendar for about 3 months, and suggested we play it without him. His reason was that it was going to be too hot outside.

Our time slot was 7p-10p on an outdoor stage that is completely shaded by 4pm. Sound and lights and cooling fans provided by venue. Easy load in & out. Great food and great wine for the band.

It hit 93 on Saturday and by 7pm it was in the 80's, and in the 70's by 9pm. We had a breeze blowing straight towards us the entire time. He missed a great gig.

We ended up using a kick board, which sounded great, and several audience members came up to us after we played with compliments and questions about some of the songs, where to buy CDs, where to download, when we're coming back, etc.

Plus, the kick board showed up on time, didn't complain, and didn't require a share of the payout.

I called him yesterday and told him what he missed and, in our conversation, he said he had scheduled a conflicting commitment for that night to have dinner - a cookout - with another couple, something he never mentioned when he bailed on the gig with the 'too hot' excuse.

Drummers.....ugh.

I know....

2. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    how long has this drummer been with you and are you generally happy with his playing and his presence? i'm not sure that would matter to me since he lied to get out of the gig to go to a cookout - which i'm assuming was also outdoors as it's a cookOUT.

would the kickboard be suitable for all your shows?

3. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    A cookout? Holy crap. Is everyone okay?

If you can do the gigs without him, without it compromising the music, fire him. Otherwise, also fire him.

4. 4SG

4SG

Mar 6, 2014
    tumblr_inline_n6jswxw2Il1rqo3at.gif
    If you can't answer Sherlock, FTD

5. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    (Also, what is a kickboard? I tried to google it, but I’m assuming you’re not talking about water sports... so...)???

6. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
  7. ALSO
    Kickboards come in cool eye catching colors!
    kickboard.jpg

Bobro, Sixgunn, 2112 and 7 others like this.
  8. FTD. Whether or not the F is for "fire" is up to you. (It's not when I say it in MY head.)

L Anthony, Bobro, two fingers and 5 others like this.
  9. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

It is a tough situation when 1 member of the band is not committed. The too hot excuse was very weak and letting you know only 3 days before a show that has been on the books for 3 months is very weak as well.

Unless the drummer could convince me that this is a one off and would never happen again I would be looking to replace him.

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If this is the first time he has pulled stuff like this, he gets a stern warning. If not, start auditioning a new one.

The Owl, Bobro and Dincrest like this.
  11. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Not even touching the "cookout" BS, if I'm playing with that dude he is fired. You can blow out of gigs with that little notice if a close family member dies and that's pretty much it.

12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i'm not usually into "FTD" but talking with the cat about the situation (e.g., "why now --- after years of playing together?) might reveal some 'updated' attitude/thought/feeling he has about the band and its direction.

bottom line: talk with him! good luck being as honest with him as you have been with us! :thumbsup:

13. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    a kick board is a piece of wood with a pickup installed in a routed channel, covered with carpet or rubber, you lay it down in front of you and tap your foot on it.
    In our case, our acoustic guitarist made one. It's the width of his pedal board and measures 1' x 12' x approx 24". One side is carpeted and the other is covered with a thick rubber sheet. He routed a channel into it and installed a pickup (not sure exactly which pickup) into it, mounted an input socket to the edge of it, and plugs a guitar cable into the socket that goes to the PA.

The carpeted side gives a nice thump, like a kick drum, and the rubber coated side gives more of a heavy tap. It sounds great mixed in just enough to come off like a kick drum. And it can be played standing or sitting since it's flat.

We have an old kick simulator pedal but you have to be sitting down to play it. He built the board so he could use it standing up.

BTW: this is the first time our drummer has done this. He's been rock solid for years, plus he's the best drummer I've ever played with, and he's a great person.
    I think a warning shot over the bow is in order.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  14. 2BitHack

2BitHack

Nov 11, 2014
    AZ
    Dont fire him yet, wait until the next gig. Then, get there early, put the kick board and triangle in his area and tell him he can play that or go to another cookout.

swafran and Bodeanly like this.
  15. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Inactive

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    I'm not going to call our drummer flaky, because he isn't; he's busy. Wife & kids he's very committed to (applause), work, & a small business he & his wife are running from home. You know, commitments. It does interfere with our practices more than I'd prefer, but I admire his work ethic & he's never missed a gig.

Having said that, this can be helpful for practices, & we did use it on one gig when our original drummer had a mild stroke (he's OK...well, he's a drummer, but he's OK) :D

BeatBuddy-large.jpg

...BTW, if this is a habit, then FTD! If not, I'd have already had a discussion

16. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    +1. I think this is the most sensible course of action. It sucks having to be the "bad guy" in the band, but a member flaking out (especially for a flimsy reason) and lying about it is irresponsible.

I've dealt with more than my fair share of guitarists who've pulled that nonsense. At one point or another, they all ended up getting kicked to the curb because they were repeat offenders.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    barrenelly likes this.
  17. Magthegrate

Magthegrate Way less skilled than my gear suggests.

Sep 18, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If it's on the calendar then you're committed, unless you or someone in your immediate family dies. period.
    I've turned down a good paying gig to play one that was tips only, because I committed to it first.

FTD. Use Garage Band if you have to in the meantime for backing tracks.

18. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Cape Cod
    Drummers + marriage problems = existential pain all around. He messed up with his wife, and chose his happy home over your band (most do). A warning should suffice, unless she is trying to stop him from playing altogether (it happens).

19. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I would replace him. Seriously, "too hot" give me a break.

Aqualung60, jerry and HardNHeavy like this.
  20. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    Fire the kickboard and the drummer.

lokikallas, arbiterusa and SirMjac28 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021